• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I don't necessarily fault the trainers either, especially if they are as cute as Shaun T. I haven't seen Hip Hop Abs, that sounds hilarious. I can see him being pretty self-absorbed. My Shaun T thing is partly ironic (and partly not- he really is a nice looking dude). My brother and I will exchange texts after we've done a workout with stuff like "Shaun T's love hurt more than usual today" and "Shaun T told me I nailed the workout and now I need to nail the cooldown today." Also we're having a rivalry about who will get gay married to him first. (Nevermind that he's already gay married and I'm not a man and also already married.)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm hoping my 30 day challenge picks up on the arms too--it was heavy legs last time. I think most 20-30 minute work outs (with the exception of Jillian Michaels) that I've tried have been less heavy on upper body strength in general. Though to be fair I never have used the guided systems they make for those things. I do the work outs as my body mandates them--if my hips are hurting me, I do upper body, if they're on a good day, even if I did legs yesterday, I'll do cardio or jump training because I can't do those when my hips flare up.

Maybe you should supplement it with the upper body work out once a week? I remember the upper body video for the original p90x wasn't physically tiring as far as cardio and exertion goes, it was a lot of just weight training gym-style. I liked that video a lot.

Word on the street is that Block II begins to work the arms and shoulders a bit harder (especially Eccentric Upper), so I'll wait and see. Next week is my week 4 rest week... thankfully. My body was pretty shot during the CVX and Warrior workouts the past two days, and is definitely ready for a break.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 17 and Week 18

The past two weeks I have spent getting a sleeping routine down. I feel pretty awesome after being sick. I have been trying to stay up on the eating right. But the exercise fell behind for like 3 weeks there. I really want to find a replacement for when I can't make it to yoga, like this coming week. Cause that keeps happening. But I need something I can stick to! :doh: And summer's coming, so fun is bound to get in the way. /needs more routines

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]: Just find fun ways to be active while the weather is nice! Kill two birds with one stone.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Checking in for the past week:

I increased my daily Ab Crunches from 12 to 15!

I did NOT do my exercise routine yesterday.
But since it's only the second time since we started, that's not too bad.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm to the point where I am able to consistently exercise. My body was pretty banged up and burnt out for my Friday and Saturday routines, so I opted to take a break on Sunday. Thankfully, this week is a rest week for P90X3. I'll still be working out, but the programs are lower in intensity and easier on the joints and muscles.

I still eat too many "sometimes" foods... so I didn't end up losing any weight this week.

So solid week, with one or two very clear areas for improvement.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright guys, gotta make this one quick. Looks like we've had another good week, though. :)

Week 18 Participation List
Coriolis
INTJMom
Ivy
Kasper
kyuuei
MorningStar
Randomnity
Redbone
Udog
Urarienev

[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]
[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=206]Randomnity[/MENTION]
[MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]
How are you guys holding up? (Also, I know that I'm posting a bit early today, so some of you haven't had a chance to post yet.)

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 18 - successfully got back on track after the week 17 catastrophe. It was a bit hard to motivate myself both because of the "break" and because I'm not really seeing the progress I was hoping for, probably mostly because of the injuries and stuff. I'm slowly working back into lightly exercising my painful shoulder again and I'm really crossing my fingers that kayaking in a couple weeks won't be too awful on it. I also brought back planks last week, while keeping an eye on my shoulder and stopping if it feels "too much" strain, which is fairly arbitrarily defined. It's been a month of skipping all shoulder exercises so of course I've lost all my progress there, but I think if I work back up a bit more slowly this time it'll be OK. And try harder to avoid the marathons of shoulder-intensive lab work, which was the main problem, I think. It hasn't been too sore although I'm still on the computer way more than I should be which aggravates it, so I'm going to try really hard to avoid long stretches and the computer and try to include more breaks. Ankle is back to its "new normal" i.e. mostly OK unless I push it too much, so I'm not going to worry about it for now, but I really need to rehab it somehow before I visit Europe in July and do a crapload of walking. But I don't really have enough focus for that right now, so...priorities.

