User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Holy crap, that's a-MAAAAA-zing. Doooood. Box jumps kill me, but they are great training.
    Definitely is! I like training for functional things. Makes you feel like a boss. I'm spazzing out in this video though because I'm nervous/wired because I kinda sorta thought I was going to miss and smash the hell out of my face.

I think you would love it. It's designed to be high intensity because that way it benefits you the most in the most efficient way, but that's why they always have trainers there watching you closely, and why it's expensive. It's also why you have to start out in the beginner class, where they teach you proper technique, and watch you extra closely.

They don't want anyone to get injured, and they will make you adjust the workout specially suited for you to make sure that you don't get injured. Like for me, I'm much better than when I started with squats (was pretty pathetic), but I still can't do it properly. So the trainer doesn't allow me to use much weight in overhead squats, they just want me to focus on technique until I get it right. Then when I'm ready, I can start adding a bit of weight to the bar. With other exercises, I can add a reasonable amount of weight and sometimes even the prescribed workout weight, but overhead squats are my next big frontier.

Edit: They also make you do "DROM" - Dynamic something something Movement to warm up your joints as part of the warm up. This is also important to prevent injury.

The other thing I like about it is that I feel a lot more motivated when others are doing the same intense workout at the same time. Since it is expensive, I might eventually just join a regular gym with the right equipment and get the WODs for free from the internet, but it is much more fun and more motivating to do it as part of a class. If you plan to do it that way, though, it's best to join for long enough to make sure you have the correct technique down for each of the standard moves, which there are a lot of.

My old crossfit gym has a library of videos showing proper technique for each move:
    http://www.paradisocrossfit.com

(This is a great gym located in the Marina del Rey, near where I used to work. I only left because it's now too far from me to be practical. Sometimes their WODs are the same as my current gym, sometimes completely different, and sometimes offset by a day or two. Today their WOD was the same.)
    Yeah, I just keep convincing myself out of it. I don't think the cost is bad at all, it's better than personal training rates and that's close to what it is, and there's a good gym with a good crew very close by. Maybe I'll try out the beginner class in October and see how it goes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Definitely is! I like training for functional things. Makes you feel like a boss. I'm spazzing out in this video though because I'm nervous/wired because I kinda sorta thought I was going to miss and smash the hell out of my face.
    Whoa, it's almost up to your chest! Jeeeeeezus!

Yeah, I just keep convincing myself out of it. I don't think the cost is bad at all, it's better than personal training rates and that's close to what it is, and there's a good gym with a good crew very close by. Maybe I'll try out the beginner class in October and see how it goes.
    Let me know how you like it if you do! Since you've been doing some of this stuff already and are already quite fit, you'll probably move on to the regular class pretty quickly and won't need to scale much if at all. For you, it's just a matter of learning proper technique for each of the moves, and then maybe flexibility issues if you have any (most people do at first). They usually make everyone do beginner class for at least a month, though, to make sure you learn the techniques.

Cool I wonder where I can find some of those classes. I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    I actually have a more even energy level when I work out regularly.

As for the tiredness quotient (I am sometimes a useless cuddly ball of sleep after working out) I compensate by exercising in the evening.
    Yes me too exactly. Me, after working out:
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Cool I wonder where I can find some of those classes. I'm intrigued.

Yes me too exactly. Me, after working out:
    If you're talking about crossfit, try Googling crossfit + your city name, and see what comes up. It's growing pretty rapidly, so if you're in a city, there is likely a crossfit gym somewhere nearby. They usually offer free intro classes once a week for people who want to try it out to see if they might be interested in joining. Good luck!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Oh. My. God.

This is extreme.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Oh. My. God.

This is extreme.
    Yes, Jock appears to be a crazy mofo.

The box jumps I do are on boxes that are just a bit higher than my knees. When I first started crossfit, I used to use boxes that were about midway up my shins.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Yes, Jock appears to be a crazy mofo.

The box jumps I do are on boxes that are just a bit higher than my knees. When I first started crossfit, I used to use boxes that were about midway up my shins.
    On the bright side, if he missed, his beard might cushion a blow to the chin!

I want to do box jumps now, but it seems like it might be a really dumb thing. I'm not sure. What are the advantages?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Enneagram
    9w8

Wheeeee

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Yeah. Which thread do you update to?

Anyway. I did 45 minutes 375 calories on the elliptical today.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    On the bright side, if he missed, his beard might cushion a blow to the chin!

I want to do box jumps now, but it seems like it might be a really dumb thing. I'm not sure. What are the advantages?
    My mane of hair extends and I parachute safely to the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I did chest and back. 10-9-8...2-1 Incline bench, deadlift, pullup, and decline pushups.

Now I'm stuffing my face with a whole foods salad with grilled chicken and a scoop of BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC AND CHEESE! I love that place.

Enneagram
    9w8

Now I'm stuffing my face with a whole foods salad with grilled chicken and a scoop of BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC AND CHEESE! I love that place.
    Curry chicken salad, that salad with the spiced nuts and cranberries, lime-basil tofu with broccoli, or the salad bar, Ooo, and they have this wild rice mixture and the-*clamps own mouth shut*

New Seasons has a better bakery and weirdly miscellaneous meat department, but Whole Foods has the deli and fresh pizza/salad sections down.