• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge & Soirée

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
:shocking: Holy crap, that's a-MAAAAA-zing. Doooood. Box jumps kill me, but they are great training.

Definitely is! I like training for functional things. Makes you feel like a boss. I'm spazzing out in this video though because I'm nervous/wired because I kinda sorta thought I was going to miss and smash the hell out of my face.

I think you would love it. It's designed to be high intensity because that way it benefits you the most in the most efficient way, but that's why they always have trainers there watching you closely, and why it's expensive. It's also why you have to start out in the beginner class, where they teach you proper technique, and watch you extra closely.

They don't want anyone to get injured, and they will make you adjust the workout specially suited for you to make sure that you don't get injured. Like for me, I'm much better than when I started with squats (was pretty pathetic), but I still can't do it properly. So the trainer doesn't allow me to use much weight in overhead squats, they just want me to focus on technique until I get it right. Then when I'm ready, I can start adding a bit of weight to the bar. With other exercises, I can add a reasonable amount of weight and sometimes even the prescribed workout weight, but overhead squats are my next big frontier. ;)

Edit: They also make you do "DROM" - Dynamic something something Movement to warm up your joints as part of the warm up. This is also important to prevent injury.

The other thing I like about it is that I feel a lot more motivated when others are doing the same intense workout at the same time. Since it is expensive, I might eventually just join a regular gym with the right equipment and get the WODs for free from the internet, but it is much more fun and more motivating to do it as part of a class. If you plan to do it that way, though, it's best to join for long enough to make sure you have the correct technique down for each of the standard moves, which there are a lot of.

My old crossfit gym has a library of videos showing proper technique for each move:
http://www.paradisocrossfit.com

(This is a great gym located in the Marina del Rey, near where I used to work. I only left because it's now too far from me to be practical. Sometimes their WODs are the same as my current gym, sometimes completely different, and sometimes offset by a day or two. Today their WOD was the same.)

Yeah, I just keep convincing myself out of it. I don't think the cost is bad at all, it's better than personal training rates and that's close to what it is, and there's a good gym with a good crew very close by. Maybe I'll try out the beginner class in October and see how it goes.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Definitely is! I like training for functional things. Makes you feel like a boss. I'm spazzing out in this video though because I'm nervous/wired because I kinda sorta thought I was going to miss and smash the hell out of my face.

Whoa, it's almost up to your chest! Jeeeeeezus!

Yeah, I just keep convincing myself out of it. I don't think the cost is bad at all, it's better than personal training rates and that's close to what it is, and there's a good gym with a good crew very close by. Maybe I'll try out the beginner class in October and see how it goes.

Let me know how you like it if you do! Since you've been doing some of this stuff already and are already quite fit, you'll probably move on to the regular class pretty quickly and won't need to scale much if at all. For you, it's just a matter of learning proper technique for each of the moves, and then maybe flexibility issues if you have any (most people do at first). They usually make everyone do beginner class for at least a month, though, to make sure you learn the techniques.

gromit

likes this
Cool I wonder where I can find some of those classes. I'm intrigued.

I actually have a more even energy level when I work out regularly.

As for the tiredness quotient (I am sometimes a useless cuddly ball of sleep after working out) I compensate by exercising in the evening. :laugh:

Yes me too exactly. Me, after working out: :wubbie:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Cool I wonder where I can find some of those classes. I'm intrigued.

Yes me too exactly. Me, after working out: :wubbie:

If you're talking about crossfit, try Googling crossfit + your city name, and see what comes up. :) It's growing pretty rapidly, so if you're in a city, there is likely a crossfit gym somewhere nearby. They usually offer free intro classes once a week for people who want to try it out to see if they might be interested in joining. Good luck! :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Oh. My. God.

This is extreme.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Oh. My. God.

This is extreme.

Yes, Jock appears to be a crazy mofo. :D

The box jumps I do are on boxes that are just a bit higher than my knees. When I first started crossfit, I used to use boxes that were about midway up my shins.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, Jock appears to be a crazy mofo. :D

The box jumps I do are on boxes that are just a bit higher than my knees. When I first started crossfit, I used to use boxes that were about midway up my shins.

On the bright side, if he missed, his beard might cushion a blow to the chin! :D

I want to do box jumps now, but it seems like it might be a really dumb thing. I'm not sure. What are the advantages?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
On the bright side, if he missed, his beard might cushion a blow to the chin! :D

I want to do box jumps now, but it seems like it might be a really dumb thing. I'm not sure. What are the advantages?

My mane of hair extends and I parachute safely to the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I did chest and back. 10-9-8...2-1 Incline bench, deadlift, pullup, and decline pushups.

Now I'm stuffing my face with a whole foods salad with grilled chicken and a scoop of BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC AND CHEESE! I love that place.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Now I'm stuffing my face with a whole foods salad with grilled chicken and a scoop of BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC AND CHEESE! I love that place.