Also I'm SO HAPPY that FINALLY the weather is good enough for biking and I biked a bunch last week, just short trips <30 min so far since I'm trying not to overdo it like I always do, but slowly getting into biking shape for the summer. I'm so excited to get some non-dreadful cardio in without hurting my stupid ankle, or anything really. It's been absolutely amazing weather the past few days. I even got a sunburn from sitting outside for ~30 min at lunch, heh.

Goals for week 19:

1) stick to bodyweight routine.

2) internet needs to come under more control. Yeah, it's happening. I don't care if it's crazy hard. My should can't handle being on the computer all day at work and then all night at home.

Work internet: set timer every hour and must pull myself away, get up and move around, even just a little. Ideally, do some shoulder stretches each time. Also, try to avoid spending entire days on the computer, since that usually is 90% slacking anyway.

Home internet: this is hard since I spend sooooo much time aimlessly clicking and it's so boring but somehow I have such a hard time pulling myself away from the quick fix. Maybe I could try the timer here too, I dunno. Or even better, I might give leechblock another shot, maybe that thing that blocks websites after a certain amount of time on them, might make my time on them more...efficient. I have tried this many times and always get annoyed and disable it. But I dunno what a better solution is. Having a less boring life off the computer, I suppose. Actually, I think I'm a little lost these days without sports filling up most weeknights! Maybe I need to try a bit harder to develop new hobbies (or the ones I have already). Anyway. I just set it to block after 2h/day of my worst offenders, we'll see how painful that is, I suppose.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Whoo vacation!! :D

I'm eating a mixture of healthy awesome farmer market food and total garbage at where-ever I am trying new things. (It's not really garbage, but nor is it healthy necessarily either. :laugh:)

I completed day 1 of the challenge this week, and I'll do day two tomorrow. ^_^b Also some hiking involved tomorrow as I go through caves. Other activities I did have included tons of walking and swimming in SUPER cold water.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 18 update:

A decent week, though not quite as good as last.

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
Have been consistent with a moderate level of improvement, but need to step it up a bit, hopefully take advantage of the warmer weather when I don't feel like eating that much.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
Got in four workouts to videos, plus an afternoon of gardening and yard work, the last not quite as effective as cleaning up junk wood, but I suppose just uses different muscles. Rain prevented much outdoors activities the past couple days, but plan to get back to that at first opportunity. Last week I wrote, "My main objective here has been to establish the habit of exercising 3-5 times per week." I realized what I have been doing is getting into the habit of incorporating some kind of physical activity into every day, whether an "official" exercise session or not. Still need to make sure the exercises contain enough challenge over the course of a week, but this is not an unwelcome development.

3. Weight loss.
No change.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Food- okay to good. Ate my deficit a few days but never went over my TDEE. Still no binges but since I changed my goals to include the deficit I'm counting this as 4/7.

Activity- I did T25 on 4 of 7 days this past week and on those days I met my steps goals. But I think I might have decided that I hate T25, so I don't know if I'll keep doing it. I'm starting to dread it and I don't think that's really a good way to encourage myself to stick with something long-term. I was enjoying walking and it was working for me so I think I'll go back to just doing that. 4/7.

Sleep- great this week. Back on track in this regard except for one night where I stayed up too late. 6/7.

Not an awesome week, but not a terrible one, either. In a way I think it's weeks like this that long-term success are built on. Any time I don't have an OMG AMAZING!! week but still hang in there, I think I'm overcoming old tendencies to quit when I have a teensy failure. My new mantra is "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How are you guys holding up? (Also, I know that I'm posting a bit early today, so some of you haven't had a chance to post yet.)

Shithouse last week. I'm getting seriously frustrated about things that are outside of my control, and my instinctive reaction to that is to sit really, really still and hope the world doesn't notice me, which is a poor approach when one wants to be out there excising! I've just been hit with another frustration that has screwed up all my plans, but may actually serve to motivate me more as a deadline has been moved forward, so this week will be picking up again, starting tonight!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I kept up with my increased reps every morning... 7 slow ab crunches and 8 faster ones (uses different muscles, I think).

