9w8 so/sx

Sea kayaking... seal sanctuaries... =O

ZOMG that sounds awesome!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I'm excited for this trip like I haven't been excited for anything in a loooong time. I've been anticipating it for a good 2 years, too (since the conference location was announced) since I've always wanted to visit BC. Should be awesome. So much naturey shit there.

----

Splits routine notes for today: I tried out this one pretty much verbatim - http://antranik.org/antraniks-splits-routine/

I will have to modify it, though. Mainly, it feels way too long and boring. (took ~40-50 min and I want something more like 20 min including warmup....some of that was just learning the routine, though)

1) 7 min warmup with sun salutations yoga stuff was ok. I followed his suggested video. I found it a bit rushed though, maybe just because I hadn't done it before.

2) stretching:
    a)leg swings....meh, ok. I guess this is good warmup/mild stretching, I don't think I need to do 20 per leg times 3 kinds of leg swing though. Maybe I'll cut it down to 10, or even 5.
    b) standing splits was a pretty decent hamstring stretch. I did it along with him for the video (~1 min per leg)
    c) pigeon pose was a good hip stretch. I didn't have a timer so I held it for 15 breaths for each side. I'm not sure how many seconds that would be, maybe 30-60?
    d) couch stretch - augh this was painful. Apparently it's supposed to be stretching the anterior hip but I felt it mainly in my quads. Apparently those are tighter than they should be, which is surprising. I guess that means stretching is good. I did 15 breaths/low pose and 15 breaths/high pose, per leg. Maybe shorter is ok.

3) splits:
    a) 2 min hold of middle splits - these were OK. I tried and failed to take a photo, my room is just too cramped for that (my floor space is about the size and shape of two yoga mats arranged in an L shape). I can get to 21" off the ground.
    b) 2 min hold of front splits, per leg (following the video) - again I didn't have a timer handy so I held it for 15 breaths instead, it got pretty painful so I may have been overdoing it. Not sure how to track progress here. Distance between front heel and back knee? I dunno.
    c) 20 sit up to straddles - I thought these were kinda dumb and unhelpful, plus hard to fit into my floor space. I'm dropping these.
    d) 2 min pancake split - used a timer this time. It was ok I guess, nothing handy to pull against though, so it's hard to avoid bad back rounding. also a bit cramped in my floor space.

------

So for tomorrow (since I'll do it after my bodyweight routine) I can skip the warmup, then maybe a shortened version:

1) stretching (~8 min):
    a) 5 leg swings/leg (x front, back, and side) (~2 min)
    b) standing splits (~2 min)
    c) pigeon pose 15 breaths/side (~2 min?)
    d) couch stretch 15 breaths/leg, moving from low pose to high pose halfway through (~2 min?)

2) splits (~8 min):
    a) 2 min hold of middle splits
    b) 2 min hold of front splits, per leg
    c) 2 min pancake split

Will see how that goes. It seems like a good length on its own (guessing ~25 min including warmup) but a little long when added to my bodyweight stuff. I'll see how long it actually takes tomorrow (and how long it feels).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

side note: Unlike last week, I haven't been sore from the bodyweight stuff this week at all, although my hamstrings are a bit twingey from the stretching yesterday. It's amazing how fast your body gets used to exercise and stops being sore. Not sure if that means I should be working harder - it's still pretty hard to get through the workout so I don't think I'm slacking too much, although I might up the difficulty for a few exercises next week.

It's been a while, so an updated review of my current routine:

1) 5 min warmup - have been doing a basic youtube warmup, replacing some of it with some sports-specific exercises and silly dancing. Reasonably happy with that.

2) 20 bodyweight (prisoner) squats - I've been varying foot stance because every source has a different opinion on how wide they should be. It's hard on my hip flexors with a wide stance, and more in the knees/quads? with a narrower stance. Still struggling a bit on form - my depth is fine and my knees are fine, but I still have a tendency to round out my lower back, and my centre of balance is too far backwards if my knees are where they should be, so I don't feel very stable. Maybe I need to lean forward more - I've been trying hard to keep my chest up, but maybe that's making me too upright. I guess I should try videotaping myself again and see how it looks, because it is really hard to tell while I'm doing it (and looking down is bad form anyway). I'm also finding it nearly impossible to keep my core/glutes tight like I'm apparently supposed to - I can do it when I'm standing still, but I don't really know how to keep it tense while moving. So I'm feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of progress here - they aren't any easier to do now than when I started, and I'm still doing 20. I wanted to get the form better before adding weight but I'm not sure it's actually improving. Maybe I'm just being too much of a perfectionist, I dunno. I'm hoping the hip/hamstring stretches I'm starting this week will help with the lower back rounding problem, anyway.

3) pushups - I've been at consistently 10 for a few weeks now, which is pretty awesome for me. I haven't tried to go higher yet because I didn't want to be totally wiped out when doing the tricep pushups, but that might change in the next few weeks.

4) bulgarian split squats - I really like these. Unlike the squats I don't feel like I'm straining anything that shouldn't be strained, and it's a real workout. I'm at 10 per leg over the past few weeks, although it's still very difficult - balance is particularly hard. I'd like to be a bit less wobbly before adding weights, but that will hopefully be soon. Maybe next week.

