User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Interesting....I have a (not very high up) pullup bar and I've been trying them with toes touching the floor at an angle (so like a portion of body weight) but I find that frustrating/useless because you can't really keep the amount of weight constant so it ends up being either way too hard or way too easy. I think I will have to investigate this rubber band thing, seems like a useful idea.

I've also never heard of this jumping pullup thing so I'll have to look more into that, too. Thanks for the info!
    You're welcome!

Hopefully you can find some big rubber bands, cuz I find them more useful than jumping pull-ups. I had the same problem of way too hard vs way too easy. The part where you jump is way too easy, and the part where you lift beyond the jump is way too hard. Maybe try Googling them? You could also try finding your nearest CrossFit gym and asking them for advice? Good luck!

Which reminds me, I think I forgot to respond to @Antimony a couple of weeks ago about where to buy "boxes" for box jumping? I'm not sure, but I would advise the same thing: Google first, and if that doesn't work, then try asking your local CrossFit gym where to get them.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Interesting....I have a (not very high up) pullup bar and I've been trying them with toes touching the floor at an angle (so like a portion of body weight) but I find that frustrating/useless because you can't really keep the amount of weight constant so it ends up being either way too hard or way too easy. I think I will have to investigate this rubber band thing, seems like a useful idea.

I've also never heard of this jumping pullup thing so I'll have to look more into that, too. Thanks for the info!
    Jumping is a great way to build up; you just give yourself a little boost and it helps tremendously. Also, consider trying negative pullups: jump up there and slooowwwwwly lower yourself down. 50 of those and you'll be sore for a week.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Jumping is a great way to build up; you just give yourself a little boost and it helps tremendously. Also, consider trying negative pullups: jump up there and slooowwwwwly lower yourself down. 50 of those and you'll be sore for a week.
    That's what the trainers recommended to me, too. However, at my level of fitness, I don't find that helpful because I'm not strong enough to lower myself slowly (without a band). I dunno, maybe I do it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    90 minutes of Bikram Yoga. Burned approx. 890 calories
    I looked it up and watched a few videos. Played around with a few stretches as a cooldown in my class today. I'm interested in learning more now. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    My internet atm is at all times either broken or in the process of breaking so I haven't been able to post updates. Have no clue when this will be fixed but until then my only posts may be the weekly required ones =/

Anyhoo, got the workouts that I wanted in, but have some room to improve with food.
    Yeah, yeah, likely story. What is next? The dog ate my modem?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Interesting....I have a (not very high up) pullup bar and I've been trying them with toes touching the floor at an angle (so like a portion of body weight) but I find that frustrating/useless because you can't really keep the amount of weight constant so it ends up being either way too hard or way too easy.
    You could try a chair. Easier to keep the force constant. Just put a foot on it to help out.

You could try bands. Here are the best ones. 9 bucks for one. A mini band would be enough, mimics the movement so it is better than feet on the floor.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You could try a chair. Easier to keep the force constant. Just put a foot on it to help out.
    The bar is low enough (it hangs from a doorway) that I don't think that would work logistically (unless maybe if I kneel or something....would have to look at the height again at home). I've been trying to mimic the chair thing they show in p90x with the floor, which seems to be approximately the same height difference as their very high bars with the chair. It just doesn't work very well for me, though. My bar is at roughly head-level for me when I stand on the floor. Maybe a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    You could try bands. Here are the best ones. 9 bucks for one. A mini band would be enough, mimics the movement so it is better than feet on the floor.
    Cool, thanks for the brand rec. I tried a cheap band "pullup" thing before where you hang it over a door and pull towards your chest, but it was both a) ridiculously easy and b) I was terrified it would snap off the door and smack me hard in the face. So I returned it.

edit: I'm guessing I'd want something like this, which says it's for pullups: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=138&pid=248

or maybe even the "strong" one.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The bar is low enough (it hangs from a doorway) that I don't think that would work logistically (unless maybe if I kneel or something....would have to look at the height again at home). I've been trying to mimic the chair thing they show in p90x with the floor, which seems to be approximately the same height difference as their very high bars with the chair. It just doesn't work very well for me, though. My bar is at roughly head-level for me when I stand on the floor. Maybe a bit higher.
    That's kind of what I have (sucks!), I had to move the chair further away. Need a heavy chair too to keep it from sliding as you are pushing more out than down.

MBTI
    INTJ

Congrats to everyone who is staying on track!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@redcheerio: thanks for telling me I had forgotten

Oh, and I did sit ups today. 30, of course.

Today: walked several hours
    Sit ups

Yoga

I'll probably be practicing dance soon. Organizing my room though, shredding papers so I am not tempted to go back to them.

And irritatingly, I feel like I look like I am gaining weight, despite exercising/eating right.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex