User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Update
    Thursday-30 minute cardio (walking) and 30 minute lower body strength training (squats and lunges)
    Friday-30 minute cardio (walking) 30 minute core strength training (crunches and ball exercises)
    Saturday-cheat day
    Sunday-day of rest
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

90 minutes of Bikram Yoga. Burned approx. 890 calories
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

My internet atm is at all times either broken or in the process of breaking so I haven't been able to post updates. Have no clue when this will be fixed but until then my only posts may be the weekly required ones =/

Anyhoo, got the workouts that I wanted in, but have some room to improve with food.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Made it to the 6 am CrossFit class again!

WOD - 5 rounds for time, each round:
    10 dead lifts (105 lbs)
    15 pull-ups (used the medium band)
    200 m run

Completed the 5 rounds in 18:04, finished last of 3 people. Struggled with grip fatigue on the pull-ups after doing dead lifts, took a lot of breaks during the pull-ups. (I don't think I had any muscles at all in my forearms until I started doing CrossFit! )

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Made it to the 6 am CrossFit class again!

WOD - 5 rounds for time, each round:
    10 dead lifts (105 lbs)
    200 m run

Completed the 5 rounds in 18:04, finished last of 3 people. Struggled with grip fatigue on the pull-ups after doing dead lifts, took a lot of breaks during the pull-ups. (I don't think I had any muscles at all in my forearms until I started doing CrossFit! )
    I tend to get grip problems too. I've found not wrapping my thumbs around the bars really helps. Forearms get extremely tight/stiff, and I even get numbness in my wrists and stuff. Not fun at all.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You can do 15 pullups?! *very impressed*. Most females I've asked can't do any, myself included.

edit: wait, you are female right? I'm not just confused?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I tend to get grip problems too. I've found not wrapping my thumbs around the bars really helps. Forearms get extremely tight/stiff, and I even get numbness in my wrists and stuff. Not fun at all.
    You mean not wrapping your thumbs during pull-ups, dead lifts, or both? I've never tried that. For the deadlifts, I started out in the normal position, but from the third round on, I was alternating my hands so that one wrist was facing forward and the other back, then I would switch on the next round, and that helps. For the pull-ups, I didn't change my grip, though, and maybe I should have.

At the last gym I belonged to, I think the pull-up bars were slightly larger in diameter, but I'm not sure. They also had grip treads, which I miss. At this gym, the pull-up bars are slipperier, so it is more dangerous to keep going with grip fatigue. It's especially risky when using bands, so I take breaks if my grip is tired. I also used chalk every round starting from the second or third round.

I haven't had numbness, though, that doesn't sound fun. :/ But yeah, my forearms do get really tight. It seems annoying to be limited by my grip, but I guess it's good that I'm building it up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Sorry for the late update.

I did the three required workouts for last week. Diet so far has been successful.

This week, two workouts have been done with one more coming tomorrow.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    You can do 15 pullups?! *very impressed*. Most females I've asked can't do any, myself included.

edit: wait, you are female right? I'm not just confused?
    Yes, I'm female. No, I can't do 15 pull-ups, I can only do them with the big elastic band, which is what I meant by "medium band". And we didn't just do 15, we did 5 rounds x 15 = 75 pull-ups!!! (But I did them with the help of the elastic band!)

Oh, and we do kipping pull-ups, not strict pull-ups. They are much easier than strict pull-ups. Kipping uses momentum to help you get up. It takes practice to get the rhythm, but once your body gets it, it is much easier.

They have these big elastic bands you can use, which help a lot. You knot it to the bar, and then put one foot in the elastic band, so it helps lift your weight for you.

When I first started CrossFit, I couldn't even do them with the biggest, fattest elastic band they had available! I was doing jumping pull-ups, and not improving at all, which I found really frustrating. So I asked a trainer for advice, and she suggested lowering the rings and positioning myself at an angle so that my heels were touching the ground, but my body was as close to horizontal as possible, then lift myself so that my chest aligned with the rings, then lower myself again. Sorta like reverse pushups, pulling myself towards the rings and lowering myself again.

I did those ring-pulls after every workout for a couple of weeks, and was finally able to do pull-ups with the fat band, yay! The first time I did pull-ups with the band, the muscles at the bottom of my shoulders were super sore, so I guess that was what was limiting me, and what the rings helped me build. I used the fat band for a few weeks, then a slightly less fat band for a few weeks, and then the medium band.

I'm still at the medium band and will be for awhile, because the next band down from it is way thinner. My old gym had a lot more variety in band sizes than this one does. For some reason, the owner of this gym thinks jumping pull-ups are better, but I sure as hell get a lot more out of band pull-ups than I do out of jumping pull-ups. (I find band pull-ups much more difficult, so I get a better workout from them and imagine I'm building more strength that way.)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yes, I'm female. No, I can't do 15 pull-ups, I can only do them with the big elastic band, which is what I meant by "medium band". And we didn't just do 15, we did 5 rounds x 15 = 75 pull-ups!!! (But I did them with the help of the elastic band!)

Oh, and we do kipping pull-ups, not strict pull-ups. They are much easier than strict pull-ups. Kipping uses momentum to help you get up. It takes practice to get the rhythm, but once your body gets it, it is much easier.

They have these big elastic bands you can use, which help a lot. You knot it to the bar, and then put one foot in the elastic band, so it helps lift your weight for you.

When I first started CrossFit, I couldn't even do them with the biggest, fattest elastic band they had available! I was doing jumping pull-ups, and not improving at all, which I found really frustrating. So I asked a trainer for advice, and she suggested lowering the rings and positioning myself at an angle so that my heels were touching the ground, but my body was as close to horizontal as possible, then lift myself so that my chest aligned with the rings, then lower myself again. Sorta like reverse pushups, pulling myself towards the rings and lowering myself again.

I did those ring-pulls after every workout for a couple of weeks, and was finally able to do pull-ups with the fat band, yay! The first time I did pull-ups with the band, the muscles at the bottom of my shoulders were super sore, so I guess that was what was limiting me, and what the rings helped me build. I used the fat band for a few weeks, then a slightly less fat band for a few weeks, and then the medium band.

I'm still at the medium band and will be for awhile, because the next band down from it is way thinner. My old gym had a lot more variety in band sizes than this one does. For some reason, the owner of this gym thinks jumping pull-ups are better, but I sure as hell get a lot more out of band pull-ups than I do out of jumping pull-ups. (I find band pull-ups much more difficult, so I get a better workout from them and imagine I'm building more strength that way.)
    Interesting....I have a (not very high up) pullup bar and I've been trying them with toes touching the floor at an angle (so like a portion of body weight) but I find that frustrating/useless because you can't really keep the amount of weight constant so it ends up being either way too hard or way too easy. I think I will have to investigate this rubber band thing, seems like a useful idea.

I've also never heard of this jumping pullup thing so I'll have to look more into that, too. Thanks for the info!
    -end of thread-