• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2015 Health and Fitness Challenge!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I cut out Coke for a whole year and then this summer started up again while I was travelling. I didn't really enjoy it the same, but it was convenient. When I started working at the school this fall again, they had a vending machine and I've been really tired, so a can or two a day pick me up has started to become my habit, as well as hot chocolate after school. I decided for the new year, that I need to reduce sugar (even though it didn't make any weight difference before), so I've quit Coke and hot chocolate, reducing sugar and dairy a lot. My legs and vocal cords still are swelling up all the time, for no reason, so I figured that since sugar increases water retention and is really bad for you anyway, that's a good place to start.

My Fitbit Force died and I am eager to get it replaced with the Charge HR, which hasn't come out yet. I find that it's motivating to know how many steps I've gone in the day. With teaching more, I've increased the amount of steps, although it's still under what it should be.

I think this coming week I'm going to start small with strength training to add a few squats and pushups a day. Not time consuming, but starts to carve out a time for it and a space for that in my head.

I'm also working on drinking minimum two litres of water a day and taking supplements. I used to do that easily, but I've gotten lazy.

I'm noticing that the worse I'm doing physically, the less emotional energy I have to tackle anything.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have a love/hate buzzfeed relationship. I liked this article a ton though.

24 Diagrams To Help You Eat Healthier

Tons of infographics that keep it simple and sweet and while some are bit inaccurate (like using the ANDI index for charting foods like lettuce and kale and such) none of the info is bad and some of it is pretty awesome. Seeing a visual for pistachios vs walnuts was interesting in and of itself.

Man. This weight is coming off SOOOOOOO slowly. I need to remain patient. I lost about 5lbs a month for the first half of last year, then stalled out, now it's moving again but VERY slowly. I have 50+ lbs to go, but better for it to take a long time and be sustainable than go fast and come right back, right? Somebody reassure me. :)

Of COURSE it's okay for it to be slow and steady. It's all about what you can do and what you can maintain afterwards. So if your food intake and consumption is powerful and you're just where you want to be, and you're doing what you can exercise wise, then you're golden girl. :hug:

For me, there's always a 'weight loss' phase followed by a 'maintenance' phase.. because when I WAS slightly overweight (25 lbs overweight to be precise) I worked hard on calorie counts.. but the amount I eat to maintain weight is different from the weight loss thing. When it comes to larger amounts of weight, slow and steady wins the race..

.. but if you're feeling impatient with the program, I'd recommend increasing exercise and mobility vs changing the diet itself. It isn't SO bad to say, "Hey, I want to feel MORE accomplished this month, so I'm going to work out an extra day, or use heavier weights.. Or I'm going to try making my own condiments instead of buying them because they're lower calorie." The program is good and great, but changing things up can make one happy too. It all depends on what works best for you. But I wouldn't feel guilty about wanting to change the program up to be a bit more intense if the only reason is for the intensity and challenge... If it's just to see weight fall off alone, you'll slide down a slippery slope of, "I can do more, I can do better... I can't do enough, I suck, I'm not getting better" reward/punishment traps. The attitude makes the difference.

For me substitutions were always the way to go and continue to be. Portion control + substitutions = winner winner. I feel full, satisfied, eating what I want each day, and all's well that ends well. For exercise, I like intense training on a daily basis ideally (so I felt great running 3-4 days a week, aerobics twice a week, weight lifting twice a week, and Jillian Michaels work outs 4 days a week), and I'm still struggling with balancing a lack of intensity for the sake of my medical issues with still needing to do SOMETHING to gain muscle mass (I suck at this part so far lol)... But Everyone's different.

Is it only the weight that annoys you? Or is the slow process feeling boring and dragging along? Because if it's the latter, there are tons of things you can do to make things more exciting (like for me, I like discovering I can make an awesome gravy out of lentils, or brownies out of black beans, and playing with restaurant foods I saw that I liked and looking up similar recipes online instead of splurging there.. Basically new recipes and foods keep me entertained) and keep you enthusiastic.. and if you 'fall back' to 'old habits' those habits are STILL the ones you needed to keep on track and lose weight.. so no big deal.

