User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Just got back from doing 10 miles on the bike.

I was sweating like a mad man, it must be 101 outside.

It took me 40:42... Shaved about a minute and a half off my best time at that distance.

I had an average speed of 14.9 mph... Up from my previous best of 14.2.

Disco: if you're riding when it's that hot, take Gatoraid, or something else that has electrolytes.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yea it does get pretty brutal.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm trying to keep the Disco safe!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I'm trying to keep the Disco safe!
    Your concern as always, is much appreciated.

I want to try a longer 20 or 30 mile ride this weekend just to get comfortable with being on the bike for several hours as opposed to 40 minutes.

I eventually want to do an MS 150.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Your concern as always, is much appreciated.

I want to try a longer 20 or 30 mile ride this weekend just to get comfortable with being on the bike for several hours as opposed to 40 minutes.

I eventually want to do an MS 150.
    Then you MUST take Gatoraid. You must. If you ride that far in heat, you sweat more. Sweating loses salts. Salts are what make your muscles function. If you replace with water only, you risk diluting your blood and can pass out or worse.
    You can buy a little round plastic thingy of Gatoraid powder. Mix it into water. Take extra in a small plastic bag. You will need more than you think when it's that hot. Maybe get another bottle and bottle cage on the bike.
    Of course any electrolyte replacement will work. I don't work for Gatoraid! lol

Then you MUST take Gatoraid. You must. If you ride that far in heat, you sweat more. Sweating loses salts. Salts are what make your muscles function. If you replace with water only, you risk diluting your blood and can pass out or worse.
    You can buy a little round plastic thingy of Gatoraid powder. Mix it into water. Take extra in a small plastic bag. You will need more than you think when it's that hot. Maybe get another bottle and bottle cage on the bike.
    Of course any electrolyte replacement will work. I don't work for Gatoraid! lol
    I always found pure water the most refreshing during endurance workouts. So instead of Gatorade I just popped electrolyte tabs or pills. They're particularly helpful during actual races where they make it easier to regulate your electrolyte intake during the race without fixing it to your fluid intake.

While we're on safety tips... drink enough water to stay hydrated, but don't drink too much water. It can kill you. Seriously. Bikers are particularly vulnerable. I know you've participated in other athletic ventures before, but endurance sports have their own unique dangers.

Good luck with the biking and have fun.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't push as hard when I go out on long rides (over an hour).

I've done several hour and half 15 milers before and not had too much trouble with my fluid intake. I was fine with just one water bottle full of water. I'm going to bring my second water bottle along, and I'll fill that with some Gatorade, and keep water in my first water bottle.

I think I'm going to break down and finally get some padded shorts as well.

Bike seats really do tear your ass up.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I always found pure water the most refreshing during endurance workouts. So instead of Gatorade I just popped electrolyte tabs or pills. They're particularly helpful during actual races where they make it easier to regulate your electrolyte intake during the race without fixing it to your fluid intake. While we're on safety tips... drink enough water to stay hydrated, but don't drink too much water. It can kill you. Seriously. Bikers are particularly vulnerable. I know you've participated in other athletic ventures before, but endurance sports have their own unique dangers.

Good luck with the biking and have fun.
    What do you see as the downside of fixing it to your fluid intake?

What do you see as the downside of fixing it to your fluid intake?
    In a long race I just felt it gave me the option to also get my electrolytes from my calorie sources in food and energy shots. Moreover, energy shots go down easier with water and I didn't really like the taste of the electrolyte drinks served at most of my races.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Just got back from the ride.

I went farther today than I've ever been before. I went 18.1 miles in 1:18:28.

I had an average speed of 13.8 mph which isn't tooo bad considering I've never ridden this far before. While riding, I totally hit the wall at about 40 minutes (the average length of my daily rides), but I pushed through and I still felt pretty good at the end.

That being said, I was so worn out when I got home that I ended up throwing up in the sink after I took a cold shower to cool off, but all in all things went pretty well.