• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2014 TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Terrible week. Terrible! But I'm okay with it, which is a success of a sort.

Food was okay, actually, even considering Easter- I had a little candy as I was building the baskets on Saturday night, but not a truckload and it fit into my calorie goals for the day including the deficit. So I'm still going to say 7/7 for diet.

Activity was atrocious. I didn't meet my goal on any day, and my steps totals were pathetic most days. 0/7.

Sleep/stress- not great, not the worst. I took a side project to make a little extra cash to send my kid to summer camp and stayed up too late working on that. That's probably why I didn't hit my activity goals, too. But I'm done with the project so I should be getting back to normal this week. 3/7.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read the first post and noticed that the challenge has already ended. Is there any plan for starting a new one? :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
We extended it! I don't think [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] would mind if you joined in.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Although I should probably not speak for [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION].

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, most people were in favour of extending it for another...I think 3 months? Which would be until the end of June-ish.

I'm not sure what will happen then, but I'm in favour of keeping it going for as long as others are interested in continuing - I'm finding it really helpful. I've always failed out of stuff like this long before now, even past exercise challenges, but this time I'm finding the weekly check-ins and discussion (and yes, the @mentioning!) really helpful in keeping me on track for forming and maintaining good habits, and also in keeping me thinking about goals, which is another big weakness for me. Maybe other people would prefer a break and then a reboot of the challenge later though, I don't know. Summer and then the start of school for some will probably mean losing some people anyway.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^Same here Random- I would be game for continuing this pretty much indefinitely. [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION], if that feels like too much responsibility for you to take on, maybe we could do it together? Or maybe there's someone else who would like to help comb the posts for who has posted and who is still in on a weekly basis.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4466]Little Linguist[/MENTION]: You are more than welcomed to join. Post your goals and I'll add you to the list. :)

My current plan is to stick with this until July 4th - making July 7th the last check in. [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], my people will contact your people as we get closer to the July date in order to figure out what to do beyond that.

Also, please update the OP with the July 7th date when you get the chance, so that people know this is ongoing. Thanks!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I updated the OP.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Last week and this week are a write off as expected, not as in filled with super bad habits, just as in was impossible to keep up with things. Literally couldn't ride to work 3 x per week as too many holidays/leave days, did get in some fun mountain biking though which was pretty intense, and will get back on it next week. Slipped on eating 3 meals a day a fair bit so will pick that back up again next week and see if I can find some better ways of not letting it slip as eating seems to be the first thing I let go of when stressed and/or busy.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, good - the challenge has been extended. :D Also, sorry for the delay in my update! (I had forgotten to post it last night.)

I think I've gotten into a good habit of eating fruits now, so I'm happy about that. :) Watermelon is especially refreshing, I've come to appreciate it more.

By now, I'm quite used to walking around campus with my backpack (which might weigh around 15 pounds, I'm not sure) on the weekdays now. Especially on Fridays, where I get a good 20-minute walk from my bus stop to Union Station. :)

I'd like to do more than all of this, but with final exams coming up soon I need to focus more on studying for those exams. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 16 update: On track with bodyweight, 3/3 nights and meeting my goal reps.

More specific goals from last week:

1) make a plan for joint healing, doesn't matter what, just don't put it off again. - Happy to report that being accountable here is the only reason I just booked a physio appointment now. It looks pretty expensive (90$ for initial assessment and possibly also a 40-120$ "visit fee" on top of that, unless that's for something else) but hopefully will get me somewhere. They firmly state only one body part per visit so I guess I'll prioritize on my ankle. I think my shoulder is just unhappy from a few days of serious overuse compounded by my normal computer (over)use, so I'll try (harder) to rest it for now...not sure why my elbow's acting up but again, I'll try harder to rest it in the next few weeks.

2) No weight-bearing shoulder exercise until I stop noticing shoulder hurting throughout the day. - yep, still skipping pushups, which is a bit of a guilty relief, and planks, which I'm actually missing now. I did use some light weights (2.5 lbs) for shoulder press and bent-over rows on Sun and Thurs night (to feel things out), and that seemed fine although it was a bit sore afterwards. I'll hold off on anything more strenuous until that stops, I guess.

3) Replace planks with another ab exercise that doesn't involve shoulders. - yep, still doing V-sits, although I don't like them as much as planks (it's harder to keep it targeting abs instead of lower back).

4) continue with doing 2 sets of everything else - yep, doing well with this.

5) break out the bike this week and start to get into biking shape! Also walking outside more! - haven't gotten on the bike yet, but I did spend some elbow grease installing a rack on it, and it just needs some tire pumping and a bit of oil to be good to go. I'll try to get out this weekend and next week if the weather's nice. Also walked home yesterday along my planned bike route and it was great. Much better than my old place - no hills AND I can even skip "real" roads entirely if I want!! I'm going to walk home today too.

Goals for next week:

It's going to be a bit crazy since I have a big paper due May 1 and will be working long hours for that. So I'll just aim to keep on track with my bodyweight exercises and rest up my injuries.

Maybe one more goal: I'm doing pretty iffy on sleep these days, staying up later and later, and that's not great for staying focused on writing (or for health or exercise goals). Having a hard time peeling myself away from the internet first, and then from my book just before bed. So my goal next week will be to be in bed with lights off before 12:30 am, with subgoals of starting the bodyweight exercise before 11pm and making it to the shower before midnight. Yeah, it's getting bad enough that that will be a pretty big improvement, heh. I'll need to set some kind of alarm to remind me, and scrounge some willpower from somewhere. If I make it to bed early I'll reward myself with reading time and if I'm late I will try my best to not start reading (I just started a book I really like).

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I read the first post and noticed that the challenge has already ended. Is there any plan for starting a new one? :)

:hi: LINGUIST!!! :hi:

It's still ongoing... I'm sure no one would mind if you hopped in.
Everyone sets their own personal goals and reports back once a week on how they did.

So nice to see you!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Checking in for this past week.

I was in Virginia on vacation and totally blew it.
This morning I woke up with a headache and I so did NOT want to exercise, but I did it anyway! :static:
Very proud of myself. Couldn't have done it without you guys here. :hug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 16 update:

A better week overall, party due to relatives' departure, end of rehearsals (more evening time), and good weather.

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
I'm still not happy with my ability to be mindful of what I eat and to deliberately control it, but circumstances conspired for it to be a good week. I spent alot of time outside being active, which simply kept me away from nibbles, plus when I am active I just don't feel like eating that much in the evening.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
Got in three of the usual workouts (to videos), plus two good afternoons of yard work - things like sawing wood, chopping wood, hauling wood around (we have alot of trees), which makes for a pretty decent workout when I keep at it, and is much more fun than workout videos. So, a very good week.

3. Weight loss.
Perhaps another pound - too soon to tell if real.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Food: Big money, no whammies. I indulged this weekend at my birthday dinner (tapas!) but I was also very active that day so it didn't exceed my TDEE, and it was my birthday dinner. So I am feeling no guilt. 6/7.

Activity: not good, but better than last week, and one really good active day. I had to make a lot of unexpected revisions on the side project I was doing that made it difficult to find time to exercise last week, but that was wrapped up by Friday. Yesterday I started Shaun T's T25 thing (my brother is doing it, so we did one together, and he copied it for me), went on a bike ride with my sweetie, and played bocce with my brother and his gf. Today (Sunday) I went on another bike ride and a walk. 2/7.

Sleep/stress- It was a busy week, but emotionally I was pretty "up," so maybe that is a wash stress-wise. I slept okay and enough most nights. 5/7.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Week 16 - I was sick (still kinda am)

Bah. I think it was like a 5/10. Not much to report.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good week for me.

1. Exercise. Completed my first week of P90X3, and did 6 out of the 7 routines. The only day I missed was Saturday, and that was because I was walking around DC.

2. Diet. Solid, but definitely room for improvement. My pattern lately has been one good day, one solid day with a big cheat or two near the end that ends up diminishing all of the hard work I've put into diet/exercising. I am to the point where when I have 100% control of the routine I do fine. But throw me a curve ball that disrupts my routine, and I very quickly start making bad choices. So that's what I need to work on next.

3. Sleep. Probably managed 6.5 hours most nights, with two 7.5+ hour nights. This needs work, too. I also discovered that I need a new bed... will likely begin shopping for one near the end of the week.

As far as weight, I don't really know because I forgot to weigh myself. However, two people did ask me if I've lost weight lately, so that's a good sign.

I spent alot of time outside being active, which simply kept me away from nibbles, plus when I am active I just don't feel like eating that much in the evening.

Same here. In fact, one of the best things about being active (for me) is that my appetite is actually diminished, and when I eat, I'm hungry for real food. I don't get junk food cravings unless the food is right in front of me smelling all delicious and whatnot.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...And now on to the list. I'd love to way the weather has been warming up, but that doesn't seem to be true for a lot of areas. On the plus side, the longer days and extra sunshine seems to be helping! It's great to see that most of us did pretty well this week. As for the list...

Week 16 Participation List
Coriolis
INTJMom
Ivy
Kasper
kyuuei
MorningStar
Randomnity
Redbone
Udog
Urarienev

Also, we haven't hear from [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION] for a little while. How are you two doing?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: Heyo there! It's finals week (and by week I mean 3 weeks.. 12 tests in four weeks, with the last two weeks containing 3 tests a piece) over here in Houston, and spring is in the air!

