User Tag List

First 23456 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm skipping yoga tonight. I know I know. But I skated 15 km tonight (in ~1.5h). I think that's freaking good enough. And I can't really move now, lol.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I did my bodyweight tonight (thus ending week 4!). Sore legs from skating yesterday and tired from soccer tonight (which was awesome btw), so I'm pretty happy I still did it.

Tentative diet goal for next month (may still be revised): eat "healthy meal"* at least once a day

*using judgement, but loosely defined as containing something green + something high-protein that isn't nuts/cheese/similarly high fat

I'm also going to think about the bodyweight routine and see if I want to modify it a bit. I'd like to add tricep pushups but maybe should improve regular pushups first. I'd like to get to (heh) 10 first. Getting there... Might add some dumbbell exercises as well, maybe drawn from p90x, since I generally liked those. Maybe add some weight to the squats, we'll see.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I had a very productive day today - I made a bunch of little burritoes (20) and single-serve omelet/quiche things (12) to throw in the freezer, to combat the "too lazy to cook, eat easy unhealthy food" habit. I threw a crapload of swiss chard in both (and some other veggies in the burritoes) so they'll work for my "healthy meal" diet goal. The omelets are eggs, scallions, cheese, swiss chard, and chopped bacon. So pretty high fat, but one shouldn't be too bad. The burritoes are beans, swiss chard, diced tomatoes, salsa, plain high-fat yogurt, guacamole, onions, mushrooms, and cheese (I don't like rice in burritoes). Total cost to make 20 (plus the 4 I ate) was about 10-15$, so pretty reasonable for about 6 meals. Also, they are fucking delicious. Hopefully still good when thawed.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

ok...I am drunk unexpectedly. but I will still do my bodyweight routine. so help me god.
    edit: annnnnd done
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Summary of last week:

1) Bodyweight good. Only 1 circuit each night, but still did 3/3 nights.
    2) Yoga okay. Skipped 1/2 nights for no good reason (home late, felt crappy, vented on roommates until way too late at night).
    3) Ankle exercises good. 6/7 nights.

Added goals:

4) Start exercise by 11 pm - failed every night except one (10:45).
    5) Eat 1 healthy meal a day (greens and lean protein) - I've been doing an OK job of it I think but a miserable job tracking/paying attention to it. I think I got 4/5 or 5/5, usually either lunch or dinner.

One thing I did last week is buy a food scale, and I've been having way too much fun tracking what I'm eating. I didn't like tracking food last time I tried, but the weighing is kinda fun (heh...for now). I've only tracked a few days' worth and not particularly consistently, but I'm having fun seeing how many calories and protein (the only two things I'm paying attention to for now) are in my regular meals/snacks. I'm not going to make it a goal because then I'll stop doing it, but I'll keep tracking things as I feel like it, with the nebulous future goal of trimming down some of the higher calorie snacks that aren't "worth it" in terms of taste/nutrients/price/etc.

There's too much noise for the counts to really be accurate (I eat constantly, and irregularly, and sometimes eat very large amounts of some high-cal foods), but so far my daily average is 1850 calories and 62g protein. That seems low on calories based on what I tracked last time (somewhere in the 2000-3000 range, over a week) so I was either overestimating last time without the scale, or I've been eating less than usual lately (I'm guessing both). I might be forgetting to track the occasional snack, too. Lunch (including snacks throughout day) and dinner (including snacks throughout evening) are about even at ~600-800 cal each, with breakfast ~350 cal. So the calories seem at an OK level. Not sure about the protein - I can find a million sources for how much is a good amount, but the reliability is a bit lacking. Apparently "The Institute of Medicine recommends we get at least 10% and no more than 35% of calories from protein" and I'm at 13%, so I could go higher, I guess.

Oh and also um, I made a very very lovely spreadsheet, both for tracking meals and for comparing protein:calorie ratios and cost:protein ratios.

It colour codes itself automatically based on arbitrarily-chosen low/medium/high ratios, and it is lovely. It's really interesting to see the breakdown, and I've been surprised by a few of them. The best protein:calorie ratios by far are meat - surprisingly meat was also cheaper per g protein than beans. Dried beans would probably still win out, but I'm being realistic about my laziness here (although I'll do dried for big batches of food). Protein powder stuff at full price is about the same cost as meat, but cheaper if it's on sale. Bread/cereal/etc is about the same cost as meat per g protein, surprisingly, but many extra calories tagging along. Veggies are verrrry expensive by comparison. Fish/cheese/nuts are intermediate.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 02-12-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My spreadsheet continues to expand. I made a freaking delicious curry tonight and ate about 1/4 of it, and weighed everything to work out the calories and protein (=136 cal and 18g protein per 100g...not bad at all!).

Ingredients (g):

parsnips 186
    carrots 256
    pork tenderloin 850
    onion 65
    kale 38
    mushrooms 50
    diced tomatoes (canned) 30
    1% yogurt 179
    bacon fat 8
    kashmiri korma curry paste 75

It was fairly cheap, too - roughly 12$, for about 4 meals (It made 1300g and I had 300g tonight...unless I go back for more).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Bodyweight done. back on track!
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm pretty sore from the Tues bodyweight - apparently skipping Sunday made a big difference, since I haven't been very sore since the first few weeks otherwise. It also felt a lot harder to finish everything than it usually did. Apparently the strength starts to fade quickly! I'll try to remember that next time I feel like skipping, heh.

On the plus side, it tells me what muscles my bodyweight is targeting, and it seems to be the correct ones:

quads/hamstrings/glutes
    ribcage/abs
    biceps/triceps
    mid to lower back (probably not a good thing. Might be from volleyball, since it was sore after that, before I did the bodyweight)
    upper back

...so yeah, pretty much all of them. lol. Not too sore though, just enough to notice as I move around.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

That the Goldilocks of soreness!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This doesn't really belong here but I guess it can count as added motivation: I just worked out plans to go sea kayaking around some islands in BC with seal sanctuaries and shit and I'm soooooooooooooooo excited. lol.

They do claim to be fine for beginners, but I'd still like to work hard on improving my upper body strength before I go (in May) since I still feel awfully weak. On that note, time to stop procrastinating my bodyweight for tonight.
    -end of thread-