• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 4 Participation List

As promised, here is the newest and shiniest participation list. We did lose two people this week, so let us have a moment of silence before moving on. *bows head*

If you find yourself struggling, please to not hesitate to post in this thread to vent or ask for advice. That's what this thread is for. :) And remember, it's okay to adjust your goals.

Here is are current list:
AngelLight2012
Coriolis
Glycerine
INTJMom
Ivy
kyuuei
prplchknz
Qlip
Randomnity
Udog
Urarienev

Also:
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]

We haven't heard from you guys in awhile - how are things coming along?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would it be possible to slip in a quick session in the morning, just to get the blood flowing?
Absolutely Not. I am the farthest thing from a morning person one can imagine. Trying to fit anything into the morning other than bare necessities is a lost cause. I know myself well enough not to try it. Better to exercise in the evening even if it means staying up later - which I usually do anyway - but this week, I'm out late with my work activities. Still, got a good workout in last night, and should be good for at least one more this week. That plus walking, plus no snacks around, and the week shouldn't be half bad.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also:

Well, I have been still buried with work and am still not working out but eating healthier since the middle of January. My mom is also now critically ill and in the hospital, making it more difficult to find time to do much of anything. So, I still intend on starting to work out again but I have not yet started.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely Not. I am the farthest thing from a morning person one can imagine.

:laugh: Say no more; I understand.

Well, I have been still buried with work and am still not working out but eating healthier since the middle of January. My mom is also now critically ill and in the hospital, making it more difficult to find time to do much of anything. So, I still intend on starting to work out again but I have not yet started.

I'm pretty convinced that diet is far more important than exercise. (Beyond the basic idea of not sitting down all day at least.) So that's a definite win.

And sorry about your mom. I hope she is able to have a speedy recovery.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also:

Here I am! I keep forgetting to check in so thanks for the tap.

My diet is still going well. I need to keep a really careful watch on my carb intake. I really don't feel well when I eat too many. I'm under a huge amount of stress and I want a cookie...lots cookies. But I feel much better when I don't so....

No word on when my PT is supposed to begin.

I'm still continuing to do my stretches and some of the exercises I've been taught every afternoon but I haven't been walking at all because I'm too tired (and it's just too damn cold here) when I get home. I have to do a lot of standing, walking, pushing, pulling, etc., at my clinical site. The good is that I'm getting some activity! The bad is that it's pretty tiring and shows how sedentary I've been.

Hmm...I haven't done anything for the past two days...several sick in the house and it's been a little crazy.

No pool just yet...can't afford the membership fees.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh: Say no more; I understand.
Put another way, there are only 24 hours in a day. It is always better for me to make time in the evening, but in this case, the time will come out of sleep, whether in the morning or at night. I'm drawing the line here, as I need my sleep, especially when travelling (and needing to be alert in the morning).

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I did pretty good for week four

Gonna give it a 7/10 - decent

I am going to be changing my goals up a little. I pretty much have been eating raw/steamed veggies more than 3-4 days a week now. Which is way more than I expected.

I have been slacking on having a routine for exercise.

I think I'm going to make it a goal that I have to stretch everyday. No matter what. Cause I know if I stretch I will want to workout. It just puts me in that frame of mind. I will do it at night after work.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've come to like working out in the morning, although it's causing me problems when it comes to getting enough sleep. If I can figure out the sleep part, it really solves a lot of my problems. Plus, getting up early when I have the day off from exercise means I get to do something relaxing for an hour before work... like read a book or do a bit of coursework. It's actually pretty awesome.

Someone mentioned today to me about seasonal depression.. and I think I definitely suffer from that. I dislike going outside currently, have trouble getting up and motivated to get started, but once I'm moving I'm fine.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've now drilled in the habit of carrying a fruit - any fruit, whether it's an apple, a banana or even a bunch of grapes - and my water bottle with me every day. I think it's helping a lot, I at least feel good about eating fresher foods and drinking plenty of water during the day. :)

It's still very cold in Chicago, so no outside running for me; but I do take brisk walks whenever I can, mostly during lunch break. (And I have a treadmill at home that I've been putting off using in the evenings for quite a while - shame on me! :( - but I'll try and motivate myself to use it now.)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've now drilled in the habit of carrying a fruit - any fruit, whether it's an apple, a banana or even a bunch of grapes - and my water bottle with me every day. I think it's helping a lot, I at least feel good about eating fresher foods and drinking plenty of water during the day. :)

I think that the remembering is the hard part for me. Until it's a routine that is.

I have been trying to do that too though! I should get banana's! They're awesome for on the go!

I'm checking in for Week 5

Weekly Rate: 8/10

I feel really good. I am eating a lot of veggies now. I just have to add more fruit so that I feel full, faster. Fruit also helps me feel like I don't need to eat as much chocolate.

We will see how well I do with yoga coming up, and stretching every day, in week 6 though.

I have not taken any initiative to stretch this week...maybe the yoga will get my mind in gear.

