• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My report is pretty bad. I did work out Monday morning, but then had an allergy attack by Monday afternoon that lasted until Friday. That pretty much killed what momentum I had managed to gain.

I don't really have answers right now on how to get back on track, so I'm gonna keep this short. I did manage to work out this morning, and I feel myself coming out of whatever funk has been hitting me the past few weeks, so I'm hopeful for an improvement this week.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh, I've gained 4 pounds since the start of the contest, 167. This is my report.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, update time...

I've sort of neglected my health again this week, in pursuit of my studies. And the stress from my academics is in turn taking a toll on my health. :dry: It doesn't help either that I have midterm exams beginning next Monday.

So yeah, basically this has not been a good week in terms of keeping up with my goals. For now, I need to focus on my midterm exams, but I'll also try to keep myself from stressing out too much like this.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I thought perhaps if I added a little weight lifting to my daily routine that it might help develop muscle and burn fat,
so this week I lifted 5 pound and 8 pound weights EVERY NIGHT after dinner!
I know it was having an effect because I could feel some sore muscles in my body all week!
And I continued my morning ab crunches
and I just finished my Saturday morning routine with the exercise video... WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS!
It was a killer! Phew!
Soak in a hot bath is on order for tonight!

So Yay! I'm very happy I've been making myself do it! :static:
Thanks to Udog for motivating me...
and the fact that almost none of my clothes fit because of the weight I put on this winter.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So Yay! I'm very happy I've been making myself do it! :static:
Thanks to Udog for motivating me...
and the fact that almost none of my clothes fit because of the weight I put on this winter.[/SIZE]

Great work. I love the sore feeling that lifting weights provides. Also, it's a sign that your metabolism is working a bit higher than normal so it can repair everything.

Enjoy the relaxation - you've earned it. :)

Joined the FYC Mens Tennis Team.

Nice! Tennis matches are excellent workouts. What playing level?

wolfy

awsm
Gave five lessons and trained three times. About eight hours of exercise, maybe. I am going to start leaning out for summer soon. I don't really watch what I eat, but I think I will start by cutting out some sweets. I will start as soon as some supplements arrive.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I haven't been working out actively--as in lifting weights--but I have been doing heavy lifting this week via cleaning out hoarder house stuff, hiking/walking for hours, lifting and setting stones, digging, etc.

I've been eating fairly decently. Green smoothies are helping me feel better throughout the day.. I don't know why I ever stopped those.

Tonight I feel adequate enough to start my hip stretches once again. Which is a big step in the right direction as far as I can tell.

wolfy

awsm
I haven't been working out actively--as in lifting weights--but I have been doing heavy lifting this week via cleaning out hoarder house stuff, hiking/walking for hours, lifting and setting stones, digging, etc.

I've been eating fairly decently. Green smoothies are helping me feel better throughout the day.. I don't know why I ever stopped those.

Tonight I feel adequate enough to start my hip stretches once again. Which is a big step in the right direction as far as I can tell.

That's great. I have moved a lot of snow lately. Exercise outside the gym is great too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm quickly noticing that my family is not going to support healthy eating habits.. and I really need to start doing things entirely on my own.

I cooked a wicked awesome, healthy dish for the sake of enjoying a healthy awesome meal with them--some pita bread, homemade skinny-version hummus, a kefir cheese cabbage salad, and a few thin slices of brown ale cheese and bacon slices that you can cram into the bread and enjoy.

The next day? The first thing my father makes on the grill is "sausage" (they were just giant hot dogs) to go along side my anchiote chicken, spinach salad, and dill basmati rice. -_-

I just went ahead and packed my food to eat tomorrow.

That's great. I have moved a lot of snow lately. Exercise outside the gym is great too.

Yeah, but I notice it doesn't give me the same satisfaction and enjoyment as when I complete a work out that's measured with time and weights and reps.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
8th weekly update.

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
Adequate, like last week. I had fewer opportunities for eating outside of mealtimes since I was very busy and away from home (food supply), eating only a few pre-selected healthy items. Will need to focus on this more as the exercise routine becomes better established.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
I kept with the 3-times-per-week routine - very good, since my energy was very low this week and it was tempting to skip (perhaps fighting a bug?). Still working with the new workout video and getting more comfortable with it (better form, slightly less effort), but no sign of better weather for outdoor exercise yet.

3. Weight loss.
No change.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Eating- still good, no binges, tracked every day, 7/7. Things are starting to make more intuitive sense- I'm still tracking, but I have a good handle on how much I need to be aiming for, and when I get that I don't feel deprived.
Moving- not so great this week. I only hit 5K steps on three days this week. But on those days I did pretty well- we went hiking on Saturday and although I huffed and puffed on the hills, I made it. 3/7 (but already off to a better start this week with a medium-sized 2mi walk this morning- it's supposed to get cold today and tonight so I thought I better fit it in early).
Stress/sleep/etc- pretty good. Stress levels manageable, slept decently except for one day when I stayed up too late. Better than the past couple of weeks, though. 6/7.
Connections- good in immediate family, could be better in extended family. A good week with the kids, for the most part- and they headed to my parents' for the weekend so Noah and I got to enjoy some grownup time. I need to call my mom and go see my sister and baby niece. And set a time to go see my brother and his kids on an upcoming weekend. Also, my other sister got dumped and I reached out to her. I'm hoping she'll come see me this week to get her mind off it. Let's call it 4/7 for last week.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think I'll start flooding this thing with daily updates. I think I stay on track better with (near) daily updates.

My goals are going to need to change based on my current schedule. It's got to go slower for me.

March goals: To at least work out for 30 minutes everyday with moderate activity, but preferably more intense activity. I'd like it to be an hour, but I don't see it happening on school days, so 30 minutes-1hr. If nothing else, I'll at least walk for a total of 30-40 minutes each day to and from school during my school days, but I'd like to pair that with dedicated activity.
To eat cleaner and healthier in the easiest and most convenient way possible, as I've gained a bit of weight that's caught up to me from my vacations in the winter months, and it's making me feel sluggish. I want to gain muscle weight, and it's impossible to gauge that without a starting timeframe and position. So my goal is to cut my weight down to about 120 lbs, even though I dislike this weight, because it'll give me a frame of reference for my muscle tone and build. I'll cut to 124 lbs(ish) this month, and the rest next month. I don't have a clear standard for this anymore as I am not calorie counting, but as long as I have clumps of foods in each meal I should be fine. Only fruits and vegetables for snacks, fruit with breakfast, vegetables with both lunch and dinner constituting over 50% of the meal's size. Limit breads, sugars, and saturated fats.

Yesterday:

Exercise: I tried out a new DVD system (The really, really corny Hip Hop Abs.. My mother wants to do this SOO badly, so we got it and tried it.) and while she has to return it because she bought the wrong thing, it was okay. It did do a lot of isolation moves and techniques, which was pretty good. I don't like everything about it, especially the lack of warm-ups and adequate cool downs, nor did I like that there was no pace for beginners/non-dancers, and I disliked that they were so short--20 minutes in length. It was also really, really corny. However, I did work up a bit of a sweat, and I did feel burning sensations in my muscles from the exercises, so I feel it was a decent workout that was rooted in classic aerobics. It did go very, very fast too. 20 minutes burned by in no time. It'd be a great supplemental to a cardio day, but I don't think you'll see amazing results in muscle tone and definition with this system alone.

Diet: I ate some fruit, pancakes, bacon, and milk and cranberry juice for breakfast, hummus and pita bread and cabbage salad for lunch, a green smoothie for a snack, and anchiote-marinaded chicken and dill basmati rice and spinach salad with a homemade dressing (olive oil, fig balsamic vinegar, and herbes de Provence) for dinner. I did, however, eat waaay too much for dinner. I think I could have been satisfied if I'd eaten the salad first instead of last--but I was way too excited about chicken. I snuck in more snacks than that, but I don't remember them now, I just remember they were definitely not healthy.

