• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Gosh, is this really the last (official) week??

I have really appreciated this challenge- it's been exactly the right kind (non-competitive, success is self-defined, etc). I think we've done something very special here.

I'd like to continue posting updates here, and I'll invite anyone else who would like to continue to just keep posting. We don't need to make it official. Just check in when you can, and feel free to tag me if you haven't seen me in a while. Because this is not a temporary thing for me- I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life, I hope.

It has been a good half-year. I've lost thirty pounds, I'm more active and more comfortable while I'm being active, I'm sleeping like a normal person, and I don't worry about food or constantly crave it anymore. I feel stronger and better-rested in every way. I have a lot left to go to be in the health place I want to be, but I'm in a place where I don't hate my current body. And I no longer think I need to aim for a socially-acceptable goal weight. I'll be fine with remaining heavier than average, even technically "overweight" if I meet my health goals- I don't think "thin" is in the cards for me, and that's okay. Health is the goal.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I'll keep posting :) They say it's a lifestyle change, right? ;)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Please do! And tag me if you notice I haven't posted in a while! :) :hug:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have really appreciated this challenge- it's been exactly the right kind (non-competitive, success is self-defined, etc). I think we've done something very special here.

Yea, I was thinking that I will probably keep posting. It's a great way to stay accountable.

I'd like to continue posting updates here, and I'll invite anyone else who would like to continue to just keep posting.
It has been a good half-year. I've lost thirty pounds, I'm more active and more comfortable while I'm being active, I'm sleeping like a normal person, and I don't worry about food or constantly crave it anymore. I feel stronger and better-rested in every way.

You go girl!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nice work [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]!!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah... I need to keep checking in too...
it's the only way I will keep doing it.

I did my 20 ab crunches every day and I did my exercise program this morning.

But I think I have lost less than 3 pounds since October, so that's kind of discouraging.
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] congratulations on losing30 pounds!
How did you do it?
I need to get down from 160 pounds to 140.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

But I think I have lost less than 3 pounds since October, so that's kind of discouraging.
How did you do it?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks for the well-wishes. :) I'll be honest, the way I did it was by getting active and swearing off diets. I track what I eat but I don't restrict. I don't know that this would work for everyone but I have a history of disordered eating and "diets" just put me in that unhealthy place. This has really felt healthy and right. Nothing is off-limits, and with that freedom I don't find myself needing to binge eat or craving "treats."

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Weekly check-in: I had some family stuff that required my full attention this week, but I still tracked and tried to get a walk in when I could. My sleep has been off and I feel the effect of that on my appetite and energy level for sure.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

How did you do it?

I agree that the easiest way to start is tracking your food. I use my fitness pal, it's easy and breaks it down, and the phone app has a barcode scanner so anything with a barcode can easily be input into the diary.

I use my phone Google tracker to track my hours walked each month. I like that because it's not a weekly update but I think about it at random times and will decide to park further back or go running or something.

I also suggest work out DVD s like constantly because I love them and they're cheap. YouTube has a bunch on the be fit channel for free now.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

How did you do it?

I agree that the easiest way to start is tracking your food. I use my fitness pal, it's easy and breaks it down, and the phone app has a barcode scanner so anything with a barcode can easily be input into the diary.

I use my phone Google tracker to track my hours walked each month. I like that because it's not a weekly update but I think about it at random times and will decide to park further back or go running or something.

I also suggest work out DVD s like constantly because I love them and they're cheap. YouTube has a bunch on the be fit channel for free now.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For my final summary:

Unfortunately, I didn't have a strong finish and regained much of the weight I had lost earlier this year. On the plus side though, I did learn a lot. (Special shout out to [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], who introduced me to several new ideas on how to look at healthy lifestyles).

The main lessons I learned during this challenge are:
1. When I eat healthy foods, I need to make sure I eat enough to meet my calorie goals. It actually takes a surprising amount of healthy food to maintain an active human being. This lesson was an early turning point for me.
2. Sleep! Getting 7.5+ (or more) hours of sleep a night can make a huge difference!
3. I need to learn how to manage stress better.

I believe it was #3 that brought me down at the end. Something happens to my body when I hit the 250 pound weight range, and I didn't do anything to manage the emotions or thoughts that crept in. So when that stress combined with my general life stresses, I simply became overwhelmed and wasn't able to stay on track.

So moving forward, my goal will be to spend more energy managing stress, nourishing my body and mind, and adding some fun activities to my life.

(Final participation list is forthcoming. :) )

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well guys, this will be the last week for me. It's been a pleasure doing this, and everyone has been helpful and inspiring. As I mentioned above, I took away some things that I will be keeping with me, and hopefully this thread has been equally helpful to you as well. :)

Even though this is the last update, there's a few of you we haven't heard from in over a week. Can you guys let us know how you did? If you are up for sharing your long term progress as well, we'd love to hear it.