First order of agenda: Food. 80% Raw vegan diet made me FEEL much better... until my stomach started to churn about it. I actually gained weight, a significant portion (5 lbs) which I didn't know was even possible since I was eating less calories but still getting a recommended amount of them AND eating whatever I want for dinner. Also none of it was muscle--which I knew I was going to atrophy a bit since I haven't been grinding at weights like usual, but this is crazy. Also my stomach started to get upset constantly.. so much fiber, and my stomach actually wasn't adjusting to it. Too much raw foods throughout the day. It was super convenient this semester, since I could grab cold stuff from the fridge and run, but at the end of the day my stomach cannot tolerate it. I have no idea what I did wrong--I ate enough calories, did stomach-help guidelines, hydrated, and I got enough protein... :shrug:

Since I still want something sustainable and enriching, I'm looking at the idea of combining a few concepts: trimming things down to farm-fresh foods, and eating an anti-inflammatory style diet. Mostly because I want my mother to go on one, and we eat/cook together, but the food selection is much more open and offers a lot more protein. I'm still eating tons of veggies, but now I'm trying to break them down and cook them more than I was before--eating quiches that are 70% vegetables sauteed, using veggies in place of noodles and boiling them, etc. I'm not eating 100% healthy yet and we're no where near farm-fresh foods, but we're scooting our way closer to it all.

(As a quick side note: My parents sucked at the week where they had to start drinking a glass of water when they woke up. However, they're giving it a shot to cut down their caffeine consumption and we made a series of coffee containers with different levels of decaf mixed into them. By the time they're done with the containers they'll have switched over to only drinking 25% caffeine. And we're still jamming with other two points: only drink sweet tea we made at home, and only use salt to cook--we use herbs and spices only at the dinner table now. So that's chugging along fine.)

Exercise: I ran twice this week, even if it costed me some study time to do so--whenever I got a headache from it all I got up and ran. I was talking about two-a-days before when I started this challenge.. and I signed up for this May Challenge here at whoever-the-eff Betty Rocker is, and it seems like her exercises are anywhere between 15-30 minutes long, with longer durations if desired. My idea is to do this girl's workouts in the morning, and complement it with a P90X3 workout of the same body system (or do a cardio x3 if the betty rocker workout calls for cardio after) in the evening.. and get out and run at least twice a week. I felt myself getting stronger again--I felt like Birdman, my wimpy shitty running was getting longer in stride. I had a guy running slowly that I was passing, and I waved him to follow me. Later, on my way back, I saw him still going, and I said "you're doing great!" and he said "You're really fast!" and I replied "It doesn't actually take anymore energy to lengthen your stride. A baby step takes as much effort, if not more, than a longer stride. Come with me next time, even for a little while." I hope I see him again so we can run together even if it's for only 10 feet.
http://fuel.thebettyrocker.com/30-day-challenge-registration/

Also, I joined a Houston meet-up group. I'm going to start playing Volleyball on Sundays here in the Houston area. My idea right now is to get exercises that make me just as accountable as my school work. I think a weekly meet-up, running with my mom, and doing this challenge will be a good combo, and I hope to gain some muscle back.

Body: I still have my before photos that I'm holding onto until the end of the summer when I'll take more photos.. but my idea was to get down in weight in April for a baseline, and the diet I was using to do that just didn't fit my body type. So, I actually did the opposite of my goal and gained non-muscular weight. While no one else has noticed it, I definitely have. Can't a girl just catch some muscle tone around here?! I hope for May to be a more productive season of shredding up some muscles, and to finally kiss cold, icky weather goodbye and embrace how sweaty I get after running in the summer. I want some dents in my legs, and some muscles in my arms!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Boom! 30 day challenge started and it was KILLER!

7 moves, one minute each:
- Burpees (just the jumping part though, not the whole move)
- Slide push-ups
- V-ups
- Safety jacks
- Bridges
- Mountain climbers
- Reverse lunge + knee

rest one minute, then repeat 2x. I'm doing this 3x a week. :) I was sweating so much at the end of it. I used P90X to warm up and cool down.

On the menu the next couple of days: pumpkin paleo pancakes with coconut whipped cream, oatmeal with dates and bananas, watermelon and pineapple salad, power greens salad (thats what it says on the package anyways :laugh:) with garden fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, refrigerator pickles, chicken enchiladas, potato leek soup, charro beans, and homemade corn dogs with baked french fries. ;) I'm very excite!

Status
Not open for further replies.