User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Power Complex?

  1. #1
    Egad! No bondage! Obfuscate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    791

    Default Power Complex?

    Quote Originally Posted by awbro View Post
    I know 9's supposed to have a power complex or something but that just doesn't strike me as 9.
    is this a common thought? if so, in what way does this manifest? i never tell people what to do, so i find this odd.. i don't want to be in charge, i don't like it when i am, and i am struggling with finding a different interpretation... any thoughts (on this subject) are welcome...

    post script:

    i hate being told what to do also... maybe that is it?
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

    "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie
    Likes ~MS*ANGEL~, ESFJ, There liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member awbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    is this a common thought? if so, in what way does this manifest? i never tell people what to do, so i find this odd.. i don't want to be in charge, i don't like it when i am, and i am struggling with finding a different interpretation... any thoughts (on this subject) are welcome...

    post script:

    i hate being told what to do also... maybe that is it?
    I'm terrified of replying to this post because what I wrote was mostly a joke. I do know a bit about ennegram, but eventually personality type systems all blend together to form something called 'common sense' which is always good. (Personally, I'd prefer that method over fifty million different letter combinations in order to understand yourself.)

    What I know of nines, simply by reading the description, is that they're not all they say to be. If you say you're calm, you're most likely not calm. And where does your anger come from? A desire for power. And vice versa, so yeah ~~
    Problem Emotion: Anger
    Decision: Always being peaceful and not rocking the boat allows you to survive and be loved.
    I'm going off this. I had to do some research before I replied so I wouldn't look like an idiot, lol. Anger makes you a powerful person, but not in a good way. You'd be surprised how much hold anger can possess when it comes to people.

    Also this:
    Often the strong silent type, you have the power of patience, persistence and resistance. You see yourself as having stamina and take pride in your ability to endure. You tend to procrastinate and take longer than others to make up your mind. When you do make a decision, you are like an unstoppable elephant
    And just a combination of things I've read on other forums, in the ennegram type theory section. Don't yell at me.

    Enneagram type nine really just reminds me of the INFJ. Totally nice and serious, earnest and sweet, but willing to fucking kill you if you betray them. Peace comes with a price, is all I'm trying to say man.

    9 - Positive outlook. People like them and they never worry about anything.
    Also if this is how you were perceived, wouldn't you think a natural inclination toward 'power' would develop?
    Likes There, ESFJ liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member erg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    None
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni
    Posts
    300

    Default

    That sounds more like an 8 than a 9.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    755

    Default

    9s? Power complexes? Nah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i hate being told what to do also... maybe that is it?
    That's probably it. 9s at worst are viciously obstinate. Rock the boat, change something or present them with a scenario in which they have to make a choice, and they turn into real pills. The most stubborn I've seen a 9 is when one of them blew a fuse and started yelling at others to stop caring so much and then they could enjoy some peace of mind. It was a illuminating moment of projection of 9 fears.

    9s aren't power players. They don't push or shove, and don't want to be pushed or shoved.
    Likes yama, Hard, ~MS*ANGEL~, chubber, Sanjuro and 1 others liked this post

  5. #5
    Talk to me. Merced's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSE Si
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Eights: "I want the power."
    Nines: "Everyone but me should have the power."
    Ones: "I decide who gets the power."
    MBTI: Te = Ne > Se = Si > Ni = Fi > Fe > Ti
    Enneagram: 2w3 - 8w7 - 7w8 (The Humanitarian) | sx/so/sp
    Zodiac: Aries-Taurus Cusp Sun, Scorpio Moon, Scorpio Rising
    Holland Code: Enterprising > Social > Artistic = Conventional = Investigative > Realistic
    Temperaments: Sanguine = Choleric > Melancholic > Phlegmatic
    Potter House: Slytherin
    Social Media: Tumblr · Private Blog · Twitter
    Likes ThaumaturgicTheorist, Hard, erg liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    9s? Power complexes? Nah.



    That's probably it. 9s at worst are viciously obstinate. Rock the boat, change something or present them with a scenario in which they have to make a choice, and they turn into real pills. The most stubborn I've seen a 9 is when one of them blew a fuse and started yelling at others to stop caring so much and then they could enjoy some peace of mind. It was a illuminating moment of projection of 9 fears.

