User Tag List

First 364445464748 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Well.. Not having that extra month to prepare for the PT test really hurt my goal.

In trying it on my own in the gym, I barely made the requirements to pass, moreless score 100 in two events. 30 push-ups, 53 sit-ups, and two miles in 18:10.

:/ I feel like all this shit I've been doing in the gym has been for nothing.. u_u
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Well!! So. I've been thinking about what I may be doing wrong... I'm talking to some of my friends who do this for a living (translation: they have real jobs and just look like they do) and so I may be getting a protein shake of some sort to help out with this.. Apparently, I've been emphasizing smaller weights and more reps, when I should be doing a mixture of max weight workouts and smaller weight workouts... I've just been scared to do the former because I don't have a gym partner.

I'm recovering these next few days so that my muscles aren't at all sore for the PT test. Hydrating like crazy, stretching a lot. Once I take my PT test, no matter what the results are, I'll hit the gym again and try a different way of working out and see how that goes.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Well!! So. I've been thinking about what I may be doing wrong... I'm talking to some of my friends who do this for a living (translation: they have real jobs and just look like they do) and so I may be getting a protein shake of some sort to help out with this.. Apparently, I've been emphasizing smaller weights and more reps, when I should be doing a mixture of max weight workouts and smaller weight workouts... I've just been scared to do the former because I don't have a gym partner.

I'm recovering these next few days so that my muscles aren't at all sore for the PT test. Hydrating like crazy, stretching a lot. Once I take my PT test, no matter what the results are, I'll hit the gym again and try a different way of working out and see how that goes.
    From what I read from you in this thread, I think you would love and benefit greatly from CrossFit!!!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    From what I read from you in this thread, I think you would love and benefit greatly from CrossFit!!!
    It seems so daunting though.. the website posts things like I'm already suppose to know how to do them.. and although they have instructions, they don't go into littler details (Make sure your back is straight here, or you could twist it, etc.) so I'm scared to try some of the things they do... I feel like I'd be more confident if I had someone there to show me the moves.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

It seems so daunting though.. the website posts things like I'm already suppose to know how to do them.. and although they have instructions, they don't go into littler details (Make sure your back is straight here, or you could twist it, etc.) so I'm scared to try some of the things they do... I feel like I'd be more confident if I had someone there to show me the moves.
    It's expensive, but that's why it's worth joining a CrossFit gym at least just for a little while.

When you first start, you join the beginner class, and the trainers there spend a lot of time and attention teaching you how to do each of the moves correctly for that day's workout. They pay extra close attention to everyone in the beginner class to make sure you're all doing it correctly so that you won't injure yourself. Once you're "ready", you join the regular class, with more difficult workouts. They still watch everyone quite closely, but they don't spend as much of the class time rehearsing the correct form.

And no matter what fitness level you're at, there's a way to scale it so that it challenges you, but not overly so. There are CrossFit gyms in retirement communities where old people come in and do the WODs in ways that are scaled especially for them, and there are Olympians who do the WODs in ways that challenge them. So I'm not exaggerating when I say that they can make the workout appropriate for every level.

Does that make sense?

When you first join, you might be intimidated to see what some of the other people there are capable of, especially the regulars, but they all started out at their own level, and with time, you'll be just like them! Actually, with the training you've done already, I would guess that you would already be stronger and fitter than most of the beginners, and would really improve quickly. I think you'd be excited with the results.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's expensive, but that's why it's worth joining a CrossFit gym at least just for a little while.

When you first start, you join the beginner class, and the trainers there spend a lot of time and attention teaching you how to do each of the moves correctly for that day's workout. They pay extra close attention to everyone in the beginner class to make sure you're all doing it correctly so that you won't injure yourself. Once you're "ready", you join the regular class, with more difficult workouts. They still watch everyone quite closely, but they don't spend as much of the class time rehearsing the correct form.

And no matter what fitness level you're at, there's a way to scale it so that it challenges you, but not overly so.

Does that make sense?
    Definitely. Maybe this will be the workout I do in Africa, I have friends who do crossfit in my unit so they could help me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Definitely. Maybe this will be the workout I do in Africa, I have friends who do crossfit in my unit so they could help me.
    Cool! Notice also that I was editing my previous response with more info, apparently while you were responding.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I was only able to do 50 sit ups yesterday and the day before.

However, that may be better, because I don't want to destroy my stomach muscles (which are becoming nice and taut :biggrin).

Friday, the 21st, I leave for Louisiana. I might be able to work in sit ups then. In fact, I would really like to. I am enjoying doing this many sit ups every day. However, because I will be traveling/going to a music festival....I'll have to play it by ear.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Cool! Notice also that I was editing my previous response with more info, apparently while you were responding.
    Just saw that! Thanks for the info I'll be sure to see what I can rig up for my deployment.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am dealing with a flea infestation in my house.
    I have been spending a minimum 3-4 hours every day vacuuming, spraying and sprinkling!
    I bombed my house a couple of days ago.
    I worked for 12 hours straight on that project.
    I'm tired and I'm getting callouses from the vacuum cleaner.
    All that to say this...
    I have to suspend my involvement in this challenge for the time being.
    As soon as I feel safe to lay on the floor to do my exercises,
    I will join back in.
    It's okay if I don't qualify for a prize.
    If it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't have been exercising at all.
    My health and improved muscle and bone strength is enough of a prize for me!
    Of course, I will still be stopping in every day or two to read the posts.
    I appreciate you all.