User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 265

  1. #51
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Four Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Healthier Person

    Jacked this from facebook, and while I was a little skeptical about it having a similar title to my favorite article written in the universe ever, it is pretty solid. Especially this part:

    Being overweight doesn't mean that you are fat. It means that you have fat. ... Fat is not a flaw.
    If language really does dictate how we subconsciously think and feel... how many times have I really heard someone say, 'I'm fat' or 'I'm not fat'.. like it is a state of being and personality all of it's own. People say it with the same grammar used to say one's name, like it's assigned to them. Seems like it couldn't hurt me to start trying to say 'have fat' vs 'am fat' in my talking.

    In other news, I am struggling to eat enough calories right now. While my eat-veggies-everyday slogan is going pretty strongly, the issue I had was I was working night shift and night shift put me entirely out of eating 5 times a day.. instead I was only eating twice a day if I was lucky, and I was tired all the time too. Now I've switched (somewhat, I still have trouble falling asleep early) back to days again, but I do struggle with eating now because I'm not as hungry as I was and I'm sleeping when I was eating. I'm working on this, eating yogurt when I first wake up to get my stomach active before breakfast time, and trying to eat a small breakfast then lunch soon after.. dinner is killing me though, I hardly ate anything at dinner last night. I'm not sure why though, usually I see food and I eat food.

    On the bright side of things, my water-savings method is going swimmingly (hahaha), I got a discount snack container that rocks to take with me on my work days, dried figs are helping my tummy a lot (when those run out I'll switch back to prunes because they're cheaper) so I might make some breakfast bars out of those and the rest of my dates, and exercising is slowly but surely being factored back into my lifestyle. I'm starting out slowly this time so that I build up my muscles again (absolutely on the top of the charts for health goals) without burning them out and causing my hips to aggravate.

    I'm slowly working on the 30 day yoga videos... I'm not going day by day, I'm simply deciding to do yoga and then doing it so that it doesn't feel like.. such punishment.. which yoga always feels like. XD
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm slowly working on the 30 day yoga videos... I'm not going day by day, I'm simply deciding to do yoga and then doing it so that it doesn't feel like.. such punishment.. which yoga always feels like. XD
    In what way is it a punish for you?

  3. #53
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    In what way is it a punish for you?
    In the yoga way. I hate stretching, and sitting still and all that stuff. If I sit still, it's usually to read, or space out and day dream, or enjoy a beautiful scene I'll never see again or something. Being in the moment with no moment, and just stretching and.. bleh... It doesn't help that my nerves in my legs tingle and numb like crazy when I stretch a lot, sooo. Pretty much everything about yoga/stretching.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Chthonic liked this post

  4. #54
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Tried this, and it came out swimmingly. I think the pounding of the chicken has a LOT to do with it.. and a glass definitely did NOT work. I needed to use a meat hammer thingy to get them pounded flat. Buuut the recipe is super solid, and that's probably the only time I've cooked chicken breast and decided not to smear the meat in sauce to mask the dry factor.

    How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

    No marinade ahead of time, just sprinkled some spices I liked onto them, a few hits with the hammer, and off I went, and it worked. Protein in the morning I don't hate.

    Dipping sauce: Greek plain yogurt (fage), some pepper, and some hot sauce swirled together.

    Also, clearance rack date sugar! <3 I was almost out!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  5. #55
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    I'm not saying that this is what YOU are doing, but the whole 'I have fat' vs 'I am fat' thing kind of reminds me of other things in society, like alcoholism.

    Alcoholism used to be a bad thing that was 'your fault', and now it's just genetic disease you have no control over. Our society keeps moving away from personal responsibility - or 'fault' - in every area of life. I see it as counter-productive because if I didn't have any responsibility for getting myself in trouble in the first place, then I feel completely powerless to do anything to get myself out of it. That's how it feels to me, anyway. Sorry about the little rant there. Just frustrated with the ether, I guess.

    BTW: I'm confused how can you have fat yet not be eating enough? @kyuuei

  6. #56
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Tried this, and it came out swimmingly. I think the pounding of the chicken has a LOT to do with it.. and a glass definitely did NOT work. I needed to use a meat hammer thingy to get them pounded flat. Buuut the recipe is super solid, and that's probably the only time I've cooked chicken breast and decided not to smear the meat in sauce to mask the dry factor.

    How To Cook Moist & Tender Chicken Breasts Every Time

    No marinade ahead of time, just sprinkled some spices I liked onto them, a few hits with the hammer, and off I went, and it worked. Protein in the morning I don't hate.

    Dipping sauce: Greek plain yogurt (fage), some pepper, and some hot sauce swirled together.

    Also, clearance rack date sugar! <3 I was almost out!
    I used to work for Wendy's and I had to pound the chicken breasts flat with my fists before breading them. I was told it made them more tender.
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

  7. #57
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    I missed one day of my exercise program,
    but I had 2 days of aerobic exercise when I went out to shovel snow!
    I did my ab crunches every morning.
    I tried some HerbaLife meal replacement powder but I think it's making my bowels clog up.
    I think I am gaining weight; I'm frustrated with that.
    I keep having to buy bigger clothes.

  8. #58
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm not saying that this is what YOU are doing, but the whole 'I have fat' vs 'I am fat' thing kind of reminds me of other things in society, like alcoholism.

    Alcoholism used to be a bad thing that was 'your fault', and now it's just genetic disease you have no control over. Our society keeps moving away from personal responsibility - or 'fault' - in every area of life.
    I definitely feel that way too on a very personal level. It is difficult for me to empathize with people with alcoholism, and binge eating, because there IS responsibility attached. Absolutely there is. But the issue is not whether people acknowledge responsibility or not.. they obviously and clearly do... but when a problem is too daunting, responsibility feels out of reach. So there's this duality of all the 'responsibility' side being seen as negative (it's all your fault) because people disguise it into a mask of guilt, and blame, and fault.. and frequently, people are NOT fat entirely of their own doing, making things even MORE complicated. How can you tell someone it is your fault your parents raised you that way? Or that you found comfort in food when no one was there for you? Lack of resources, education, support, and general life frequently gets in the way... and that truly isn't other people's fault. Does that negate responsibility? No. That's why diet and exercise and creating healthy relationships with food education and body image are super important... but people have to get there in their own time.. and responsibility is gray there.. Existing the whole time, sure, but how it's presented makes a big impact. It should be a positive weapon a person can wield against the negativity in their lives... frequently it is used as a shaming shackle being dragged with them, painting them as a target for ridicule. Are there plenty of people who choose easy ways out and are generally unhealthy foreverz? Sure. But most fat people that struggle with weight (i.e. feel/are/have fat in excessive amounts to what is healthy for them) struggle for reasons that are far removed from the body and eating itself. More often than not the issue is mental. Unrealistic ideas of what the body should look like, etc. etc.

    It is like I told my father, who has anger issues and bursts he cannot control because of his medication. It isn't that you GIVE UP just because it is much more difficult.. but that you work harder on it than most people will ever have to.. and yes, definitely, people should be considerate of the fact you have to work 3x as hard on something most people don't even think about. Responsibility is not removed from his hands there. But it isn't really his fault he's in the situation he's in, either. There was a severe lack of education on shell shock back when my father was in the service.. and delayed reactions hit him very hard.

    Personally, I am definitely with you. I can't empathize as much... but I've seen enough to know that frequently people can feel beaten down and powerless because people paint this mask of responsibility that doesn't cover the whole picture. Yeah, fat people have to work harder to be healthy (just like people who have hyperactive metabolisms have to work very hard to keep up with nutrient requirements) because there's several layers of issues there normally.. and in that, they definitely hold the key of responsibility. No one is completely without blame. But total blame isn't really the whole picture either.

    BTW: I'm confused how can you have fat yet not be eating enough?
    To be fair, I don't really have any excess fat. Not for a woman my height and weight. I could use a bit more if anything. MY issue is my lack of muscle gains. But your argument is precisely why I like the article. Because it DOES put responsibility, in a positive light, back into someone's hands. They are NOT fat. As in.. that is not their identity. Fat is not a personality trait, or something crazy like that. It is something changeable that does NOT sacrifice a person being true to themselves.. and in fact, frequently, people get more in touch with themselves when they challenge their stances with their own body. They learn what was truly bothering them.. what was holding them back. That they aren't lazy, or unable, or incapable.. that really x issue was bothering them and never went away. That they never felt strong enough, or good enough, or worthy enough. Whatever it is.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  9. #59
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I missed one day of my exercise program,
    but I had 2 days of aerobic exercise when I went out to shovel snow!
    I did my ab crunches every morning.
    I tried some HerbaLife meal replacement powder but I think it's making my bowels clog up.
    I think I am gaining weight; I'm frustrated with that.
    I keep having to buy bigger clothes.
    :/ I do not like Herbal life products at all. My father used to sell them for a while, and I think it was a total scam. One step removed from a pyramid scheme, definitely there to earn money and not be there for health. Why do you want to replace a meal?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #60
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ...Why do you want to replace a meal?
    Well that's what it's called. You drink this drink that has all the vitamins, minerals and nutrition of a meal, but it's supposed to help you lose weight.
    But an hour later my stomach is growling to high heaven.

Similar Threads

  1. Poetry of the Depressed and Existentially Challenged
    By Anja in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 05:47 AM
  2. What traits give you the edge in health and fitness?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
  3. [MBTItm] NFJ's and fitting
    By ColonelGadaafi in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
  4. your health and fitness (especially runners)
    By Ulaes in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO