• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Good for you! I admire your determination!
Have a great day!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Rocktober challenge is ALL set and ready to GO! Cannot wait! :) Food has been fine, I'm still losing weight from stupid nursing school. :(

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Just did the pre-work out challenge sent out by Betty Rocker :) !!

3 sets of 30 seconds each:
Sumo squats with leg lift, push ups, bridges, mountain climbers, left and right leg lift crunches, reverse plank walks.

Warmed up with the P90X3 cold start which is an awesome way to get things going. I made meal plans for everyone, and set up the work out schedule. We are all set to go!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Just did the pre-work out challenge sent out by Betty Rocker :) !!

3 sets of 30 seconds each:
Sumo squats with leg lift, push ups, bridges, mountain climbers, left and right leg lift crunches, reverse plank walks.

Warmed up with the P90X3 cold start which is an awesome way to get things going. I made meal plans for everyone, and set up the work out schedule. We are all set to go!
kyuuei... I'm glad you're still here.
Thanks for sticking with it.
Great job!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did my exercise program this morning and I did the upper body workout one day this week,
so better than I was but not as much as I wanted.

I found out I need to strengthen my neck and upper back muscles, so I am working those into daily routines.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
kyuuei... I'm glad you're still here.
Thanks for sticking with it.
Great job!

I may not post every single time but I am committed to catching up when I do :hifive: I'm definitely stoked and want to get stronger even if I have to force it into my schedule.

http://thebettyrocker.com/layered-b...stagram-fitness-food-contest-winner-recipe-1/

Did this awesome spinach pancake recipe. I can't say it was the fluffiest pancakes I've ever had in my life, but they DID inspire me... why can't I add spinach to regular old pancake mix?? I'm not gluten free, so no sense in trying gluten-free recipes.. But I could chop up some spinach into the milk that's going into the mix and make some awesome green pancakes. :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey guys. Glad to see this thing is still going, and that so many of you still having success! How wonderful!

It's been a rough summer for me. I think I'm opposite of most people - I lose weight in the fall and winter, and gain it in the spring and summer. That was unexpected, but I can't deny it. I'm pretty sure this is the 4th year in a row this has happened. At the very least, this exact same pattern, even to almost the exact same weights, happened last year.

The good news is that it inspired me to make some changes. I'm currently on week 3 without eating flour (breads and pastas especially). The first week was tortuous, but I'm now at a point where it's only tricky when people are eating pizza/pancakes/other deliciousness in front of me. It really helped that I got into a contest with a friend. She had to quit drinking alcohol (she was beginning to concern me), and I had to quit flour. I'm not entirely sure who has had a harder time!

Anyways, I also ordered P90, which just came out last week. It's by Tony Horton, the same guy behind the P90X series. In a lot of ways, it's like a simplified and easier version of P90X3. There's still a decent amount of complex movement that engages the core, but it's several gears slower than X3. At least, for the first month. Each month gets a bit more complex, longer, and more difficult. I can go into a bit more detail if anyone is interested.

So far, I really enjoy it. I'll be sure to check in come day 30.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Oh man [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] please do check in and let me know!! :) That P90 sounds awesome! It might be something to look into for my sister.. a 90 day challenge after her 30 day challenge. Sounds bueno!

Today for all of us it's measurements and weigh in time! Weight, arms, legs, waist, bust, hips, neck, number of push ups, sit ups, time spent in plank, and a short run.

For my sister, it'll just be the 30 day challenge work outs 3 days a week. For the rest of us, 30 day challenge work outs + 1 run day + 1 day each focus on arms, legs, back with abs on the arms and back days. For me in particular, an extra leg day and run day in there.

Dietary challenge for my sister: low sugar, low fat diet within caloric intake levels. For my mother, low fat low sugar diet as well. For me? Just keep doing what I've been doing, but increase protein intake and try to eat more fruits and vegetables with a daily salad + daily smoothie + one snack each of fruit and veggies.

We're making a poster board in the living room. I can't wait.

Lots of shopping today running around to get it all done in time for tomorrow!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
40 minutes of stretching yesterday evening.

betty rocker challenge day 1 today complete! Trying to go for a run too in about an hour before I shower off.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I forgot to check in last Sunday morning, but I have added an upper body workout on Tuesdays and a lower body workout on Thursdays.

Today, a new exercise video arrived in the mail which is supposed to be equivalent to Physical Therapy for my knees. We'll see.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Betty rocker week 2 is starting up! We completed week 1, and the last two days were REALLY shaky (my fault--I had a HUGE exam to prep for and pretty much shut down to the world while it was in progress) and did the bonus yoga work out today. I was too sleepy from studying to complete the big workout.

Tomorrow when my sister gets home from work, we'll be hitting up the regular challenge! Instead of taking a break, we'll just do a quick sweet ab work out the next day, and then day 2 of the work outs Monday. Tuesday break day (except for me if I find my bar and then I'm doing a booty work out), and we'll catch up Wednesday to make day 3 juuust barely late by a day.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've maintained my 30-lb loss for over 3months now but I haven't lost any more. This is okay with me (I recently read a study indicating that "plateaus" are actually good for long-term success since they help your body reach equilibrium along the way and adjust to the changes) but I do want to get things started again and make sure I'm not getting complacent and letting old habits creep back in. So I joined a 4-month fat loss program led by two of my favorite health professionals, Amber Rogers and Sean Flanagan. They both advocate slow, safe, sane weight loss with an emphasis on a healthy relationship with food and eating, and sustainable activity goals. This is the program I joined:

http://seanflanaganwellness.com/4monthfatlossandrecomp

My group starts on the 22nd. In the meantime I'm to either join a gym or get my hands on a bunch of equipment to use at home (probably going to join the gym since I don't have room for the equipment here).

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That sounds fantastic, Ivy!
Congratulations!

I keep reaching higher plateaus instead of lower ones. :(
I've been on a healthier, lower calorie diet for over a year,
but all I've done is maintain instead of lose weight.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did very well yesterday. I was supposed to do my workout when I got home from work, but I had had an appointment, and when I got home I was hungry, then I was lazy.
But when I got home from my Bible study at 9 PM, I made myself do a lower body workout I was scheduled to do.
I was very proud of myself for not daring to go to bed without doing it! LOL!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Completed Betty Rocker week 2!!

My food is steadily going down hill with a lack of time and resources... I'm sort of paying for unavoidable stuff, meaning the food I normally buy is too expensive and I'm stuck eating whatever's being cooked in the household. My "I hate wasting food" is mixing with "my family cooks too much and is too picky about leftovers" with "I'd like to eat healthy, but I like to eat conveniently first."

I can say my breakfasts have at least been healthy, but I'm getting significantly less fresh salads and steamed veggies in my diet the past week and a half and I can feel its effects on my body.

So, for this week... My goal is to have vegetables in all of my meals.
feasting at home: Skillet Baked Steel Cut Oats w/ Maple Glazed Apples I'm addicted to this stuff, and it lasts all week, so I'm making a big batch of that with finely shredded carrots and pumpkin added to it.
I'm mixing up some cottage cheese, frozen spinach thawed, fresh basil, parsley, and oregano from the garden and making a vat of that to have with crackers for when I get hungry between meals
A big bowl of cole slaw for some quick salad-like side dish veggie or a snack
Bean-and-rice based cereals and bean-cooked desserts
Steamed bags of vegetables to eat hot with noodles or rice and soy sauce and mentsuyu to dip them in.
Gathering up the ingredients for my favorite salad--miso ginger dressing with mixed greens, cabbage, and broccoli slaw and chow mein noodles..
and my other favorite salad: applegate chicken nuggets chopped up and tossed in wing sauce, blue cheese yogurt dressing, and mixed greens

Oh, I almost forgot!

Really awesome thing I found: Easy Breakfast Recipe: Banana Split with Yogurt and Jam

Banana split that's good for you :D Yes plz! I was thinking they have chocolate-flavored and honey-flavored yogurts.. why not stick it in the freezer for an hour or so and let it firm up and get cold, then it really will taste like ice cream! :) And instead of chocolate sauce, some hazelnut butter would go great on top. :drool:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Starting day one (finally) of week 3 tonight! Plus a bonus ab move.

Made some more oatmeal :) that stuff is addicting! It's like dessert for breakfast along side a yogurt-banana-split. I might just be eating breakfast food twice a day now just to keep solid on my eating habits.

I changed up the recipe and I let soak overnight a green tea bag, some lavender loose leaf tea, and an orange peel piece in water so that it was nice and potent and gives an extra burst of vitamin C, some carrots finely shredded, some coconut and turbinado sugars (one packet each), pumpkin seeds this time, and home grown pumpkin puree.

BR Posted her top 10 fitness successes, and I like them a lot so I thought I'd post them:
1. Never go more than 3 days without working out somehow.
2. Work out at least three days a week.
3. Never miss a monday
4. Never give up!
5. Work out your entire body by changing up your training styles every 4-6 weeks.
6. Take adequate rest days. Even if you want to work out everyday, you can do things like stretching, walking, yoga, and light activity on those rest days instead of trying to rush all three days+ at once.
7. Learn from experts. Just because it's a pretty pic on pinterest doesn't mean it's right for your body.
8. Hydrate or Die.
9. Prevent injury by starting off slow. Fitness is a lifestyle, meaning you've got your whole life ahead of you. Don't kill yourself trying to be a badass mfer.
10. None of this matters if you ruin it with your diet. Diet and exercise are sisters, you can't have one without the other. Your body needs fuel to be successful, and any amount of working out can be ruined with a bad diet routine.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My 4 month program thingie starts Monday. I got my meal plans today (they are very flexible- I can sub out anything I want, it's just a jumping-off point). I went grocery shopping for that today. Not sure when the workouts start- they say the first month is mainly just to stabilize your weight and get you used to tracking. I have been pretty low-key about my tracking up to now so it'll be good to get a handle on portion sizes and things like that.

ygolo

My termites win
Does anyone have a fitbit? We could keep each other motivated.

I have been tracking my steps. I am essentially in maintenance mode now, and trying to increase my activity as I return to eating like normal.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Does anyone have a fitbit? We could keep each other motivated.

I have been tracking my steps. I am essentially in maintenance mode now, and trying to increase my activity as I return to eating like normal.

I think those things are cool, but since I'm poor I just use my google now, which tracks sort of my walking steps and gives me a quick report of the hours I walked once a month. I wish it reported more often, I always forget to check on the first of the month. :/

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I can say I was successful at doing all my workouts this week... though I need to adjust my plan slightly because now I have a new exercise video aimed at knee rehab.

My knees have been giving me a lot of trouble. I think if I can strengthen my hamstrings, quadriceps and glutes, it's supposed to reduce or eliminate knee pain.
I also learned from my physical therapist that my joints hyper-extend (bend backwards) which I think is what is causing the knee pain.

Because my schedule has been so full of appointments, twice this week, I ended up exercising right before bed.
I was really proud of myself for forcing myself to do it, but I don't really like doing it at that time.

Glad to see people posting here!

Status
Not open for further replies.