I did my exercise program this morning! Yay! :static:
I've had to modify it because of fear of injuring my knee.
I do some leg exercises laying down instead of standing up.

btw: anybody know why my vitamins might be making me queasy every morning all of a sudden? Could it be a bad batch?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 19 update:

This has not been a good week. A dear and longtime colleague died far too young; I was tasked on short notice to give some training sessions at work; and had some evenings consumed by volunteer activities. My outdoor time was eaten up, too.

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
Eating not bad - staying away from too much eating outside of meals mainly through busyness. Grilling season is upon us, which means it's quick and easy to make light, fresh fare - plenty of lean meats and veggies.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
Got in two workouts to the usual videos. Have had some trouble with lower back lately, so focused the third session on some lower back exercises plus walking. Not ideal, but minimal threshold. I will probably incorporate some of these back exercises into the usual regimen, since I think my back needs the strengthening.

3. Weight loss.
No change.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Food- On target most of the week--we were on vacation this weekend and I loosened up a bit, but didn't go nuts. 5/7

Activity- Back to step target- hit it 4 days this week, blew it out of the water on 2 of those days hoofing it around Atlanta. 4/7

Sleep- Kind of got off track during the week, but brought it back with the weekend trip- it's easy to go to bed at a decent hour and not nap when you're visiting/sightseeing all day. 3/7 but I hope the weekend gave me a good launch into this week.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay guys. After some thinking, I've decided that I'm going to have to quit heading the Exercise Challenge once we hit the July 7th deadline. If anyone might be interested in taking over after the 7th so this can go on, please let me know. :)

As for my weekly update...

We'll consider this a 50% week for me. It was a rest week for P90X, and I did my workouts up until Friday, missing the last 3 days. My diet was good for half the week, as well, and not so good near the end. I still struggle with starting off strong at the beginning of the week, but letting stress and busyness sabotage me come Thursday. (Thursdays, in particular, are stressful for me.)

I'm trying to come up with better ways to manage my stress throughout the beginning of the week, but haven't quite figured it out yet.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I worked out once while in Austin, and I did other things in Austin like walking a lot, climbing on rocks, and swimming in REALLY cold water for short periods of time.. but I'm not going to lie, it's been a wash diet and exercise wise overall.

Next week I start going to volleyball meet-ups in the afternoons once a week, and the summer days are long enough now that I can get home in time to work out. I still need to balance my meal-packing for lunch for school so that I'm not bored eating or starving by the time I get home. I'm working on this...

For now, I made an AWESOME ice-box cake :) I ate it for breakfast today, and it was SUPER easy and it feels like I'm eating dessert for breakfast.
Just layer some light, all-natural whipped cream, fruit (I used bananas, strawberries, and blueberries), and graham crackers (I used cinnamon, whole-grain all natural ones) and stick it in the fridge overnight. The crackers soften up in the fridge overnight, and have the texture of cake! :) It's sweet, but not too sweet, fruity, and delicious! And no cooking required.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Okay guys. After some thinking, I've decided that I'm going to have to quit heading the Exercise Challenge once we hit the July 7th deadline. If anyone might be interested in taking over after the 7th so this can go on, please let me know. :) ...

Sorry to hear it...
I hope someone takes over.
I can't do it myself.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe it can just continue informally among anyone who wishes to continue past the official end date? We could all kind of just try to keep each other accountable by bumping the thread regularly.

A

Anew Leaf

Okay guys. After some thinking, I've decided that I'm going to have to quit heading the Exercise Challenge once we hit the July 7th deadline. If anyone might be interested in taking over after the 7th so this can go on, please let me know. :)

As for my weekly update...

We'll consider this a 50% week for me. It was a rest week for P90X, and I did my workouts up until Friday, missing the last 3 days. My diet was good for half the week, as well, and not so good near the end. I still struggle with starting off strong at the beginning of the week, but letting stress and busyness sabotage me come Thursday. (Thursdays, in particular, are stressful for me.)

I'm trying to come up with better ways to manage my stress throughout the beginning of the week, but haven't quite figured it out yet.

What does such a job entail? I may be interested in helping out and pushing myself at the same time back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.