• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge & Soirée

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Wait, are you posting that?

I'll be posting it as an attachment (or linking it if it's too large a file), yes... after the end of today, once everyone has a chance to post their goals, I'll consolidate all the goals into one spot and set up a sheet to track it. It will be posted once a week, with updates for how everyone did the previous week.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see. Somehow in reading the thread I misunderstood. Thank you :yes: I think that will be most useful.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm using P90X, so my goals are based on that:

Weight/strength training - 3x a week
Cardio - 1x a week
Yoga - 1x a week

Bonus cardio on Saturday, but sometimes that day gets away from me, so I'm just committed to 5 days a week for sure. Sunday is rest day.

I forgot to add, it's three weeks on, one week off.

The week off features no real strength training, just more cardio, yoga, and some core work.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to build up muscle in my arms, chest and shoulders specifically, and lose the beer gut.

In the meantime my main specific and measurable goal will be to work out 5 times a week. I go to a 24 hour gym so it should always be achievable, unless sick or recovering from surgery.

Work outs will include 3 cardio-intense sessions, with or without weights, and two weights-only sessions.

Considering your goals, I'd switch that actually. 3 weight sessions, 2 cardio. The increase in muscle mass will come quicker and an increase in muscle mass means increased calorie burning at rest.

Actually anyone serious about losing weight should do strength/weight training. Cardio-only will get your heart and lungs fit, but won't do nearly as much for weight loss as adding strength training will.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Considering your goals, I'd switch that actually. 3 weight sessions, 2 cardio. The increase in muscle mass will come quicker and an increase in muscle mass means increased calorie burning at rest.

Actually anyone serious about losing weight should do strength/weight training. Cardio-only will get your heart and lungs fit, but won't do nearly as much for weight loss as adding strength training will.

:yes:

Lifting weights also jacks up your metabolism for something like 36 hours while the body rebuilds muscle. If you work out again (ideally, a different body part) in that time frame it's almost like compounding the effect.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The only thing that's slightly off track is my diet, still no power so I can't keep eggs/chicken/milk/beef/small children in the fridge and cook yet. Whole Foods is still out too so I can't make my 1 lb chicken salads. When I can get to Costco for the first time it's going to look like I'm preparing for a Lewis and Clark expedition. Fuckin' Irene.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Went on a bike ride!

My legs are going to be so thin by the end of six months. And watch, that will be the only place I lose weight :dry:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have a strength training workout planned out. I'm just going to adjust the reps and sets.

Just to note, I am going to be gone for sept. 9-29th. I SHOULD have internet access, according to the army, but <3 that army and it's intel--they can pinpoint bad guys in an instant, but they can't tell if there's going to be internet on their own base.

If there is no internet, I may just call someone to post in here for me, but my work out schedule will be pretty brutal during my training: PT in the mornings with the army (usually ground-work, sprints, running, etc.), training involving wearing gear in the hot sun all day, and if they have a gym facility I'll probably attend it with my buddy who's constantly working out. So be assured I'll be working on my goals in a different way there :3

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a strength training workout planned out. I'm just going to adjust the reps and sets.

Just to note, I am going to be gone for sept. 9-29th. I SHOULD have internet access, according to the army, but <3 that army and it's intel--they can pinpoint bad guys in an instant, but they can't tell if there's going to be internet on their own base.

If there is no internet, I may just call someone to post in here for me, but my work out schedule will be pretty brutal during my training: PT in the mornings with the army (usually ground-work, sprints, running, etc.), training involving wearing gear in the hot sun all day, and if they have a gym facility I'll probably attend it with my buddy who's constantly working out. So be assured I'll be working on my goals in a different way there :3

You give great advice, but you sound like you could flip me over and eat me for breakfast.

:peepwall:

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Oh, fuck it. I might as well join officially. Low goals, but my focus is on diet rather than exercise. But it's still nice to have motivation to keep it up. I do about 45 minutes of cardio at the gym 3-4 times a week. I guess set the official number at 3 times per week.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
My close-to-home CrossFit gym is finally starting a morning class - 6 am tomorrow is the first one!! :happy2: :banana: :pumpyouup:

I'm excited but nervous cuz I'm a night owl and not used to getting up that early.... :sleeping:

:peepwall:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've officially started to train in my Five Fingers. Today I did 3 miles, splitting every 10 minutes into an 8 minute walk and 2 minute jog. It took me about 46 or so minutes to do the entire thing.

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION]: I have the same problem, but I never regret going first thing in the morning. (When I can force myself to do it.) It's a GREAT way to frame the rest of your day.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I am definitely not a morning workout person, I tried that and just can't do it, and to those that can I think it's amazing. No energy, even after eating, and the first thing I want to do after my workouts is usually just be useless somewhere because that's all I'm capable of doing. I go right after work because a) I'm all antsy from desk jockeying all day and need to move; and b) I'm usually pissed off, and lifting heavy things is usually a good outlet.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I've officially started to train in my Five Fingers. Today I did 3 miles, splitting every 10 minutes into an 8 minute walk and 2 minute jog. It took me about 46 or so minutes to do the entire thing.

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION]: I have the same problem, but I never regret going first thing in the morning. (When I can force myself to do it.) It's a GREAT way to frame the rest of your day.

Congrats! I agree. I'm not a morning person at all, but have been in the habit of working out in the mornings on and off over some years now. It took a LOT of self discipline to get started the first time, but I did it because when I first started, it was the only time that worked with my schedule, and I was training for track & field. I get everything ready to go the night before so that all I have to do is roll out of bed, get dressed, and go. I wake up as I work out. It wakes me up and I feel great for the rest of the day.

I used to be stronger and faster at night, but I never feel like going at the end of the day, so I don't know if that's even true anymore. I just know that I'm more likely to stick with it if I go in the morning because it's just the first thing I do in the morning, there's no thought or choice involved. I just get up and go.

I am definitely not a morning workout person, I tried that and just can't do it, and to those that can I think it's amazing. No energy, even after eating, and the first thing I want to do after my workouts is usually just be useless somewhere because that's all I'm capable of doing. I go right after work because a) I'm all antsy from desk jockeying all day and need to move; and b) I'm usually pissed off, and lifting heavy things is usually a good outlet.

In that case, it's probably best for you to go after work anyway. Kudos to you for going then! I'm much more likely to duck out if I go after work cuz by then I just want to go home and relax.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, for those that think that taking before / after pictures will provide incentive, here's a thread for you to sign up for:

Before / After Picture Challenge

The main thing is that at the end, someone will request for you to post your before and after pictures, so you better work hard to make them count!