If you're happy, and its just the weight, rest assured you're probably doing fine. :yes:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I'm not really bored with the process, just frustrated that the weight itself is coming off so slowly. I think I do need to up my activity, though. Some days it's pretty good, but other days I'm shockingly sedentary. I can add something to those days. I don't really think I can cut my calories any more without risking a reactive binge. I do think I can cook more at home and do some substitutions, as you say, but I actually find I stay fuller if I stick with the "real deal" (e.g. full-fat dairy, et. al.) and get enough protein.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I cut out Coke for a whole year and then this summer started up again while I was travelling. I didn't really enjoy it the same, but it was convenient. When I started working at the school this fall again, they had a vending machine and I've been really tired, so a can or two a day pick me up has started to become my habit, as well as hot chocolate after school. I decided for the new year, that I need to reduce sugar (even though it didn't make any weight difference before), so I've quit Coke and hot chocolate, reducing sugar and dairy a lot.

Yeah unfortunately sugar is really easy to burn off so reducing it won't necessarily help with the weight loss department. It does do a plethora of benefits, like reduce inflammation reactions and such, but weight loss is a simple calories in, calories out ratio. If you are consuming more calories than you are spending, you just won't lose weight no matter how healthy the foods are that you're eating. Now some foods burn more readily than others, and that affects it, but the simplest easiest way to look at it is the in/out ratio. Your body doesn't really care why those calories increase or reduce, or which kinds there are (for the purposes of weight loss or gain), it just adjusts as needed. (example: Beorn's weight loss due to being sick vs Ivy's slow-and-steady method.. and the principle of the body holding onto calories if it isn't fed regularly.)

Yeah, I'm not really bored with the process, just frustrated that the weight itself is coming off so slowly. I think I do need to up my activity, though. Some days it's pretty good, but other days I'm shockingly sedentary. I can add something to those days. I don't really think I can cut my calories any more without risking a reactive binge. I do think I can cook more at home and do some substitutions, as you say, but I actually find I stay fuller if I stick with the "real deal" (e.g. full-fat dairy, et. al.) and get enough protein.

No binging please! :D Sedentary can be mixed up all kinds of ways, from stretching during commercial breaks using old-lady-chair stretches (my favorite) to full on TV-show workouts: 43 Workouts That Allow You To Watch An Ungodly Amount Of Television etc. etc. (hint: if those work outs are super intense you can reduce them.. or change the move entirely. I always tell my mom never be afraid to change the work out on the DVD.. they can't see you or tell you it's wrong. She started out with P90X just walking in place for 20-30 minutes broken up over an hour. 6 months later, she could do 3 sit ups.)

I tend to stick to the real deal foods when they star the show (i.e. I think tofu burgers are stupid for example, and nothing replaces a sausage, or bacon, or butter on toast) but switch out the little things that can make a serious difference (like using sour cream on a burger instead of mayo, cauliflower fried rice when I'm eating stir-fry and orange chicken, using chia-seed jelly instead of sugary jams, or gravy on mashed potatoes since I use hot sauce and ungodly amounts of lime no matter what kind of gravy it is, or oven-frying meat instead of pan-frying it). It's the sort of thing I jive with well enough. Sometimes they suck (i.e. nearly half of the entire cooking-yourself-thin cookbook ) but when they do well (like boiling chicken wings in salty water, patting them dry, then cooking them high heat on a non-stick aluminum foil flipping halfway through so they come out just as crispy as fried without any added ingredients) I replace them entirely.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Man. This weight is coming off SOOOOOOO slowly. I need to remain patient. I lost about 5lbs a month for the first half of last year, then stalled out, now it's moving again but VERY slowly. I have 50+ lbs to go, but better for it to take a long time and be sustainable than go fast and come right back, right? Somebody reassure me. :)
Yes... absolutely.
I'm stalled out too, but at least I'm not gaining.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Checking in for the past week...
I did my ab crunches every morning and I did my video workout all 3 days,
but on one of the days, I was trying to hurry, didn't use a chair to balance with and burned out my legs half way through,
so I only did half the workout.

I sit in front of the tv at night and all I want to do is eat.
I think that's why I'm not losing weight.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Checking in for the past week...
I did my ab crunches every morning and I did my video workout all 3 days,
but on one of the days, I was trying to hurry, didn't use a chair to balance with and burned out my legs half way through,
so I only did half the workout.

I sit in front of the tv at night and all I want to do is eat.
I think that's why I'm not losing weight.