Today:

Exercise: I plan to burn through another quick 30 minute DVD session because of my test tomorrow, and I hope to remember my stretches before I fall asleep. I forgot last night and crashed hard. I did do my walking, as it's necessary for parking and getting to school.
Diet: So far it's been oatmeal and a banana for breakfast, 2 cups of green tea, dried fruit, olives, an orange, and a spinach salad for lunch, a green smoothie and some brown ale cheese, mustard, and chicken meat from last night for a snack, and probably leftovers for dinner... if we don't have any, then probably egg and chorizo tacos since I have all the ingredients already for those.

Considerations: I think I need food in my car that'll stay good in hot weather so that I can eat it on my way home from school so I'm not dying when I get home and destroy everything. A fig bar or energy bar or something like that. I need to be more consistent about grocery shopping too, and I need to organize my fridge so that my food is there and ready for me to grab. I did get new running shoes for work/working out, and they're great.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
kyuuei, something I've been finding awesome for that "eat in the car so I don't pig out when I get home" purpose is beef jerky. Oberto makes one with no nitrates (I'm not sold on the "nitrates are evil" thing but it's easy enough to get stuff without it so I do) and I also love the Tanka bars that are buffalo jerky mixed with dried cranberries. Sounds gross but it is awesome. Only 80 cals but they really tide me over until I get something more substantial.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No weight change. My vegetarian diet is vegetarian and a-ok. I have not been in the mood to get on my bicycle lately, I'm not sure why, but it's been raining a lot here, so even if I were, I wouldn't.

I did rediscover something about living alone during the rainy days that I used to know before I ended up living on people's couches. Because I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle, I can roll up my rugs and I have plenty of room to practice old school dance moves. This last week I have almost mastered the Running Man, awkwardly getting the hang of the Moonwalk, and I'm still trying to master the Brooklyn. It's been a hard road with that one.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] is it still cool to jump in on this? Haven't been reading the forums so didn't know it was on however have already been implementing my own fitness program this year with pretty good success and the added tracking/checking in would be good.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm hoping we'll be able to extend this to 6 months.. anybody game? I've found it so valuable as a part of maintaining awareness of where I want to go and how I might get there.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First, to answer my question from earlier... why do I care about my health? I'll share 3 out of 4 of my reasons.
1. I am headed towards a path of heart issues and Type 2 diabetes in my 40s and 50s, and I wish to change that.
2. Obstacle courses look fun - I want to be fit enough to try one one day! Same goes for mountain climbing.
3. I'm trying to update my wardrobe, and I'm somewhat limited in my selection because of my size.

This week was better. I rocked the exercises, and started P90X3. An allergy attack over the weekend screwed up my Saturday exercise (crashed about 10 minutes in), but overall, I did well. However, I decided to read the book that came with the program, and decided that I should probably do something easier for a month or so to get my fitness level up. No need to force things.

Food was still rough. Better, but I'm not eating enough healthy food. That's my major weak spot right now. I'm pretty convinced that part of my crash a few weeks ago was because I am not eating enough healthy calories for my activity level.

Gave five lessons and trained three times. About eight hours of exercise, maybe. I am going to start leaning out for summer soon. I don't really watch what I eat, but I think I will start by cutting out some sweets. I will start as soon as some supplements arrive.

What supplements, if I may ask?

[MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] is it still cool to jump in on this? Haven't been reading the forums so didn't know it was on however have already been implementing my own fitness program this year with pretty good success and the added tracking/checking in would be good.

Yay, I was wondering why you hadn't shown up yet! :D I'll add you to the list that I'll be posting in a few minutes. I don't know if you read the OP, but the gist is: We aren't tracking "cheats" this time around, and all we really ask is that you post a weekly summary on how you are doing. Every two weeks I'll Mention the people that we hadn't heard from in more than 7 days.

What are you currently doing for your fitness program?

Status
Not open for further replies.