User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    If you're game, I have a question for those who are struggling. Why do you wish to change to a healthier lifestyle? What are you hoping to accomplish?

(I'll answer the question myself, but I need a day to think on it.)
    - Because I feel better when I am stronger.
    - Because I have more energy to do what I want to do outside of the healthy stuff.
    - Because I like the way I look when I'm healthy and have muscles.
    - Because I feel less attractive when I'm skinnier.
    - Because my whole family is sick. I'm scared to be sick too... The only difference between my family, all of their health problems, and me.. is that I struggle to stay healthy. If I slip back and fall too far, I could become sick like they are.. and there's no going back from that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@Udog I'm still here! Had to take off with being sick last week.

Foodwise...doing well with portions. I've experienced an uptick with eating out so I'm going to have to watch it there, too. Unfortunately, I think I'm eating too many carbs again so I dug up some stuff on low-carb diets (not the ketogenic diet I was doing) because I think that will help me a lot. I just don't feel that well when I eat a lot of them. Tired, achy, and brain-fog. I haven't lost any more weight doing this but it's good training for me so that I don't regain what I have lost.

Exercise...I'll start back with that when I feel better.

Edit: Your question. I want to feel better. As much as it's possible to feel better. I have rheumatoid arthritis and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. I'm trying to stave off the need to take something for the RA and to lessen the pain and fatigue from the EDS. It also helps me not feel helpless or that my situation is hopeless. And I do not trust my HCPs to do much except be a kind of support system in this...it's mainly on me to help myself.

There's other stuff, too but it's hard for me to put into words.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    If you're game, I have a question for those who are struggling. Why do you wish to change to a healthier lifestyle? What are you hoping to accomplish?

(I'll answer the question myself, but I need a day to think on it.)
    I wish to change to a healthier lifestyle mostly for one reason: because if I don't do it now, I will suffer even more, and by then it will become much more difficult (if not impossible) for me to change. I've seen what PCOS has done to my mom, and I know she doesn't want the same (or worse) things to happen to me.

There are two other reasons, though: 1) I want to feel better about myself, and 2) if I get married and give birth to a daughter later in life, and she either has PCOS or is at risk of it during my pregnancy, I wouldn't want my health choices to make her life any more difficult.

With that said, here's my update:

Starting to carry other fruits with me as well for daytime snacks, such as grapes and pomegranate seeds. I also found an article last night that mentioned how apple cinnamon water can be a healthy way to detoxify the body, so I'll try that and see how it goes.

I'm not eating as much meat as before; on one hand it's good since I don't feel sick as often, but on the other hand I have to compensate for the loss of protein (which is where lentil soup helps). Cutting down on sweets helps as well, since before I would often have periods of hyperactivity followed by a sugar crash during the daytime.

Whenever I'm moving around on campus nowadays, I'm always speed-walking/running. It feels nice, especially with the adrenaline rush and all. I'd like to do that more often.

One last thing: I find myself exhausted at night, to the point where I tend to oversleep. It might be due to my schedule and coursework load this semester, but in any case I need to do something about this.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This week has been much better! Eating well, exercised regularly (though not up to 5x a week. .. I feel like this won't happen until the days get longer outside) this week, and I've been getting more rest especially seeing as how this week was short for school days.

This upcoming week starts my normal schedule.. but soon the days will be warmer, and longer, and I'm slowly freeing myself of constraints and tiring aspects.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

Glad to see others have been doing well also.

I did it again this week!
    As a matter of fact, I upped my game today and did a harder workout with heavier weights and I wore ankle weights for the first time ever!
    I really felt the burn today!

I was toying with the idea of getting a rowing machine to get some aerobic exercise while I watch tv, but they're too pricey - for a good one,
    But after today, I see how some weight lifting can get my heart going, too!

I'm going to reward myself with a nice steak dinner and a soak in a hot bath!

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Update: I lost 5 more pounds!

This is hard though...carbs make me feel so freaking hungry.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

week 7 update:

1) bodyweight done 3/3 nights. However the last one was done a day late because I kinda totally forgot about it until 12:30 and I wanted sleep more. heh. I'm liking the new bulgarian split squats but as expected, I'm terrible at the tricep pushups. I can really only do one and probably not ideal form. I might downgrade to knee tricep pushups for this week. However, I'm happy that I've kept up with being able to do 10 regular pushups.

2) yoga skipped both nights. fail. I need to find something I enjoy a bit more, I think. Until then though, I need to force myself into sticking with the stupid yoga.