Are you eating enough throughout the day? I got SUPER used to two BIG meals while on vacation (aka tons of snacking in the morning and a huge dinner later) and I'm having to re-adjust to eating a little bit every few hours right now.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-Last week was hard to fit exercising in. How bout you [MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION] ? :)

-Been doing good with the water

-Haven't juiced at all. Have to probably wait on that, which im sad about.

-Not too bad on the salad...just havent brought it to work yet

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
here's how to lose weight with a heavy work schedule.

After you work...you go straight to bike. On bike you do 40-60 minutes...very slowly while listening to audio tapes or whatever...I did it listening to audio tapes for a big test. it helped...sometimes i would switch to music. I kept my ass on the bike for 40 minutes....once I did two hours....you have to really enjoy sweating...coconut oil for the long sits help too...you know...for those butt sores.

Now, after doing that for 1-6 months...you should have lost enough wait to start running. Start with 1 mile a day, at 15-20 minutes then go to the bike...you keep doing this.

Do pushups and lots of work for your core in the meantime. Do not lift weights until you can run 1 mile. If you cannot run a mile you should not be lifting weights for reasons far to numerous to mention but mostly becauas eyou do not have the body unity to perform the exercises properly.

Pushups, and ab work...whatever ab work you want to do...I recommend finding an athlete or person you admire who is fit and watching them train their abs...

Core strength is the most important thing...it is what gives you energy for everything else. If I skip my core strength...I can't squirt out a 4 mile run...I have to reduce it to a slow 2-3 miles...amkes a big big difference.

As for diet....instead of counting calories and sugar just stop eating fast foods, period. No more fast food, ever...unless it's a chicken sandwhich and it's not fried. Eat rice, bananas, apples, oranges.....potatoes...don't worry about carbs if you are doing 40-60 minutes on the bike at least 4-6 times a week...you will need the carbs.

The point of it all is this...

no more fast food, ever for the rest of you rlife. This is a lifestyle change....after you stop eating fast food to maybe a frequency of once or twice a month you have been a success.

Your family will hate you...and you will be lonely...when I gave up pizza I gave up 50% of all outings as in this city people like to eat lots of pizza and drink beer.

None of that now...if you are over 25 and your new years resolution is to lose weight...you rnew years resolution should be modified to live healthily.

Eat juicy oranges
Eat juicy apples
Eat banans with a table of honey and peanut butter...
make sweet potatoes with dark chocolate melted on top...

No more processed food...it's all lean meats...

Once you lost weight to a level of running three fifteen minute miles...that's 45 minutes of running go ahead and eat more liberally...if you can't run cause you have messed up legs just do it all on a bike by adding resistance...and if your bum hurts from biking go on the eliptical....but always go 40 minutes and four to six times.

Here's a tip...once the ball gets going...you will really like it...and on a saturday you might go two hours on the bike...and take a day off or something...hell go ten minutes do ten pushups and do that for forty minutes...

just do it for more than 40 or 40 on the dot...no less....4 times a week for months....

it will be easy if you eat the right carbs....and build a healthy calorie deficit instead of going no carbs and eating a bunch of crazy meat sandwhiches or something....without rice or some carbs you won't have an effective workout....you will just go in there like a zombie and never really get fitter...maybe lose some weight but in the long run...you will be back where you started.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
-Last week was hard to fit exercising in. How bout you [MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION] ? :)
Didn't fit in much exercise the past week also. Was living in a more solitude manner but didn't utilise it for improving my physical health. I'm picking myself up on that though at the moment so hopefully a more healthy week this time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Let's see how I'm doing here...

Exercise:
Yoga twice a week, heavy weights for the legs (2 days) and arms (1 day), and a run day and work my way up from there. Abs three times a week. That gives me a day off inbetween those things with just the stretching. Three times a week I need to do physical therapy on my legs on top of the stretching too, to keep my legs in shape enough.

Tomorrow is my run day. NOT looking forward to it (I HATE THE COLD!) but I'll eat hot soup afterwards for some shred of consolation. Tonight it's Abs, Yoga, and hip stretches. I didn't do anything Sunday and Monday prepping for clinical days..

I'm gonna split it into two-a-days 3 days a week for my sanity. Short-burst (<10minute) work out segments, stretching + hip therapy in the mornings, and a longer work out (yoga, cardio, whole body, arms, legs x2) and abs x3 in the evenings. I just can't handle yoga more than once a week right now. It's still annoying to me and I get impatient with it.

