User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 556

  1. #171
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post

    Also, is anyone in particular trying to work out in the morning when it's something they normally have trouble with? I have a possible idea.
    I was thinking about it....might think harder if I knew what your idea is.
    -end of thread-

  2. #172
    Senior Member redcheerio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    On the bright side, if he missed, his beard might cushion a blow to the chin!

    I want to do box jumps now, but it seems like it might be a really dumb thing. I'm not sure. What are the advantages?
    You should start with "boxes" at a height you can clear confidently if you're going to do multiple reps. It is dumb to use boxes that you aren't sure you can clear cuz you could hurt yourself. You should also use boxes which are designed for it, so they won't fall over. A real box would fall over, these are wider at the base than at the top so that they can't be knocked over. The one Jock is using is one type, wooden ones are also common. I like the wooden ones that you can't see through better cuz subconsciously they look more stable, so I trust them more when I'm jumping, even though I know intellectually that the other ones are just as stable.

    The advantages are that you work on power, strength, and aerobic capacity all at once. Yes, power and strength are 2 diff things. I have slow-twitch muscles (better at long distance running than sprinting), so I have fairly good strength and aerobic capacity, but power is my weak point. Power is ability to "burst" energy, if that makes sense. So box jumps are good practice for me.

  3. #173
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Tell me about the Soirée part. Is wine involved?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  4. #174
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    You should start with "boxes" at a height you can clear confidently if you're going to do multiple reps. It is dumb to use boxes that you aren't sure you can clear cuz you could hurt yourself. You should also use boxes which are designed for it, so they won't fall over. A real box would fall over, these are wider at the base than at the top so that they can't be knocked over. The one Jock is using is one type, wooden ones are also common. I like the wooden ones that you can't see through better cuz subconsciously they look more stable, so I trust them more when I'm jumping, even though I know intellectually that the other ones are just as stable.

    The advantages are that you work on power, strength, and aerobic capacity all at once. Yes, power and strength are 2 diff things. I have slow-twitch muscles (better at long distance running than sprinting), so I have fairly good strength and aerobic capacity, but power is my weak point. Power is ability to "burst" energy, if that makes sense. So box jumps are good practice for me.
    Where does someone get these boxes? Or are they strictly gym material? I know what you mean by slow twitch (yay anatomy!) I may have to give them a shot. I guess that might mean I am powerful? I'm not sure. It is hard for me to gauge, because I can't run because my joints will give me out and smack me onto my face and then I'll pass out again and it'll be so messy!

    @gromit I wish there was wine involved. Too bad alcohol is so fattening. But then, it has its benefits.




    *By the way, I just went on a 45 minute walk, exceeding my goal of at least 30 minutes!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  5. #175
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    OK, I'm going to do measurements but keep them to myself cuz otherwise you guys will all know I'm not 36-24-36. (But seriously, who is?? If you are, I don't want to hear about it. :P)
    I'm going to do measurements, but only post the changes. So it'll be something like "Waist: -.05 in". I'll likely post my actual weight though.

    Also, thanks for talking about the CrossFit stuff. I'm checking it out now to see if it's something I might want to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Also, is anyone in particular trying to work out in the morning when it's something they normally have trouble with? I have a possible idea.
    Yes, please do share.

  6. #176
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    gromit= I wish there was wine involved. Too bad alcohol is so fattening. But then, it has its benefits.
    No wine??? Okay I QUIT.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #177
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    goal summary:
    baseline goal: 6 hours / week
    build up to: incorporate swimming + bikram (2x/month) into routine.

    i've been thinking about what kind of goals i want to set,
    and i'm going to do hours per week instead of days.
    i'm going to start off with 6 hours of exercise per week
    so an example of that would be 4x90min yoga sessions.
    and if i don't have the time on a particular day, i can
    make up for it on another day.

    i'd like to start to incorporate swimming into my routine,
    but i will mainly be focusing on yoga/pilates

    aaaand, i'm trying to get back into bikram yoga/hot yoga,
    which really kicks my ass. the only trouble is, i need to
    go to a studio for that, and my schedule is crazy, so i
    want to do that at least twice a month.

    food goals: i really need to stop eating before bed.
    i'm going to start off with not eating at least 4 hours
    before bed one night per week.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  8. #178
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    p.s. is there a reason why this exercise forum
    is not a subforum of the health and fitness forum?
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

  9. #179
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Are we supposed to start our own threads to keep track of things?

    My brain is seriously fuzzy from working out and I'm about to pass out typing this.

    Please advise.

    Also, I am in dire need of BenGay (the cream, not a person).

    Today I did 1 hour Pilates Reformer class and 1 hour hip hop/Bollywood dance aerobics class. There was a lot of booty and hip shaking involved. At some point I saw the side view of our instructor and she was grinding so fast it reminded me of EXACTLY of what my 10 pound male Havanese does to his favorite girlfriend-pillow in the throes of passion. I could not for the life of me bring myself to follow along. I don't think I ever will. I made up for those 8 extra calories I did not burn by not putting cream in my coffee today.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  10. #180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    No wine??? Okay I QUIT.
    It's better not to drink, but if you're going to (like I am now) it's better to stay with distilled spirits.

Similar Threads

  1. TypeC Challenge Questionnaire | What type am I?
    By Uta Trepe in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2017, 04:51 PM
  2. TypeC Exercise Challenge and Contest
    By Udog in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3323
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
  4. NFL Playoff Challenge TypeC Group
    By nortia in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
  5. TypeC Exercise Challenge! Anyone interested?
    By Udog in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO