User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I used to be like this but not that thin. When I was a teenager, i would eat till I couldn't stuff myself anymore. Nothing worked except for strength training and that has limits. You could try weights and 100 - 150 grams of protein a day. Try a personal trainer for a few weeks amd let him know your goals. Number of reps and sets matter.

Maybe @Halla74 has a comment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Just a quick update, will post some responses this evening:

I've only been doing this for about a week or so and I've three things

1) My sleep seems to have improved some. I'm falling asleep faster and sleeping longer (and thereby feeling more refreshed in the morning)
    2) Mentally I feel better than I did before, like I have more energy
    3) I am hungry ALL THE GOD DAMNED TIME!!!! It's insane! It's like my stomach is a furnace and I have to keep throwing things into it.

I haven't even started the weights yet, just the body workouts and the increase in diet
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Really? That's awesome!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Thought I'd post an update while I still have some feeling in my arms:

I got lazy a few weeks ago after I was down with a bad cold bug and didn't exercise much for a while. So I decided to scrunge up the cash and got myself a personal trainer. Today was my first day and he *really* worked me, I can barely feel my arms.

Only twice a week, upper body one day and lower the next, but I'm feeling really good about this. I really like having someone looking over my shoulder, pushing me for that next rep, who knows what to do and can correct my form or tell me when to stop before I hurt myself.

I've very excited! Looking forward to seeing what kind of work he and I can do
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've struggled a lot with gaining weight--I always end up losing it when I try. Being sedentary will make me gain weight quickly--just not the kind I want. So I feel your stress.. I am NOT a thin, long-distance-runner's body, and I have trouble with it, so I understand that entirely.

You DO need to consume more calories than you burn. That's a simple, practical bit of common sense. If you burn all of the calories you eat, you will NOT gain weight. Sure, the TYPE of calories you need are going to be different from other people--and they still need to be healthy--but you MUST consume them. Having high-calorie, small snacks is probably the best way to start out with that. Things that are not full of bulk and fiber (like veggies) that will not fill you up and make you feel icky all day either (like complete junk food). But starting out small--like maybe a high calorie granola bar between breakfast and lunch, and a dessert after dinner that's not full of glutamate and sweeteners like old fashioned ice cream are simple ways to 'add' food to your diet without killing yourself. Avocados, for example, have a lot of calories in them and they're not too filling.. so simply adding an avocado to your sandwich could be a great way to help give you the calories you need. You don't need a TON more all at once.. Slow, gradual steps will build up your appetite.

Speaking of... Exercise is absolutely required. You need protein in your diet so that you can build the muscles you need. Everyone is RIGHT on track with the idea of lifting weights vs more body-type physical activity like Kung Fu. (I would argue Kung Fu is actually really awesome to learn, practical or not, but maybe and your ballroom dancing should be your 'cardio' days, and leave the rest to weight lifting.) You need to push some weight around--whether that be your own, or using things you find around the house, or at a gym with people who know what they're doing. A gym is a really great place to find support for things like this, but even if you're crunched for money, there are plenty of exercises that are free that you can do to lift heavy weights and things.

Keep us posted on your progress, I really like to read people working towards goals like this.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

when i was active alcoholic i gained weight. So if you want to destroy your life and be a shit show, but gain weight, i suggest alcoholism

I keed I keed. Don't do that, trust me it's not fun in the end. I'm just now getting my life together.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    when i was active alcoholic i gained weight. So if you want to destroy your life and be a shit show, but gain weight, i suggest alcoholism

I keed I keed. Don't do that, trust me it's not fun in the end. I'm just now getting my life together.
    Sorry to hear about that

I hope things do get better for ya!
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Sorry to hear about that

I hope things do get better for ya!
    they already have
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Just thought I'd give an update: I've been pretty steady with my personal trainer and I've been following his instructions and thus far it seems to be paying off: I've gained 4 or 5 pounds this past month and I'm eating MUCH more than I did before and I feel great!

I'm hoping in a few more months I'll start to actually LOOK like I'm gaining weight
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Riva

4-5 Lbs in a month. I'm feeling jealous.

Are you taking any supplements and if yes, what are they (did he recommend any supplements)?
    What are the trainer's charges? (I want to do a comparison to the charges here).