Nutrition:

I've been making plans to get my teeth into better health. I've been reading a lot of research about A/D/K2 vitamins and calcium and teeth. I was taking a multivitamin (half doses with gummies which are notorious for not being as readily absorbed) to supplement my diet, and I need to get back on that track again. I'm going to try a new tooth care routine, one piece at a time, and see how that goes for the next few weeks.

So vitamins are pretty stupid confusing.. tons of research going into this stupid thing just to find a decent brand/price range for these guys.
https://labdoor.com/ These guys have been helping a lot. They also have stuff on protein supplements and fish oils.
They sort of (?) confirmed my fears that gummy vitamins suck (I sort of knew that though) but gummies are 210% more likely to be taken than gels.

At the end of the day, I need to go get blood work done to see what I'm actually deficient/sufficient in, so that I can tell if taking a multi is even necessary, or if I can just switch to "eat an extra yogurt/egg/whatever a day" or something. So my goal for January is to get blood work done, start taking vitamin D3, and continue collecting my tooth experiments and research.

Also tried chewing sticks, and the first brand is.... sort of a total flop. It fall apart in my mouth and makes it not-so-fun. I'm going to try a different brand.

Also, for some reason my stomach has started rejecting whole milk. I'm going to try dropping back down to 2% or skim, and see if that helps, but if it doesn't then I'll be a very sad bird.

2% worked fine again. :)

Diet:
My main goal is just home cooked, from scratch foods at least 6 days a week--no convenience foods or instant packets of soups, gravies, and things like that. I'll make broth if I want a soup, for example, or just use water. Or I'll make my own salad dressings. This doesn't include condiments like ketchup though I will buy no-sugar-added low-sodium versions. This will start officially on January 7th when I am home and settled in more. Canned goods that are low sodium are okay, and freezer-packed vegetables and fruits are okay as well. If I go out to eat, I'm going to pick a restaurant that serves healthier foods and options like sushi, pho, or salads and protein from the menu.

Doing Meh in this department. I AM eating home cooked foods, and breaking down how I make foods at home right now. Whole foods for snacks (fruit or dried fruit mainly), I did eat McDonalds and Pizza once each which were free from family members, but Pho is tomorrow which I'm cool with, and the past 3-4 days has been home cooked goodness of breakfast tacos, potato hash, homemade leftover chili (though I'm thinking that's half legit and my dad added some cans of stuff into it), and a chicken noodle soup my BIL cooked (though I also think he added a ton of bouillon cubes, so I'm only half-counting that.)

I keep track of my calories with myfitnesspal, but I am going to start keeping better track of my water and drinks (I used to not track those at all), and I don't have too much trouble hitting calorie marks but I want to focus on trying to stay under the sugar goal and over the protein goal. (Next month I aim to start tracking my vitamins and minerals and such to see if I'm getting enough)

Stayed well below my sugar goal today! 70+ day streak on MFP, started being more accurate with my drink logs (mostly because I switched to drinking 'extra' drinks at dinner and have tea and water the rest of the day). I almost thought I would be under my calories for today until I added a tablespoon of peanut butter and some milk to it. Gotta work on that balance.

I want to switch over to coconut and olive oils nearly exclusively.

Easily accomplished. I'm buying a coconut oil cooking spray to make it a bit more fun next time I go grocery shopping.

I'm going to try eating sprouted grains for the vast majority of my grain intake (or sprouting/acid washing and soaking them myself), and try baking goods with more alternative flours or eating grains with less sugar/unsprouted content.

Sprouted grain stuff is pretty much on the back burner as I've been eating non-grains or pre-made (i.e. tortillas). However I am going to acid-wash my oats and rice before I cook and freeze them, and sprouted bread is on my agenda for sandwiches.

I'm going to make a new health food recipe each other week that I've never tried before.

Lentil gravy and Tofu chocolate pie are on the roster for this month.

I also want to incorporate vegetables into each and every meal.

Done and done! Except I'm pretty lame about it.. just a handful of greens here, onion/celery in soup there, green onion toppings.. I'll get more substantial about it though. No worries. at least it's happening.