5) tricep pushups - still very difficult, I've been going to failure and then continuing to failure on my knees, with a goal of 10 tricep pushups eventually. Currently at 2 real + 7 knee pushups.

6) lunges 20 - no real progress here, I should probably add weights soon. I haven't yet because I really struggled with them last week after skipping Sun, but they felt better this week. Will think about adding some weight for next week, if this week goes well.

7) dumbbell bent-over rows (20 lbs) - I'm still having occasional elbow problems here, mostly just straightening out the joint is a problem. If I get my ankle checked out I'll ask about the elbow too. I can do about 10 reps on the right side but elbow gets too painful after 6-7 reps on the left. Not really sure what to do here, maybe move down to a lower weight until the pain stops?

8) plank 15 breaths (~45 sec?) - this one is frustrating because it really isn't improving at all. It gets very difficult after ~5 breaths, and is nearly impossible by 10. The last few are consistently a huge mental effort to achieve. Maybe it'd help if I worked on strength as well as endurance? I've always been really shitty at anything endurance related - very much a sprinter in build/mentality/physiology.

It usually takes me about 30 min including the warmup, so I don't want to add much onto it and risk being tempted to skip the whole thing. I'm thinking that slowly increasing the difficulty of the main exercises is the best way to go. Maybe I could keep a "core workout" routine that's mandatory and add a few exercises for the more energetic days, though. And of course I'll be adding the stretching this week (~15-20 min more) so we'll see how that goes.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    8) plank 15 breaths (~45 sec?) - this one is frustrating because it really isn't improving at all. It gets very difficult after ~5 breaths, and is nearly impossible by 10. The last few are consistently a huge mental effort to achieve. Maybe it'd help if I worked on strength as well as endurance? I've always been really shitty at anything endurance related - very much a sprinter in build/mentality/physiology.
    Strength definitely.

I've never been able to find anything to make these easier except consistent hard work as you need to build strength in you chest, arms, back, glutes and legs, I hate them! But watching the time build up on how long you can do them as your other strength work kicks in is awesome.

I think the saying goes you'll see the results of the workouts you did two weeks ago, so with time on strength work they will improve.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    side note: Unlike last week, I haven't been sore from the bodyweight stuff this week at all, although my hamstrings are a bit twingey from the stretching yesterday. It's amazing how fast your body gets used to exercise and stops being sore. Not sure if that means I should be working harder - it's still pretty hard to get through the workout so I don't think I'm slacking too much, although I might up the difficulty for a few exercises next week.
    That's delayed onset muscle soreness, or DOMS. It's pretty common during the first week of exercising, as your muscles don't handle the new exercises very well. After the first week, some mild soreness is common but the extreme soreness usually goes away. If you don't feel sore AT ALL, then it might be a sign to gradually increase the intensity / difficulty.

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

i wash my face with oatmeal

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The first time doing bodyweight+stretches went OK, although still longer than I'd prefer at about 45 min. Again, some o that time was spent getting into the right positions etc, so it might speed up slightly, to ~40 min. My hip flexors and hamstrings are pretty sore today, probably from the splits stretching. I noticed that I could go a bit further on the stretches than I could the first day, probably because I was considerably more warmed up (sweating like crazy) and the squats and lunges beforehand probably helped too. The actual splits depth was the same though, not that I'd expect any improvement after 1 day of stretching anyway, lol. I'm hoping that the hamstring and hip stretching will help me improve the form on my squats, and perhaps even help with my ankle problems, although that's more of a long shot.

I tried videotaping last night but it didn't go super well - there isn't really anywhere I can stick my phone to get a good vantage point of the exercises, and I have to move around a bit to have enough space and didn't want to fiddle with the camera. I mostly just caught the upper portions of the squats and a few other exercises, and missed others entirely. I'll try putting the camera lower next time and hopefully catch the bottom end of my squats, which is the main thing I'm interested in. The form for the other exercises is all pretty straightforward.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I played soccer for an hour tonight and was rolling my ankles all over the place - not sure why other than being tired (a bit sleep deprived and also running very hard and not being in great shape these days). I also played on Thurs and was totally fine after, including the sketchy ankle (!!). I'm really really hoping my ankles feel ok tomorrow. They don't hurt now but they feel a bit...tweaky. I have vball tomorrow and Tues so I'm really hoping they aren't injured enough that vball will aggravate them (or worse, not be able to play). I also went out to a club on Sat night for a friend's birthday (hence the sleep deprivation) and danced a lot more than I was expecting to, in heels, so my feet are pretty wrecked from that too.

I just got home about 20 mins ago and immediately did my bodyweight routine cause I'm totally on the ball like that (huge bonus, i got to skip warmup which is my least favourite part by far). Definitely shakier than usual but I got through it.

I will definitely sleep well tonight....
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

oops, I was so busy being self-congratulatory that I completely forgot about my stretching routine. Oh well, I'll do it the next 4 days of the week, anyway.
    -end of thread-