Curry chicken salad, that salad with the spiced nuts and cranberries, lime-basil tofu with broccoli, or the salad bar, Ooo, and they have this wild rice mixture and the-*clamps own mouth shut*

New Seasons has a better bakery and weirdly miscellaneous meat department, but Whole Foods has the deli and fresh pizza/salad sections down.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, is anyone in particular trying to work out in the morning when it's something they normally have trouble with? I have a possible idea.
I was thinking about it....might think harder if I knew what your idea is. :happy2:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

You should start with "boxes" at a height you can clear confidently if you're going to do multiple reps. It is dumb to use boxes that you aren't sure you can clear cuz you could hurt yourself. You should also use boxes which are designed for it, so they won't fall over. A real box would fall over, these are wider at the base than at the top so that they can't be knocked over. The one Jock is using is one type, wooden ones are also common. I like the wooden ones that you can't see through better cuz subconsciously they look more stable, so I trust them more when I'm jumping, even though I know intellectually that the other ones are just as stable.

The advantages are that you work on power, strength, and aerobic capacity all at once. Yes, power and strength are 2 diff things. I have slow-twitch muscles (better at long distance running than sprinting), so I have fairly good strength and aerobic capacity, but power is my weak point. Power is ability to "burst" energy, if that makes sense. So box jumps are good practice for me.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should start with "boxes" at a height you can clear confidently if you're going to do multiple reps. It is dumb to use boxes that you aren't sure you can clear cuz you could hurt yourself. You should also use boxes which are designed for it, so they won't fall over. A real box would fall over, these are wider at the base than at the top so that they can't be knocked over. The one Jock is using is one type, wooden ones are also common. I like the wooden ones that you can't see through better cuz subconsciously they look more stable, so I trust them more when I'm jumping, even though I know intellectually that the other ones are just as stable.

The advantages are that you work on power, strength, and aerobic capacity all at once. Yes, power and strength are 2 diff things. I have slow-twitch muscles (better at long distance running than sprinting), so I have fairly good strength and aerobic capacity, but power is my weak point. Power is ability to "burst" energy, if that makes sense. So box jumps are good practice for me.

Where does someone get these boxes? Or are they strictly gym material? I know what you mean by slow twitch (yay anatomy!) I may have to give them a shot. I guess that might mean I am powerful? I'm not sure. It is hard for me to gauge, because I can't run because my joints will give me out and smack me onto my face and then I'll pass out again and it'll be so messy!

[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] I wish there was wine involved. Too bad alcohol is so fattening. But then, it has its benefits.

*By the way, I just went on a 45 minute walk, exceeding my goal of at least 30 minutes!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, I'm going to do measurements but keep them to myself cuz otherwise you guys will all know I'm not 36-24-36. :laugh: (But seriously, who is?? If you are, I don't want to hear about it. :p)

I'm going to do measurements, but only post the changes. So it'll be something like "Waist: -.05 in". I'll likely post my actual weight though.

Also, thanks for talking about the CrossFit stuff. I'm checking it out now to see if it's something I might want to do.

Also, is anyone in particular trying to work out in the morning when it's something they normally have trouble with? I have a possible idea.

Yes, please do share.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
goal summary:
baseline goal: 6 hours / week
build up to: incorporate swimming + bikram (2x/month) into routine.

i've been thinking about what kind of goals i want to set,
and i'm going to do hours per week instead of days.
i'm going to start off with 6 hours of exercise per week
so an example of that would be 4x90min yoga sessions.
and if i don't have the time on a particular day, i can
make up for it on another day.

i'd like to start to incorporate swimming into my routine,
but i will mainly be focusing on yoga/pilates

aaaand, i'm trying to get back into bikram yoga/hot yoga,
which really kicks my ass. the only trouble is, i need to
go to a studio for that, and my schedule is crazy, so i
want to do that at least twice a month.

food goals: i really need to stop eating before bed.
i'm going to start off with not eating at least 4 hours
before bed one night per week.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
p.s. is there a reason why this exercise forum
is not a subforum of the health and fitness forum?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Are we supposed to start our own threads to keep track of things?

My brain is seriously fuzzy from working out and I'm about to pass out typing this.

Please advise.

Also, I am in dire need of BenGay (the cream, not a person).

Today I did 1 hour Pilates Reformer class and 1 hour hip hop/Bollywood dance aerobics class. There was a lot of booty and hip shaking involved. At some point I saw the side view of our instructor and she was grinding so fast it reminded me of EXACTLY of what my 10 pound male Havanese does to his favorite girlfriend-pillow in the throes of passion. I could not for the life of me bring myself to follow along. I don't think I ever will. I made up for those 8 extra calories I did not burn by not putting cream in my coffee today.