3) ankle exercises ok, missed 2 nights this week.

On a related note, I've been wanted to take up martial arts again for awhile and have started looking into schools in my area. The main thing holding me back is it's REALLY expensive on a student budget - most places are well over 100$/month. I technically have the money but I'm not sure it's the best use of it. I already pay about 100$/month for my currents sports (usually 3 nights/week) so doubling that would be a bit painful. However many places offer a free trial session so I could probably do one of those every week for a month or two before running out of places. I'm especially interested in trying BJJ, or another fairly "martial" oriented one. I got bored with kung fu after a few years because it was just general fitness/learning techniques and never actually using them in combat.

edit: also I'm having elbow trouble with the tricep pushups and bent-over rows, left elbow hurts to straighten sometimes. I think it's because I often lean on my left elbow while at a computer, which is way too much. Hopefully just that and not something more serious. Really need to remember to stop doing that...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

7th weekly update. (Seems like I just posted the last update yesterday.)

1. Improve eating habits, specifically eating between meals.
    Very similar to last week - good days and bad, though evening out a bit. The bad days are really not that bad, and the good ones not much better. I need to keep concentrating on being mindful of what I eat and why, and making conscious decisions rather than eating by habit or reflex. So, an adequate week.

2. Get more exercise: at least three times each week, in addition to martial arts practice.
    I succeeded in getting back to the 3-times-per-week routine - good. In the next couple of weeks, I will concentrate on working with the new workout video, which is a challenge, but definitely doable, and seems to be a good combination of what I need. As the weather improves, will try to work in 1-2 outdoor exercises each week, like cycling or hiking - my favorite.

3. Weight loss.
    Still holding at - 2lbs. If I can make more progress at the above, should come down some more.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Week 7

-Weekly Rate: 6/10

I'm still doing ok with the fruits and veggies. I started out this week badly, but it eventually got better. Also the exercise once a week is improving because the yoga teacher came back to my job. Yay. I am really excited about her. She is awesome. She seems very SF to me. She is so relaxed and gentle. And at the same time, she's not scattered. I need a good teacher like her, cause otherwise I am just spending the whole hour thinking about how the instructor could do better. But she is perfect. Not too fast, not too slow, and she's not afraid to help each individual.

A couple things that could improve:
    - Stretching. I would like to do it everynight after work. But I have not even been doing it once a week
    -Eating habits. I have been looking into the psychological details that could help identify the reason I'm struggling. Its as if I need to remind myself that I'm eating to survive, not surviving just to eat, lol.

So I guess psychologists say that we have 6 basic needs. They are: certainty, variety, significance, connection/love, growth, and contribution. I have identified 2 out the 6 that I can attribute to my eating habits. I think that I eat to get a sense of certainty/security, and I also eat to get a sense of variety. And quelle surprise, security relates to enneagram 6 and variety relates to 7. Lol

So I am going to try to remind myself that I can get these 2 needs fulfilled by other healthy habits. Now just to think of which habits to replace them with.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The weeks are flying by. This was a decent week.

food: no binges, tracked all week. 7/7. I really feel like I've made a good and sustainable change here. Removing the value judgments I had about foods has been a sea change for me. No more guilt about eating the "wrong" stuff in moderation and eating the "right" stuff no longer feels like a chore. It seems counterintuitive but my diet is objectively 1000% better than it was when I was striving for only the best all the time.

movement: make 5K steps on 5 out of 7 days- yesterday I hit 12K (we went to the zoo). No bodyweight app- I think I'm giving up on that one. Maybe just not ready for that yet. So, with that subtracted from my goals, 5/7.

rest/stress/sleep/etc: pretty good. Still with the staying up too late a couple days- and napping a bit more the following day. It probably all evens out, but I don't feel great in the mornings when I do that. 5/7.

connections: great week. it was my son's birthday yesterday. He loves animals, so we took him and his BFF to the zoo. My daughter made him a Minecraft cake. A good time was had by all. My mom had a CT scan and is still cancer-free, and we made plans to celebrate that and my son's birthday with them this week. Good connections marriage-wise, though we didn't get a date night this week. Texted a lot with my niece and she said "you make not having a mom less hard," which made me cry like a big dumb baby. Trying to be there for my nephew too, but he's less forthcoming. I just hope he knows I'm in his corner. It feels funny putting a score on this one but it was a goal I had, so 6/7.

I'm giving this week a 6/7. You guys might think I'm engaging in grade inflation- I prefer to think that I set and reassess my goals realistically.