User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Wow, has this subforum really been around since August 25, and I'm just now noticing!? FAIL. I'll join if there's still time; otherwise, I'll just be a semi-participant, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wait..so what's going on?

Did I make the cut off??

DAMN IT.

Does my earlier post count as a placeholder?

Bah, I'd do it anyways for motivation even if I don't get that awesome prize.

Goals: drop 7%-10% body fat + maintain or increase lean body mass = drop ~18 lbs

That's my extreme ideal and it will be much easier to hit -5% and -10lbs but dammit I HAVE GOALS.

I want my green name...or not...I like the authority the blue bestows on me.

HWAHWAHWAHWA.

OMG, oh and I did another back to back class today. I've done a fitness class every day this week. Tonight it was step aerobics + pilates reformer. I thought I was gonna pass out near the end. AWESOME.

Also, I did mention I am now down 2 molars right? It makes it a challenge to eat.

So yeah, I am TOOOOTALLY gonna win this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Oh crap I'm too late, aren't I?

Just post your goals and start working on them ASAP, ne? I can include ye in the contest portion if you get them up by the end of the week and begin some kind of regular updates/workouts this week.

P.S. Please include a target for number of workouts per week, should you wish to participate in the contest challenge itself.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

OK, I'm going to do measurements but keep them to myself cuz otherwise you guys will all know I'm not 36-24-36. (But seriously, who is?? If you are, I don't want to hear about it. :P)

So anyway, I made it to the 6 am CrossFit class this morning, and it was awesome!!

Today's WOD (workout of the day)
    5 rounds for time: run 400 m, 15 overhead squats
    I finished the 5 rounds in 16:04. It was just me & 2 guys, and we all finished within 10 seconds of each other. I finished 2nd, not that it matters.

However, my workout was easier than theirs. I still suck at squats (especially overhead) because of flexibility issues, but I'm getting significantly better, yay!!! I focused on technique today, which means using a super light weight, so I used the 15lb bar only with no weights. So as a weight workout mine was pretty much a joke, but I'm happy that I seemed to improve my technique, even just within today's session, yay. I actually felt it get easier as the workout went on, good news.

Earlier in the week, I did the Monday noon CrossFit workout, which was long and hard. It was 5 rounds for time, each round: 40 double-unders, 30 box jumps, 20 kettlebell swings. I finished in 24:59, so averaged 5 min per round, faster at first, slower at the end. Box jumps kill me. I used the 24" high box, I think, and the 25lb kettlebell.

Tues & Wed I did my easy light workout of running stairs (500 steps Tues, 1000 steps Wed, count up and back down as one step), and my timed workout of 5 rounds, each round: 15 pushups, 20 "back-ups", 20 situps, 10 chair dips.

I'll do my third CrossFit workout of the week Sat morning.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    You three. Just post your goals and start working on them ASAP, ne?
    I already did >_<

P.S. Please include a target for number of workouts per week, should you wish to participate in the contest challenge itself.
    Um...4x a week minimum (though in typical EP fashion I will aim for more).
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8

I already did >_<

Um...4x a week minimum (though in typical EP fashion I will aim for more).
    Yes, I saw yours in that post - I was speaking overall to all of you who were unsure of making the cutoff date and all that jazz. Ye are doing everything perfectly, with goals posted and workout updates. No worries, ne?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    OK, I'm going to do measurements but keep them to myself cuz otherwise you guys will all know I'm not 36-24-36. (But seriously, who is?? If you are, I don't want to hear about it. :P)

So anyway, I made it to the 6 am CrossFit class this morning, and it was awesome!!

Today's WOD (workout of the day)
    5 rounds for time: run 400 m, 15 overhead squats
    I finished the 5 rounds in 16:04. It was just me & 2 guys, and we all finished within 10 seconds of each other. I finished 2nd, not that it matters.

However, my workout was easier than theirs. I still suck at squats (especially overhead) because of flexibility issues, but I'm getting significantly better, yay!!! I focused on technique today, which means using a super light weight, so I used the 15lb bar only with no weights. So as a weight workout mine was pretty much a joke, but I'm happy that I seemed to improve my technique, even just within today's session, yay. I actually felt it get easier as the workout went on, good news.

Earlier in the week, I did the Monday noon CrossFit workout, which was long and hard. It was 5 rounds for time, each round: 40 double-unders, 30 box jumps, 20 kettlebell swings. I finished in 24:59, so averaged 5 min per round, faster at first, slower at the end. Box jumps kill me. I used the 24" high box, I think, and the 25lb kettlebell.

Tues & Wed I did my easy light workout of running stairs (500 steps Tues, 1000 steps Wed, count up and back down as one step), and my timed workout of 5 rounds, each round: 15 pushups, 20 "back-ups", 20 situps, 10 chair dips.

I'll do my third CrossFit workout of the week Sat morning.
    I like doing box jumps for height/power. Hate them for cardio, they kick my ass. I use a 30" box and stack 45lb plates. I just like jumping.

My cousin does crossfit and I've always considered joining because she loves it so much, but my joints are so terrible I'm positive I'd get injured doing the prescribed stuff. I tweak a lot of mine to protect my weak shoulder joints.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Yes, I saw yours in that post - I was speaking overall to all of you who were unsure of making the cutoff date and all that jazz. Ye are doing everything perfectly, with goals posted and workout updates. No worries, ne?
    Ne.

Kekekeke.

BTW, I wanna hear from people how their *moods* and energy levels overall are being effected. Because in general lots of working out makes me want to sleep a lot and then I fluctuate from feeling very good and in high spirits to extremely cranky. Like right now - but I think it's because I'm becoming more caffeine dependent to match the energy level needed for the elevated exercise level. I need my AM coffee. >_<
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I like doing box jumps for height/power. Hate them for cardio, they kick my ass. I use a 30" box and stack 45lb plates. I just like jumping.
    Holy crap, that's a-MAAAAA-zing. Doooood. Box jumps kill me, but they are great training.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    My cousin does crossfit and I've always considered joining because she loves it so much, but my joints are so terrible I'm positive I'd get injured doing the prescribed stuff. I tweak a lot of mine to protect my weak shoulder joints.
    I think you would love it. It's designed to be high intensity because that way it benefits you the most in the most efficient way, but that's why they always have trainers there watching you closely, and why it's expensive. It's also why you have to start out in the beginner class, where they teach you proper technique, and watch you extra closely.

They don't want anyone to get injured, and they will make you adjust the workout specially suited for you to make sure that you don't get injured. Like for me, I'm much better than when I started with squats (was pretty pathetic), but I still can't do it properly. So the trainer doesn't allow me to use much weight in overhead squats, they just want me to focus on technique until I get it right. Then when I'm ready, I can start adding a bit of weight to the bar. With other exercises, I can add a reasonable amount of weight and sometimes even the prescribed workout weight, but overhead squats are my next big frontier.

Edit: They also make you do "DROM" - Dynamic something something Movement Range of Motion to warm up your joints as part of the warm up. This is also important to prevent injury.

The other thing I like about it is that I feel a lot more motivated when others are doing the same intense workout at the same time. Since it is expensive, I might eventually just join a regular gym with the right equipment and get the WODs for free from the internet, but it is much more fun and more motivating to do it as part of a class. If you plan to do it that way, though, it's best to join for long enough to make sure you have the correct technique down for each of the standard moves, which there are a lot of.

My old crossfit gym has a library of videos showing proper technique for each move:
    http://www.paradisocrossfit.com

(This is a great gym located in the Marina del Rey, near where I used to work. I only left because it's now too far from me to be practical. Sometimes their WODs are the same as my current gym, sometimes completely different, and sometimes offset by a day or two. Today their WOD was the same.)

Enneagram
    9w8

Ne.

Kekekeke.

BTW, I wanna hear from people how their *moods* and energy levels overall are being effected. Because in general lots of working out makes me want to sleep a lot and then I fluctuate from feeling very good and in high spirits to extremely cranky. Like right now - but I think it's because I'm becoming more caffeine dependent to match the energy level needed for the elevated exercise level. I need my AM coffee. >_<
    I actually have a more even energy level when I work out regularly.

As for the tiredness quotient (I am sometimes a useless cuddly ball of sleep after working out) I compensate by exercising in the evening.

I enjoy being part of the evening crew at the gym who all have 2 AM shadows (at ten o'clock in the evening), look vaguely growly and are more likely to punch someone in the face early in the morning than greet them perkily. Actually, that's what I miss about my old location the most.

Also, is anyone in particular trying to work out in the morning when it's something they normally have trouble with? I have a possible idea.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ While I won't be working out in the mornings often, I will need to do it some days. What's your idea?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Ne.

Kekekeke.

It definitely improves my mood immensely, gives me more energy, and I sleep better. In fact, I get by on less sleep when I work out regularly.

My hub commented more than once at how much "lighter" my mood is when I come back from a workout. I think I even inspired him to work out regularly, which is new for him. He's a typical professor type (INTJ) who mostly considers his body a vehicle for his brain. It was also great for preventing me from getting depressed over something that happened a few months ago.