User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Thank you! I ended up asking my therapist for advice, as well as an RD friend who moderates in the Facebook group for ED recovery I'm in (you know the one). My therapist recommended someone, and I asked my RD friend to take a look at that recommendation as well as the place I already went to. Her advice was super helpful. She said that the place I went to was what they call a "nutrition mill," just a big corporate place where they crank through clients. Like a diet center, kind of one step above Weight Watchers or NutriSystem or whatever. Good for the most uncomplicated of cases only. RDs there are largely new and inexperienced (definitely the case with the one I saw- she was sweet as can be, but clearly had no experience with BED). The RD my therapist recommended is a small, independent practice that is much more in line with my philosophy and has my ETF RD friend's enthusiastic seal of approval. The new RD has taught public health at UNC and has been a practicing RD for over 20 years. And she cites flexibility as a major goal on her website, and flexibility is really important to me.

I'm sorry your IBS is giving you trouble. My husband has it, too. He has also had to cut out soda entirely which is really hard for him since he's a Dr. Pepper fiend. (Yet still manages to keep his girlish figure somehow!) I'm amused and impressed with your hospital food solution- free, inoffensive (if not exactly delicious), and nutritious!
    Omg that all sounds like a great resolution. And congrats for not only standing strong for what you know you need for yourself, but for also not feeling kicked down and discouraged by running into that situation. Please keep us updated on how it all goes, as much as you're comfortable with anyways.

Also, hunger is the best spice.. people complain about hospital food, but it's similar to army food and so I can handle it easily... and I carry three things on me at all times that arm me with delicious everywhere I go: Fruit seasoning (Amazon.com : Valentina Fruit Seasoning 140 Gr : Mexican Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food Ignore that price tag, they're $2 a piece at the local mexican grocery store!) which gives a tiiny hint of spice but no real heat and lots of citrus-y flavor aaaand won't explode and get everything wet when the lid pops off unlike hot sauce... Mrs. Dash for very similar reasons... And a truffle oil food spray and truffle salt (Amazon.com : QO Infused TRUFFLE Olive Oil Spray - All Natural - 125 ml/4.2 fl.oz - Product of Italy : Grocery & Gourmet Food this is the closest I could find that compares... but it is a different brand and I got them discounted at the resell grocery store).. I keep a make-up bag with this stuff, plus some sauces I like (like whenever I go to chik-fil-a I get an extra sauce or two to stick in my bag) so that whenever I get food I don't have to worry about if it's bland or not. It's always in my backpack at work with me.

Theoretically, I could just stop spending money on food entirely on the days I work, and steal all the meal trays from the hospital that would be trashed anyways. But for now, I'll be going to night shift, so I won't get meal trays anymore when I switch over. Boooooo..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Does anyone know of some calorie dense snack ideas?

Two that I've been using are toast + olive oil and peanut butter + bananas but I need more variety.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Nuts and nut butters (I think macadamias are especially dense)
    Avocado (good on toast with salt & pepper)
    Raisins and other dried fruits
    Cheese and other full-fat dairy

A snack I like but don't have often since it's calorically dense and that doesn't meet my personal goals right now, is a spoonful of PB with raisins stuck in it, and a glass of whole milk.

Oh, and the internet's favorite thing: Bacon (in moderation of course)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Nuts and nut butters (I think macadamias are especially dense)
    Avocado (good on toast with salt & pepper)
    Raisins and other dried fruits
    Cheese and other full-fat dairy

A snack I like but don't have often since it's calorically dense and that doesn't meet my personal goals right now, is a spoonful of PB with raisins stuck in it, and a glass of whole milk.

Oh, and the internet's favorite thing: Bacon (in moderation of course)
    Oh! I forgot about yogurt though it's hard to find full fat greek where I live. That plus almonds and honey was a good snack though.
    And I never thought about adding raisins.

Awesome, Ivy. Thanks very much.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post

Two that I've been using are toast + olive oil and peanut butter + bananas but I need more variety.
    Trail mix pretty much any variety of fruit+nuts are going to give you calories that are both quick and slow burning
    Things I typically use, which tend to be sweet: Chocolate milk, yogurt, nutella/any nut butter on toast, hummus + chips and veggies (probably the only one that isn't sweet haha), bean-based cookie dough dip or bean-based brownies, avocado mousse, avocados + salt and pepper on some dense crackers, tuna salad on calorie-dense crackers.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post

I did a Google search and came up with a couple web sites...
    I didn't just want to hurl ideas at you without some authority behind them...
    because I didn't really know the answer personally.

High Calorie Meal Ideas for Weight Gain
    High Calorie Meal Ideas for Weight Gain | LIVESTRONG.COM

High Calorie Nutrient Dense Food Ideas to Gain Healthy Weight
    High Calorie Nutrient Dense Food Ideas to Gain Healthy Weight | Empower Your Body With Food

Anyhow... I hope these two websites give you some good ideas.
    Likes Hawthorne, LonestarCowgirl liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Just checking in...
    I only did half of my workout on Wednesday and Sunday because I ran out of time.
    Must.do.better.next.week.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Whoo! 3 more weeks left and I'll have completed my entire 8 week work out session! I don't think I've lost/gained any weight, but I feel my muscles are more built which is what I really wanted.

Night shift has totally thrown off my eating habits--I'm not as hungry as usual, and I've skipped "dinner" (at 3am) entirely twice now in a week's time. I'm not too worried about it because I am eating enough calories still.. not quite at the 2,400 I need, but I almost never make that without loading up on high-fat low-nutrition foods anyways.

I DO have my data for september, I just haven't had time to compile it because I'm working 6/8 days right now.. Two more days to go and I'll get some serious down time so I can meal prep again, plan it out, and see how I did. I do know I stuck to my work outs 100%, which is pretty awesome.

Now, time to go make use of that "An Unexpected Cookbook" I rented from amazon and make some baked scotch eggs.

Edit: They came out delicious.

Likes Ivy, LonestarCowgirl liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I haven't posted here, but since July I've been getting back into exercise seriously.

Starting out, I just went to the gym mon weds Fri and hit the elliptical for 35 minutes. After three months of being consistent with that, I decided to start lifting again. I would lift after I was done on the elliptical three days a week, but I havent haven't been at it long enough to see any real results yet.

When I got back from Europe last week I decided that on Tues and Thurs I would run on the treadmill even though I greatly dislike it. I started that last week and jogged for 25:00. Yesterday I made it 27:30.

My gf prompted me to get back at the exercise this summer since I'd gained a lot of weight over the last year when my sleep apnea kicked in. Last time at the Dr's office he said my heart rate was the lowest he'd seen since I had been going to him but I was too damn heavy. 261lbs with all my work clothes on, so abt 255 or a little more. I know weight is all about eating right and that's where I struggle the most.

While we were in Europe my gf and I decided to start a food journal and write down everything we eat. We would also cook healthier stuff. That started on Sunday and I haven't cheated once yet, I had some jambalaya rice and root vegetables last night for dinner. I probably lost some weight walking all the time in Europe.

This morning I weighed 245lbs. Yesterday morning I weighed 247.5 (I've got a really accurate doctors scale). I'm already down 10lbs!!!

I'll keep yall updated on my progress. I figure eating right and exercise 5 days a week will equal pretty quick weight loss.

Just wanted to share my small victory.

Likes Ivy, kyuuei liked this post

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I blew my diet up this weekend, but I'm getting a better hold on things.

Ran two miles today, the farthest I've gone yet!