Also I've come to the conclusion that it's very hard for me to stop and smell the roses...let alone fully experience the food I'm eating. I think it's a mental thing....so the psychological part's gonna take some time to figure out. I don't know why I used to be able to do it...and now I don't. Anyways...I'm cutting that goal WAY down. From every meal....to now I'm just going to try for once a week. Not 3 times a day. :p

Also I know once I can get the mechanical part of it down, like counting how many times I chew....that will help. This pretty much is going to require me to have to have less stimulation going on while I'm eating (Like TV, or Typo C, etc lol) Which is fine in my book, I don't feel like being a zombie in front of a screen while I'm eating. I just have to remember I don't! lol That's the hard part. I need a drill sergeant!

(God if this doesn't sound like 6w7 ^ lol...can't slow down to experience things, and can't trust myself to remember to slow down to experience things :doh:)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
update, this week i fell off, but then I started getting headaches again, and I think processed foods are the culprit so back to eating healthy and it's good. still not eating enough, because i'm eating the same amount as i was when counting calories, but I quit counting calories. still not eating until afternoon, I also noticed I function better on high protein diets and carbs make me feel sluggish.

goals for upcoming week
-continue eating healthy
-eat 3 meals including breakfast lunch and dinner being balanced breakfast just something healthy but not so worried about being balanced since it needs to be quick
-drink water

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks to those who posted your summaries already. How did everyone else do? How are your goals coming along? If you find yourself struggling, can you make adjustments to your goals to make them a bit easier?

As for my summary:

1. Sleep: I increased my sleep, some. Besides Sunday and Wednesday night, where I couldn't sleep for several hours, I managed at least 7 hours a night. Definite improvement.

2. Exercise: This is the rest week in the P90x. I took it a bit too far and didn't work out at all. But I did make up for it some by:

3. Eating. I only cheated twice this week, and ate really well for every other meal. So this week has been my best week so far when it comes to food.

This upcoming week is Phase II in the P90X, so it's all new exercises. I'm excited to try them out! My other goal is to be in bed no later than 10:00. Outside of today... today may be difficult because I slept in so late.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I did my ab-crunches all week long, so that is good,
but I missed my exercise program on Saturday, even though I knew I was going to have to report here. :-/
That makes 2 weeks in a row that I have missed. I really have to get back to it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Better week than last week, overall. But I'm getting lazier and lazier with the updates. Maybe that's good? Since one of the things I've been trying to do is more fun stuff with my family. Anyway:

Eating- good this week. I really feel like I'm getting a handle on things. And I even feel like I might be slimming down a bit, even though that wasn't a goal I made. I'm not weighing so I don't know but my clothes fit better and I've got a few places that tend to feel lumpy when I put on weight that have smoothed out considerably. Trying to be chill about it since getting OMG EXCITED I'M REALLY GOING TO DO IT THIS TIME has always been my downfall. Something kicks in and I go whole hog into some crazy plan and end up losing my momentum. Usually because I've cut my intake too far and I end up rebounding with binges and self-hatred. I was concerned at first that tracking my diet would ignite that but so far it hasn't been a problem. One difference is that I'm tracking to make sure I get enough calories and protein, and the maximum is a much more reasonable limit than it used to be when I would go on diets and try to eat only 1200 calories or whatever. That seems to help a lot. (One thing that also helped was reading about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, which took place near the end of WWII, where they starved these guys and then tried different ways of rehabilitating them so the post-war relief efforts would be more successful. Their "semi-starvation" diets were an average of 1600 calories a day.) Anyway, enough words. I'm calling this 7/7.

Moving- I'm going to have to modify this. The 7-minute bodyweight routine is great but I'm just not able to do it every day. I'm going to try for twice a week. I only did it once this past week, but I walked every day, so let's say 6/7.

Sleeping- good but not great. Stayed up too late a couple nights. 5/7.

Loving- this was a great week. I figured something out that had been bugging me about my son. He's been dropping levels at school more often this year than last, even though he loves his teacher and seems to be doing really well. It's been getting worse after the holiday break, though, and this week I was brainstorming about it and it finally hit me. Pretty much his whole team turned over this school year- he got a new teacher, like every year, but also his EC teacher moved, the two elementary aides who float between classes and whom he ADORED and adored him both got better-paying jobs, he got a new SLP and a new OT. That's a shit ton of change for a kid on the spectrum. But also, since everyone is new to him this year, some stuff that his team had been doing to help him fell through the cracks. Stuff that they just did, that wasn't recorded in his IEP, like taking him out for informal breaks, to run an errand with the aide or just to run a lap in the gym here and there. So I wrote to his teacher and the new EC teacher to ask that those breaks be reinstated and written into his IEP, and they started giving him the breaks the very next day. We're meeting next week to write them into his IEP. I was on a roll so I wrote to the principal to say how happy I was with his services, and that as great as it is for him to have his needs met, all the kids could benefit from more activity in the school day. I think they should add "Instant Recess" to the curriculum and maybe even modify the desks for standing. He wrote back that he was going to bring it up at the next board meeting. Probably a brush-off but I plan to beat the drum some more later. There's no reason we should train our kids to be so sedentary so early. It sure hasn't done me any favors. That's quite a digression but I'm leaving it since it is sort of on-topic with fitness anyway.

