User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Week 14 update: apparently I'm falling apart. bah

-right shoulder is in rough shape off and on for past few weeks, no idea why. I discovered last week that my form was off a bit for pushups (well, depending who you ask, OMG everyone says different things) and I think that was the culprit, not really sure though. It's also hurting when I'm at the computer, so it might be some kind of RSI related to that. Or from spiking at volleyball. Or lab work. Too many possibilities, bah. It isn't severe pain but it doesn't feel right either.
    -ankle is also in rough shape, still, 2 weeks after pushing it too hard at soccer (no specific injury).
    -knees keep feeling wonky the day after I do splits stretching, which worries me. I did them on Sunday but skipped the rest of the week, although I did throw in a few related stretches throughout the week, like pigeon

-I did all 3 nights of bodyweight, but skipped pushups on the middle day because my shoulder hurt. Shoulder felt better on the last day so I did them again. It hurts again today though.

Goals for next week:

1) ask doctor about joints when I see him next week, that probably won't go anywhere though, if so plan a day to visit walkin sports medicine doc, prob not next week though. I already have 2 frickin doctors appointments next week and I'm overdue for eye doctor visit too, ugh. Why are there so many appointments. I probably should skip volleyball because of my shoulder, but it's playoffs, so....yeah, not happening. I'll have a break for a couple months (!!) after next week though. But I really need to work on my back and shoulder strength for seakayaking in May (next month ahhhh), so I need to solve the shoulder pain issue soon.

2) continue with bodyweight exercises but skip pushups entirely and do other arm exercises only on uninjured side, for the entire week. I should probably skip planks too.

3) splits stretching I'll leave open to do if I want (I think doing it 5 nights a week before was too stressful on the knees), but make sure to take it easy when I do it.

4) since I'm skipping some of the arms stuff, I'll have a bit more time, so I'm gonna aim for 2 sets of 8 reps this week instead of the 1 set of 10 I've been doing, and see how that goes.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I hope you get your shoulder issue worked out. I never fully appreciated sports-related repetitive use injuries until I played roller derby. It took a shit ton of foam rolling, ankle/knee braces, and sports massage to keep my rickety old body going for that. And sports massage is damn expensive!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, it seems so backwards, get more active and end up tearing yourself down more in the end. But now I'm hooked, haha. I really should try sports massage, I've heard good things. I'm just a cheap bastard.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It really helped. It wasn't a relaxing, enjoyable massage, though. There was a lot of discomfort since I had some myofascial adhesion that he needed to break up in my shins. But it really did make a difference, and he always rewarded my hanging in there with a few minutes of nice relaxing massage for normal people. I would rate sports massage as above getting a tattoo but below childbirth on the pain scale.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Injured myself last Monday (shoulder), and 1 day off turned into 2, which turned into 3, which ended up with me not working out for the rest of the week.

I'm feeling better though, and today was a good day. I'm back to my level 2 routine. The plan is to stick with it for 3-5 weeks and then gauge if I'm ready for P90X3.
    Sorry to hear you injured yourself, but glad you're feeling better.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It really helped. It wasn't a relaxing, enjoyable massage, though. There was a lot of discomfort since I had some myofascial adhesion that he needed to break up in my shins. But it really did make a difference, and he always rewarded my hanging in there with a few minutes of nice relaxing massage for normal people. I would rate sports massage as above getting a tattoo but below childbirth on the pain scale.
    I have a therapist who does 30 minutes of massage for $35.
    Been doing it for over 30 years... very knowledgeable.

MBTI
    INTJ

My report for this past week:

I remembered to do my Ab Crunches every morning.
    I've gone from doing 10 to doing 12.
    I forgot to do my wrist curls this week.
    I just got done making myself do my video routine, even though I really didn't feel like it.

Re: Next Week... @Udog
    I am going to be away from home on vacation next weekend, so I won't be able to do my video routine, but I will still be able to do my Ab Crunches every morning.
    I don't think I will have my computer with me, so consider THIS my CHECK-IN for NEXT Sunday, as well.

Have a great week all... and Happy Easter/Passover.

I'll be back April 27, barring the unforeseen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Week 14 update:

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
    I feel like I am making general progress on this, in the sense that I have less desire to eat between meals. I hope this means that I am weaning myself off the bad habit, by getting better at distracting myself with other things and just not being around where food is.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
    I had only 3 official exercise sessions this week (i.e. workout video), but got out bike riding once, and spent part of the weekend doing yard work, so I'm starting to reap the benefits of better weather. Also did lots of extra martial arts practice for a belt test on Thurs.

3. Weight loss.
    Well, no news here. Will work on adding a 4th exercise day, either workout video or cycling/hiking/etc outside and see if that helps.

As an overall side benefit, I am starting to feel like I have a bit more energy. I have more motivation to exercise and don't have to force myself to do it; also more energy when doing daily tasks.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Im loooovving the 30 minute work out DVDs. They're helping me work out even when I'm strapped for time.

A huge thunderstorm rolled in, so it'll be nice and boggy back on the trails when I go running in a couple days.

I made black-bean brownies for dessert tonight. They were pretty tasty! Though next time, cocoa powder vs cacao powder, cocoa powder is better for baking than cacao in terms of masking flavors. Still it tastes like chocolate-y goodness for 140kcal a piece + the protein and fiber of black beans.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten about ya. I'll post the list tomorrow - today turned out to be far more busy than I expected.