Health:
I'm going to start being more diligent on washing my sheets and pillow cases and cleaning my cell phone and sunglasses daily, and work on not touching my face so much.
I'm going to try steadily lowering the temperature of my shower water so that I'm not drying out my skin.
I'm going to do a power clean of 15 minutes in a section of the house each day.
I'm making doctors appointments and writing them down and sticking to them, and I'm also going to pay my primary care provider a visit and see if I can't get things back on track for my hips and jaw, and I also need to speak to my VA representative and ask him questions about the documents and paperwork I was sent by the VA.

^^^^
I'm sucking at all of THIS except my appointments. I canNOT get warm which means I am sucking at shower temperatures as it's the only time of the day I feel warm. Washer and dryer are shot right now so no washing any clothes.. and I need to start using my wipes on my phone more. ooyy. I AM cleaning a section of the house each day but it's hardly 15 minutes each per room right now. Today I was just tired from all the phone calls and doctor stuff. ugh. I'll get better.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I made a playlist of some great stretching routines that, even if you just watched 1 video at a time a day, would only put you out 1 minute to 10 minutes.. Most of the videos you can skip the little intros and them talking and get straight to the good stuff and it cuts the time down a ton.

But also I have no idea how to fix it so that people can see this playlist without seeing my info too.. Sooo I suppose I'll c&p all the video links here and you can create your own playlists depending on what y'all like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-h_rtttIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlcuZ0mJSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Oa7Xm850E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuScgzVJp-s

^ The 1-minute series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-boFTgNwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyY_gA_W2zA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_EtkaF5Vk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeGTf8AtAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMBp3bRgT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxXLYQcBpWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnAqH0_InbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAsAseT39A

A full body stretching series, broken down by body areas. Each one is only a few minutes long, with the full-ones being slightly longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-CAFhJn78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbJZXG4fsd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOsE-VPpkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NePr1XKRTLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggzb-IpH8ZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvJyfrSqW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv9XGskry4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oPHrX_oALk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnKzcTems4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2G5WCJBpps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc62Ju2kUAc

I could go on listing her forever, she has some very specific videos for various problems, this is just an all-around all-body set up. The videos are 4-7 minutes in length, but really if you just want the stretches skip all the talking and it'll knock off a minute or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qby3ZsiidMY

This guy has a great glute stretch that is a lot better than most of the ones I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPkvFBrCJE

An ankle strengthening thing. It's meant for rehab, but great for non-rehab stuff too.

These next ones are longer, but full body, and while made for dancers can be used be beginners if you prefer a longer stretching video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aBPh_2eEo Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZmzwr6Fxg Part 2

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
This is the yoga I've been doing and I'm really enjoying her program.

She isn't as stuffy as other yoga programs and she shows a lot of variations and 'beginner' moves which I wasn't getting from other programs and made me constantly struggle with the poses. Having a beginner's way to transition into upward dog is super useful.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
FINALLY got some time to get up and make some from-scratch food. I ALMOST got caught up in old habits and bought salsa, fajita meat, and enchilada sauce and then I was like "NOPE!!!" Even though they were on the discount racks.

Ended up making, entirely from scratch, chicken enchiladas with salsa, charro beans and corn, shredded tangy cole slaw, and a cool dill cucumber cream salad. Pretty proud of it, but I'm not gonna lie my mom definitely helped me. Cooking from scratch is hard work!!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my mouth is literally watering reading that. haha. :smile:

why do i never think to make tangy cole slaw!! :doh: Growing up in Texas, my dad and his gf occasionally made cucumber salad with purple onions, and it swam in some sort of juice...vinegar and oil maybe? I should make that and the cole slaw sometime.

fajita meat is healthy, isn't it?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
my mouth is literally watering reading that. haha. :smile:

why do i never think to make tangy cole slaw!! :doh: Growing up in Texas, my dad and his gf occasionally made cucumber salad with purple onions, and it swam in some sort of juice...vinegar and oil maybe? I should make that and the cole slaw sometime.

fajita meat is healthy, isn't it?

Oh man I'm not gonna lie it came out pretty damn good. I don't mind cooking a ton and it lasting a couple days in a row and then doing it all over again.

I like tangy because I have the ingredients on hand vs a ton of mayo, it's easier, and I have kids in the house and it's perfect for them to make with their hands. Cabbage and onion and carrots shredded in a food processor (they love feeding it in the shoot), in a huuuge glass bowl with some salt, and they crush it with their hands for a while and break it all down. Then rinse it, let it drain forever and forget about it, and come back and dump it back in the bowl with rice wine vinegar, some brown sugar, pepper and salt, lime juice, and olive oil. Let the kids mush it all together, and let it sit in the fridge while you actually cook dinner. Easy, and I don't get my hands dirty.