Also my niece and nephew (who lost their mom last June) came to visit and that was awesome. My niece got her license and had her heart set on driving with her brother to see us the first weekend she had it, so she did. They got here safely and we had a great visit. We all went to see my mom on Saturday. I got to spend quality time with 3 of my 4 siblings, my parents, and my grandmother. A good week marriage-wise, though we didn't get a date we did go to bed at the same time most nights which meant good connections and both our love languages spoken often. Had some good heart-to-hearts with the girl. She's putting the brakes on a friendship that stresses her out. A boy likes her and she thinks she might like him, too. Apparently she'll find out on Friday whether he bought her a Valentine cupcake and that'll be that. It all seems goofy and fun, which is GREAT because her last "romance" was pretty heavy- the boy was depressed and leaned on her too much. This time seems more age-appropriate and childlike. High school has been good for her so far.

So, long story short, 7/7.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fifth weekly update.

This one is a very mixed bag, due to my travel this past week.

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
I did very well here because, well, there just wasn't anything around to nibble on between meals. Despite being on the road, I made a point to eat very healthy, as I always do, with just an extra beer or two over the week at group dinners, etc.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
As I suspected, I got in only one formal exercise session of cardio plus weights. As I also suspected, I did end up walking several miles almost every day, so on balance I am ahead with exercise for the week. The real problem I see will be next week, though, since the trip completely disrupted the home exercise habit I was finally starting to establish. It will be work to get back to the routine, especially given the amount of work waiting for me now that I'm back.

3. Weight loss.
The earlier estimate of ~ 2 lbs seems to have been correct. Now to keep it off, and subtract a few more.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Belated update for week...5?

1) Bodyweight good. Only 1 circuit each night, but still did 3/3 nights.
2) Yoga okay. Skipped 1/2 nights for no good reason (home late, felt crappy, vented on roommates until way too late at night).
3) Ankle exercises good. 6/7 nights.

Added goals:

4) Start exercise by 11 pm - failed every night except one (...at 10:45pm). (Yeah, this might be a lost cause. I did manage to do it early tonight though, before volleyball)
5) Eat 1 healthy meal a day (greens and lean protein) - I've been doing an OK job of it I think but a miserable job tracking/paying attention to it. I think I got 4/5 or 5/5, usually either lunch or dinner.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I feel more on track this week than I have in the past couple weeks.

Eating has been really on track. I figured out how to get my salads, fruit, and oatmeal in to-go containers during school days which I've stuck to really well.. I stay awake in class, it's a lot of food, and it's healthy. It wasn't exactly the cheapest, but it is working which is what I need it to do. Also it gives me a lot of caloric intake room for our not-so-healthy dinners lately.

I got back into exercising. I STILL haven't gotten around to morning work outs during school days, but I did work out the day before yesterday even though I was dog tired afterwards. I need some 7lb weights and 15 lb weights so that I can adjust the weight as necessary. Jumping from 5 to 10 really throws me off. So I'm going to fill my lovely water weights with some gravel/sand until they reach the 7lb weight, and try to surf craigslist for some 15 lb dumbbells.

My body's vacation over the past like.. 2 1/2 months of being lazy, traveling, etc? It is definitely starting to show. I look like a total marshmallow right now. :laugh: And my muscles were impossibly weak for the quick workout I did.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Slacked a little bit this week, mainly because I'd been so focused on searching for internships/jobs that I partly neglected my physical health - and now I find myself exhausted on Tuesday nights, due to my late evening class. :dry:

At least drinking a lot of water every day still helps. Also, along with fruits I've also made sure to eat more fresh vegetables and less meat, so now I'm starting to feel less sick to the stomach (which happens whenever I consume any amount of meat). Still need to use the treadmill at home more often than I currently do.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
For week ending Sunday Feb 16...

:static: Yay! I did it! :static:
I made myself do my exercise program today... and all week long I have been doing my ab crunches!

Though it's not part of my formal goals, I know that I have been eating too many calories and I think I am gaining weight... again... comfort-eating.
But I am trying to at least use portion control.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 6

Weekly Rate: 6/10

I'm doing good on the veggies, now some more fruit, and the yoga is every wednesday and thursday! Yay.

But I'm getting complacent. I forgot to stretch all week.

-So I'm taking it down to once a week for stretching, in addition to the yoga.
-Also I want to remember to not eat breads, pasta, donuts, etc. My sugar spikes, then drops when I eat them. I can't keep up. I seem to have it under control when I eat veggies.
-Also I want to try to get to sleep at an earlier hour at least once a week. I am thinking that I will make this Sunday night. I would like to go to bed no later than 12am.
( Since I don't get home til 11 :( )
-Eventually the day after I go to bed early, I want to set aside time on Mondays to accomplish my errands. I am just barely making some of them. (Errands including food shopping.)

Status
Not open for further replies.