Week 26 Participation List
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]
INTJMom
Ivy
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]
[MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION]
Udog
Urarienev

Congratulations on a job well done, guys!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Puppy I read this really interesting article.. and I am unsure of how valid it is... but it talks about how for most people 90 minutes is the typical sleep cycle.. and that it actually can make a huge difference waking up in 90 minute intervals vs just 8 hours intervals.. that 7.5 or 9 hours were both healthier and more restful than the staple 8. One day I'll get around to testing it, but I do notice that I don't feel much more tired at all getting 7.5 hours of sleep than if I get more than 8. I am usually groggy as hell if I get 8-8 1/2 and I'll want to sleep longer. Anything less than 6 hours makes me sleepy no matter what, but 6 hours is actually not a bad time for me either. So.. I wonder if there's something to it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Puppy I read this really interesting article.. and I am unsure of how valid it is... but it talks about how for most people 90 minutes is the typical sleep cycle.. and that it actually can make a huge difference waking up in 90 minute intervals vs just 8 hours intervals.. that 7.5 or 9 hours were both healthier and more restful than the staple 8. One day I'll get around to testing it, but I do notice that I don't feel much more tired at all getting 7.5 hours of sleep than if I get more than 8. I am usually groggy as hell if I get 8-8 1/2 and I'll want to sleep longer. Anything less than 6 hours makes me sleepy no matter what, but 6 hours is actually not a bad time for me either. So.. I wonder if there's something to it.

I'm pretty sure there is something to it! I don't know if it's healthier or not, but I do believe that 7.5 or 9 hours will be more restful than 8.

It's also why naps should be under 20 minutes or so. If you go much longer you'll hit a deeper sleep cycle and wake up groggy.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm pretty sure there is something to it! I don't know if it's healthier or not, but I do believe that 7.5 or 9 hours will be more restful than 8.

It's also why naps should be under 20 minutes or so. If you go much longer you'll hit a deeper sleep cycle and wake up groggy.

Uuugghh I'm not looking forward to the days where I need naps. I hate them so much... Even if I'm exhausted, they're the worst..

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well guys, this will be the last week for me. It's been a pleasure doing this, and everyone has been helpful and inspiring. As I mentioned above, I took away some things that I will be keeping with me, and hopefully this thread has been equally helpful to you as well. :)

Even though this is the last update, there's a few of you we haven't heard from in over a week. Can you guys let us know how you did? If you are up for sharing your long term progress as well, we'd love to hear it.
I have read about the sleep theories [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] mentioned. That's one thing I need to do better at, getting adequate and consistent sleep. There is just so much to do all the time, I tend to resent sleep time when I could be up getting something done. I can actually make myself be reasonably productive even with sleep deficit, by choosing which activities to do and when, except for exercising. I have found the biggest hurdle in the exercise challenge was pushing myself to exercise when I was tired and simply had low energy, a state that has persisted for weeks, if not months. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but I may be able to make some headway on this over the winter finally.

As for exercise, my main goal was establishing routines, and I did reasonably well at that. I was trying to work up to a point where I did some physical activity almost every day (say minimum 5 days per week), even if only to walk or ride my bike or do yard work. My life had become far too sedentary, and I know from past experience how much better I feel when I am more active. Unfortunately, I haven't started to feel better yet, but that may be due to the sleep issue mentioned above. I also wanted to become more mindful of what I was eating and when, to reduce unnecessary eating and lose a little weight. I lost only ~ 3 lbs over the challenge, but feel I understand the situation much better and can work more productively as the summer goes on. I found the accountability of posting progress each week helped.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for the well-wishes. :) I'll be honest, the way I did it was by getting active and swearing off diets. I track what I eat but I don't restrict. I don't know that this would work for everyone but I have a history of disordered eating and "diets" just put me in that unhealthy place. This has really felt healthy and right. Nothing is off-limits, and with that freedom I don't find myself needing to binge eat or craving "treats."

Ah... OK... that's pretty much what I'm already doing.
I guess I just have to keep at it.
It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE... right?!

- - - Updated - - -

... YouTube has a bunch on the be fit channel for free now.

Nice! I will look into that!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
OK... well... I accidentally overslept this morning and didn't do my exercise program.
But I am very proud of myself for continuing to do 20 ab crunches every morning.
I have always had a problem getting good habits going... and keeping them going.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Remember that time I didn't forget to check in?! :laugh:

Exercise has been minimal at best--I squeeze in an Ab work out, a yoga work out, or an MMX/tri work out here and there. I'm lucky right now to get 1-2 in a week. So far I haven't gotten ANY in though.

3 exams next week, 4 the week after, and 3 the final week. And still a boat load of work otherwise to get done. However, I have at least been eating well.. Tracking daily on myfitnesspal makes it really easy, and I keep trying to eat about 100-300 calories over the goal depending on what I did that day. I'm on a 16 day streak so far :D

Status
Not open for further replies.