The one your parents made is probably the same as what we make too: a bit of rice wine vinegar, some white vinegar, a tad bit of sugar, pepper, salt, and water, and let them float in that for a few hours. It's a milder acid and neutralizes some of the onion's bite.

Fajita meat *can* be healthy... but generally, the pieces that taste the best are the fattiest. It's not the cheapest option but it is tastier. When doing fajitas they star in the show. But enchiladas is all about that sauce and cheese, so using more expensive meat isn't really necessary. Shredded boiled breast would do just fine with all that moist sauce.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh man I'm not gonna lie it came out pretty damn good. I don't mind cooking a ton and it lasting a couple days in a row and then doing it all over again.

I like tangy because I have the ingredients on hand vs a ton of mayo, it's easier, and I have kids in the house and it's perfect for them to make with their hands. Cabbage and onion and carrots shredded in a food processor (they love feeding it in the shoot), in a huuuge glass bowl with some salt, and they crush it with their hands for a while and break it all down. Then rinse it, let it drain forever and forget about it, and come back and dump it back in the bowl with rice wine vinegar, some brown sugar, pepper and salt, lime juice, and olive oil. Let the kids mush it all together, and let it sit in the fridge while you actually cook dinner. Easy, and I don't get my hands dirty.

The one your parents made is probably the same as what we make too: a bit of rice wine vinegar, some white vinegar, a tad bit of sugar, pepper, salt, and water, and let them float in that for a few hours. It's a milder acid and neutralizes some of the onion's bite.

Fajita meat *can* be healthy... but generally, the pieces that taste the best are the fattiest. It's not the cheapest option but it is tastier. When doing fajitas they star in the show. But enchiladas is all about that sauce and cheese, so using more expensive meat isn't really necessary. Shredded boiled breast would do just fine with all that moist sauce.

Oh, nice. That does sound fun for the kids, what a good idea. I don't have a food processor though. :huh: I am so hungry now. :laugh:

OH, haha. They don't know about rice vinegar where I am from. That sounds like a good blend for a sauce, and they serve something like that at the sushi restaurant I like to go to. No, ours was literally swimming in the oil and vinegar, and you had to serve it with a slotted spoon. Of course that was Texas and the greasier the better!

I am totally making that tangy cole slaw soon.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh, nice. That does sound fun for the kids, what a good idea. I don't have a food processor though. :huh: I am so hungry now. :laugh:

OH, haha. They don't know about rice vinegar where I am from. That sounds like a good blend for a sauce, and they serve something like that at the sushi restaurant I like to go to. No, ours was literally swimming in the oil and vinegar, and you had to serve it with a slotted spoon. Of course that was Texas and the greasier the better!

I am totally making that tangy cole slaw soon.

This is the recipe I used this time, I try to change it up each time but this came out really good. I replaced the smoked corn with roasted corn though because I don't have that special equipment shit.

Tangy Coleslaw with Smoked Corn and Lime Dressing : Recipes : Cooking Channel

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are you eating enough throughout the day? I got SUPER used to two BIG meals while on vacation (aka tons of snacking in the morning and a huge dinner later) and I'm having to re-adjust to eating a little bit every few hours right now.
I eat 3 decent meals, but eating is comforting to me, so that last 2 hours of my day that I spend in front of the tv,
I just want to eat. Not because I'm hungry, just because I like eating.
I've tried to replace it with drinking tea instead and that works to a certain extent.

Checking in for the past week... SUCCESS! :static:
I did my 3 weekday workouts and my 30 ab crunches every morning!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I eat 3 decent meals, but eating is comforting to me, so that last 2 hours of my day that I spend in front of the tv,
I just want to eat. Not because I'm hungry, just because I like eating.
I've tried to replace it with drinking tea instead and that works to a certain extent.

Checking in for the past week... SUCCESS! :static:
I did my 3 weekday workouts and my 30 ab crunches every morning!

Great job on the success! :D!
Maybe an empty calorie with a few nutrients like popcorn? You can usually pick up air poppers at the thrift for like $5, and the bulk kernels are pretty cheap. Alternatively, just throw bulk kernels in a paper bag in the microwave. That's what I've been giving the kids lately when they want to eat but it's close to dinner.