User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Summer TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Cool 2012 Summer TypeC Health and Exercise Challenge

Hello! I hope Zoom doesn't mind the copypasta from the last Exercise Challenge thread.

For those new to this, the idea of this thread is to offer encouragement and incentive to exercise. Plus, it is May! That means bikini season is almost here! (Why yes, I do wear a Speedo, why do you ask?)

There is a contest portion that starts on Tuesday, May 1st, and will go until only one person remains or we make it 6 months.

Now I know you're saying, "Dammit MacGuffin! That's today!" I know, I was slack in getting this started early, so you have a free pass this week. This week I want you to state your exercise goals in this thread, and get ready to start in earnest next week.

{SUBJECT TO MOD APPROVAL}: Any user participating in the exercise challenge portion will get to have green usernames for the duration of their involvement, which shall change back to the normal color if the participant falls out of or leaves the contest for any reason.

You don't have to partake of the contest portion - feel free to join in just for fun at any time!

Finally, the rules. The spirit of the law is preferred vs. the letter, but we do need something.

Rules for the 6 Month/Last Man Standing Contest

1. The contest runs May 1st, 2012 to October 31, 2012 (Halloween!), or until there is only 1 remaining participant.

2. Share your exercise goals with us before the contest begins in this thread, and:
    • Have a goal(s) that is both reasonable and challenging to you on some level.

3. Report your exercising one of two ways:
    • At the end of the week, post what you did for the week in this thread. Each week begins on Monday, so please submit by Wednesday at the latest.
    • To avoid cluttering up the thread, I suggest making a thread of your own in this subforum, and once a week posting a link to your new post outlining all that you did that week.
    • For example, in your thread after exercising, make a quick post stating what you did: "I just used the treadmill for 30 minutes." Then at the end of the week sum up what you did and any cheat days you used.
    • Will I be keeping a checklist of who has done what? Probably not! I'm no J, you all are on the honor system.

4. As mentioned previously, there will be a prize, or prizes, but not one worth cheating for*.

5. There will be allowance for vacations, injuries, etc, where exercise is not possible. Prior notification for vacations and notification of injuries and sickness, with a speedy return to the program will be fine.

6. Each person will have 13 cheat days. You lose a cheat based on the number of days you are short of your weekly goals. Example: if your goal is 4 days of cardio per week, and you only exercise twice, you lose 2 cheat days. If a cheat day is used, please make a note of it in the thread. Please try to do at least 3-4 days of exercise, 1 day a week isn't in alignment with this contest.

7. Changing exercise goals is allowed, assuming it consists of exercise. Just post the modifications here.

Participation Option: This is for those who wish to join late or are unable to stick with the stricter schedule but find the thread to be motivating. All who take part in this thread (contestants or not) will have green usernames, it is simply a distinction of whether one is a member of the competition or not. Disqualifying oneself for the prize doesn't mean you can't participate. Please do make a specific note when you post your goals if ye do not wish to be a part of the competition.

Additional information in regards to healthy foodstuffs and any discussions regarding such can be found in the Exercise Challenge: Healthy Eating & Recipes thread.

Please feel free to offer suggestions, questions, or comments.

Also, please note that this OP will be modified if/when needed updates and alterations become apparent.

*The prize will most likely involve the adoration of all, as we didn't give out a prize the last time either.

Anew Leaf

I shall join in!

Exercise goals: 3-4x/week with 2-3 days of weights and 1 day of cardio

Future Issues:
    Business trip/vacation: June 18-June 28
    Business Event of Death: August 3-19 (will probably be lucky if I can get 2x/week during this hellish event)

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

I'm sort of interested, but not really motivated. I need to lose 10lbs and get in shape, but i like being a fatass.
    by @magpie

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar

I want to participate for the motivation, but not for the contest. I will think on my exercise goals and edit this post later.

Okay, we're having problems with our gym right now and trying to figure out what to do about that, so I am not going to put anything about the gym. But luckily it's nice weather season, so I can do more stuff outside. Here are my goals:

-Track diet at least 5 days a week using Calorie Count, obviously trying to stay within my allotted calorie range, but mainly trying to make sure I get enough of all the things I need, and not too much of the ones I don't.
    -Go running 2x per week
    -Take a long (at least 45 minutes) walk 2x per week
    -Do what muscle-building work I can at home 3x per week
    Last edited by Aquarelle; 05-02-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert

937 so/sx

I'm in and will post my goals / updates in my blog ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

*placeholder for decision* I'm thinking about it. I want to but I have to make a trip for work almost immediately. And then another pretty quickly on the heels of that.

Goal: show up to the gym 3-4 days per week
    Run for 1 mile and do some sort of weight training OR Use the rowing machine and do 500k x1, rest, 400x1, rest, 300x1, rest, 200x1, rest, 100x1

Also: drink a lot of water. Lots and lots of water. I keep waking up with headaches because it's so hot and I'm not in the swing of hydrating yet.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Agh. I've just started seriously looking at gyms to join in my area. I think I'll participate, but I'm not sure in what form, or when I'll seriously start. I'll think it over.

May is going to be a mess for me. I will do a healthy eating challenge instead and I may join the exercise challenge in June. I won't be in the comp but as motivation I will still track my goals alongside the comp participants.

Now to decide the parameters of my diet. I'm thinking of giving up sugary chocolate. I don't even really enjoy it but I nibble on it because it's there. Maybe dairy too as I am horribly intolerant and it makes me feel yucky. I would like to include more raw foods and drink much more water than I do. I'll refine these goals in a day or two.

9w1 sp/sx
    INFp None

What a pleasant surprise. I'm in.

First month goals:
    1. Exercise 4x a week. This will be easy, since I'll be playing tennis 3-4x a week.
    2. Keep a food journal. I'm using a pocket-sized moleskine notepad. (These:

The food journal will be the basis for me to analyze and improve my diet. I'm starting off modestly, and will be increasing the difficulty of the challenge as we go along.

Fun fact: The Exercise Thread Proprietors actually gave out a prize the first time for the 7 or so people that made it. I think that green user names is a pretty good alternative "prize" though for those that stick to it.