    9s aren't power players. They don't push or shove, and don't want to be pushed or shoved.
    I agree. Put a 9 on the same level as an 8 and see what the anger looks like. 9's have moments of no shit man, when they direct deep, seething, building over a period of time anger at someone who has it coming. And they almost always feel better after because to them, they see it as righteousness. Not the more healthy, less fearful action that it really is. Fuck harmony! But trying to get most of them to understand that is futile.

    8's see the same scenario as...a Tuesday.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Ursa liked this post

  7. #7
    Egad! No bondage! Obfuscate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by awbro View Post
    I'm terrified of replying to this post because what I wrote was mostly a joke. I do know a bit about ennegram, but eventually personality type systems all blend together to form something called 'common sense' which is always good. (Personally, I'd prefer that method over fifty million different letter combinations in order to understand yourself.)

    What I know of nines, simply by reading the description, is that they're not all they say to be. If you say you're calm, you're most likely not calm. And where does your anger come from? A desire for power. And vice versa, so yeah ~~


    I'm going off this. I had to do some research before I replied so I wouldn't look like an idiot, lol. Anger makes you a powerful person, but not in a good way. You'd be surprised how much hold anger can possess when it comes to people.

    Also this:

    And just a combination of things I've read on other forums, in the ennegram type theory section. Don't yell at me.

    Enneagram type nine really just reminds me of the INFJ. Totally nice and serious, earnest and sweet, but willing to fucking kill you if you betray them. Peace comes with a price, is all I'm trying to say man.


    Also if this is how you were perceived, wouldn't you think a natural inclination toward 'power' would develop?
    you can relax! =) there was no malice in my question... i was genuinely curious, and not insulted in the slightest... to be honest, i am happy someone responded because i really wasn't able to make heads or tails of that...

    when it comes to anger i tend to feel very little... once i do feel angry i tend to cut off communication until i feel more composed... when i am unable/unwilling to do that, i can blow up on someone in a very extreme manner... this happens once every 3-6 years (though not at all as a child)... i sometimes hold a grudge if an offense was particularly grievous, but in most cases i am able to find a way to either shoulder the blame or share it (this is an internal process)... the only thing that really gets me mad (automatically) is Knowing that someone is Trying to make me mad... it's a really stupid attitude to have (on my part); it gives them what they want... part of me thinks "what an asshole... there is no reason for this, they are just being a prick to be a prick"... it all sort of cascades from there... guilt trips from people i love can get under my skin if they won't let up... anyhow, i think that is all i can think of that really makes me mad...

    anyhow, thanks for taking the time to reply (and research)... i genuinely appreciate it =) ... i don't agree with your points (concerning myself at least), but you've given me things to research...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

    "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie
    Likes ~MS*ANGEL~ liked this post

  8. #8
    Egad! No bondage! Obfuscate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I agree. Put a 9 on the same level as an 8 and see what the anger looks like. 9's have moments of no shit man, when they direct deep, seething, building over a period of time anger at someone who has it coming. And they almost always feel better after because to them, they see it as righteousness. Not the more healthy, less fearful action that it really is. Fuck harmony! But trying to get most of them to understand that is futile.

    8's see the same scenario as...a Tuesday.
    that is a perfect description of my "incidents"...

    post script:

    i do feel guilty after, but rarely do i feel wrong...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

    "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie
    Likes ~MS*ANGEL~ liked this post

  9. #9
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    9s? Power complexes? Nah.

    That's probably it. 9s at worst are viciously obstinate. Rock the boat, change something or present them with a scenario in which they have to make a choice, and they turn into real pills. The most stubborn I've seen a 9 is when one of them blew a fuse and started yelling at others to stop caring so much and then they could enjoy some peace of mind. It was a illuminating moment of projection of 9 fears.

    9s aren't power players. They don't push or shove, and don't want to be pushed or shoved.
    This is why I don't relate to 9's at all, because this is the literal opposite of me .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes Video, Merced liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member awbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I just reply to notifications in chronological order (mostly) and I'd forgotten I'd posted here at all.

    I honestly don't care if you agree with me as long as what I said made logical sense and could be considered an argument, because for all my passion and opinion, what I say is never logical unless I make it so.

    Happy researching, sir (?? @ obfuscate).

    EDIT: Oh, you started this thread because of me? When I clicked to reply to this, I thought it was in the enneagram thread still! Eep, wow I feel special. Lol I'm embarrassed tho haha

Similar Threads

  1. I can control the world with the power of my mind...
    By The Ü™ in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
  2. Power of Thought
    By Metamorphosis in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
  4. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  5. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO