User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Drop And Give Me 20!

In which EJCC decides to be her own ESTJ drill sergeant.

Preliminary Exercise Plan:
    1. Kung fu 2-3x per week (lessons will start in a couple of weeks -- so excited!)
    2. Push-ups and sit-ups every day (or every other day at minimum)
    3. Hopefully starting on this thing once I've done just push-ups and sit-ups for a while

Motivated myself to do this because the only real physical activity in my life is walking. Yes, I do a lot of walking (due to not having a car), but I'll need to do more intensive and regular exercise if I want to create a sustainable fitness regimen for the foreseeable and potentially car-driven future. I don't like running, I don't like team sports that much -- never have -- and as much as I like hiking, there isn't a lot available for the car-less around where I live. So I had the idea to start this kung fu thing, since I've tried martial arts before, at various stages in my life, and really liked it. The lifestyle factor is pretty great, too, re: energy and self-improvement and whatnot. And maybe I'll make some new friends!

The above explains the kung fu idea, but the other workout goals are mostly because gym equipment bores me and gyms cost money. Whereas I can just get these things done when I get home from work, without paying for anything.

(I don't have a food plan, because I eat pretty healthy already, but if I find more healthy food to switch to, I'll update this blog thing accordingly. I'm a little concerned that if all goes well with this, I'll lose a bunch of weight* -- which I don't necessarily want to do, because I don't want to buy all new clothes -- so in that case I guess I'll up my protein intake?)

Anyway... time to hold myself accountable. Onward!

*I don't really need to; I'm 5'6" and 145-ish lbs at present, and have been around there since my mid teens
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Would you like 20 twinkies or doughnuts? Grasshopper, I shall teach you the 8-way kung-food technique.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    The above explains the kung fu idea, but the other workout goals are mostly because gym equipment bores me and gyms cost money. Whereas I can just get these things done when I get home from work, without paying for anything.
    In all seriousness *cough*, I'm the same way, I get really bored if the workout doesn't also involve some form of mental exercise as well. At my fighting gym, there's many women that take Capoeira. It's one of the more graceful martial arts, and at it's highest levels, can be very physically demanding.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    Would you like 20 twinkies or doughnuts? Grasshopper, I shall teach you the 8-way kung-food technique.
    Ooh -- doughnuts please?

Does your technique involve beer as well?

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Day 1.

Four reps of modified push-ups, 60 secs in between.

Three reps of sit-ups (all the way up -- whatever you call that type of sit-up):

Plank (not on knees) until my arms shook -- 20 seconds.

Sticking with modified push-ups for now, since I'm too weak to do a full push-up with good form. Filmed myself doing them to see if my modified push-up form was otherwise good, and it was, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Using hundredpushups.com for my push-up regimen. Middle column.

A sit up all the way up is a sit up. In a sit up usually you have your legs anchored, unanchored is a crunch. You need to think of something for your upper back too. To balance the push ups. Some kind of rowing movement.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    A sit up all the way up is a sit up.
    Ok cool. What do you call the ones where only your shoulders leave the ground?
    In a sit up usually you have your legs anchored, unanchored is a crunch.
    Good to know! I had my feet underneath my couch.
    You need to think of something for your upper back too. To balance the push ups. Some kind of rowing movement.
    What would you recommend for someone who doesn't own any weights?

Did a little Googling just now, found this thing -- something like that?

Yeah, but you don't need to lie on the floor. You can lean at a 45 degree angle and do that. That is a really good sequence actually.

Yeah crunches. Do something where you extend your legs for the lower abs too. Like this. Keep lower back on the floor. Or reverse crunches.

This exercise...

is good as a starter for working the hips and works well with the ab exercises. You can do them in sequence. Crunches... hip bridge... reverse crunch... hip bridge and so on. Keeping the body under tension.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Awesome -- will try some of this out tomorrow. Thanks wolfy!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ooh -- doughnuts please?

Does your technique involve beer as well?

Only when one finds one-self in dire circumstance.

Four reps of modified push-ups, 60 secs in between.

Three reps of sit-ups (all the way up -- whatever you call that type of sit-up):
    Try adding stretches before you workout. You're going to need it for almost any martial art. I like to take my kindle out to read while stretching; it helps ignore the pain.