• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Power Complex?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
That's exactly it. 9's want to live in their own world, but that comes with a price. It's like a terrarium or a Tamagotchi toy. It's fun while it lasts, but if you can only keep peace within your inner self if x amount of these conditions are met, is it really peace at all? It's a false sense of security. If people like you (and you're 9) keep in mind they're probably just messing with you, which sounds dark but it's true. They like how pretty you are, in principle - you seem so normal and composed, perfect in some ways, and they want that. But they simultaneously know they can't have it (perfection can't exist!!!). 9's are the bubble floating in the wind. I'd say nines are the most insecure type. If you have to say to yourself as ritual that you are not insecure, you most definitely are.

I can relate, intensely, to the whole thing about living in one's own little world - I certainly do and always have.

As to the bold however - shit, that's terrifying. What can you do to fix it? Besides be another type? Or trigger the shit out of a basic fear and try to avoid all people?

You don't want to be controlled because you know you are good, too good to be true even, and you will do anything so as not to get that bubble popped.

Sorry, but this is absurd. I don't want to be controlled because I don't want to be hurt. Simple as that.

Well I keep my own secrets because I don't want to have anybody to have power over me, of course^^

I wish I could keep secrets: I completely agree with this, but I fear I've given that power has already been given for the sake of feeling connected, feeling real. It worries me, though it's too late to fix anything: even this post counts. I have no secrets online - IRL no one knows anything about me. Not sure how much that counts. The duality bothers me though.

skimpit

I can relate, intensely, to the whole thing about living in one's own little world - I certainly do and always have.

- - As to the bold however - shit, that's terrifying. What can you do to fix it? Besides be another type? Or trigger the shit out of a basic fear and try to avoid all people?

- - Sorry, but this is absurd. I don't want to be controlled because I don't want to be hurt. Simple as that.
I'll answer the second part first, as it caught my attention more than the other did. That's pretty much what I'm getting at, though I put it in a little more poetic manner than perhaps some were expecting. I did try to be clear, though haha. I never said that thinking you're too good to be true is a bad thing. It's like thinking you're a precious cinnamon roll, knowing it, and knowing what will come if someone damages that. I have a friend who does this well. She knows she's good, but she likes that because it's, well... good. I mean good as in the collective, poetic, epicish noun here. Good, as the concept. I.e., the good in people or smth. She thinks she's fighting a war between good and evil, and it's all very intense. It's very interesting to watch, and what's interesting about her is because she's so quiet, you wouldn't know any of that. So it truly is a battle of good and evil - normally you can't see the two, as they're concepts.

If you knew you were a dove, would you try to exercise a bit of self-care or would you flaunt yourself for all the predators around? It's a bit like that.

Now to this:
ThaumaturgicTheorist said:

As to the bold however - shit, that's terrifying. What can you do to fix it? Besides be another type? Or trigger the shit out of a basic fear and try to avoid all people?

Ah, well, as I don't know what fear we're talking about I can't really tell you. I can easily see a type like the nine being flipped around so it isn't afraid of itself, because a nine is all fear if you get down to it. (Now that I think about it, I don't like Enneagram purely for the fact that it lays a person out by their fears and strings them up for all to see - all MBTI does is vague about it and make you interpret it, which is how actual fears are.)

I wouldn't avoid all people, because that seems absurd. Why do that? You're going to be miserable without people, even if you think you can live without their company. I say, if it's this particular fear where it's so deep and nearly you, you have to turn it into a weapon. Let the connotations of that word be up to your discretion.

Well I keep my own secrets because I don't want to have anybody to have power over me, of course^^ Maybe trust issues as well, I dunno. I have a very curious mom with little respect for boundaries so of course I became a little more secretive than is probably healthy. I like my privacy^^

This I understand well, because my mom is the same way. Only, ironically I have a degree of nosiness to me so we buck heads often.
Funny thing is, once you established that baseline niceness, you can mock basically anyone without consequences because they'll think you're just joking.
Flip side is, nobody takes you seriously any more if you're dissatisfied and actually want to do something about it.
Well, I don't know if that's nice. That was what I was getting at really. If you're using niceness as a means to an end (and I mean in a traditional sense), then is it really nice? This I ask myself every day, but the conclusion I've come to is no haha
Why does me being projected on make me better at projecting myself?
I mean, not saying it can't be true, but I just don't see a relation there at the moment.

It's a bit of a contradiction, but hard to explain. Let's see, let me try this. I read some of your previous comments and chose to reply to this first, so let's use that blank canvas you mentioned. Is the canvas really blank? Or did someone use invisible ink to paint it? If so, then everyone around you will want to paint that canvas (ex. projecting on you, right) and once they do, they'll cover up the previously done work. But they can't change the fact that it was painted on. They just don't know it was, or can't fathom it could be. But you, as the canvas know who painted you - your friends, family, yourself perhaps - and you know your role well. It's to be a canvas. And canvases are meant for painting, however you've been painted on already, so what's there left to do? Are you a painting, a canvas - both?? You obviously swing to canvas, because you're curious about yourself even if you seem blank. At this point I'm tired of explaining the metaphor, so just look up the blank-flanks of MLP; the Cutie Mark Crusaders should serve you well.

If we knew we are so good, would we really have those insecurity issues?

I direct you to another painting metaphor, though it isn't related to the above. Regina Spektor, her song "Rowboats", might explain this. There's a lot of meaning to the phrase - 'too good to be true.' ^^;

Gone

If you knew you were a dove, would you try to exercise a bit of self-care or would you flaunt yourself for all the predators around? It's a bit like that.

Would you stop caring for yourself if you knew you were the bastard kid of a tiger and a rhinozeros instead of a dove? Admittedly, that would be totally badass, but I think such creatures would want to live, too, and would not want to attract the attention of bigger fish.

Well, I don't know if that's nice. That was what I was getting at really. If you're using niceness as a means to an end (and I mean in a traditional sense), then is it really nice? This I ask myself every day, but the conclusion I've come to is no haha

Of course it's not :D
Don't get me wrong, I'm not intentionally "befriending" people I don't like just to mock them afterwards. I just noticed that when I start messing with people who annoy me, they're often like "haha no she can't be serious she's too nice for that". I just usually let them believe that :shrug:

It's a bit of a contradiction, but hard to explain. Let's see, let me try this. I read some of your previous comments and chose to reply to this first, so let's use that blank canvas you mentioned. Is the canvas really blank? Or did someone use invisible ink to paint it? If so, then everyone around you will want to paint that canvas (ex. projecting on you, right) and once they do, they'll cover up the previously done work. But they can't change the fact that it was painted on. They just don't know it was, or can't fathom it could be. But you, as the canvas know who painted you - your friends, family, yourself perhaps - and you know your role well. It's to be a canvas. And canvases are meant for painting, however you've been painted on already, so what's there left to do? Are you a painting, a canvas - both?? You obviously swing to canvas, because you're curious about yourself even if you seem blank. At this point I'm tired of explaining the metaphor, so just look up the blank-flanks of MLP; the Cutie Mark Crusaders should serve you well.

I had to think a little about that. Interesting. And never thought about comparing it to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, this is fascinating. I can see that. Thanks for your explanation.

I direct you to another painting metaphor, though it isn't related to the above. Regina Spektor, her song "Rowboats", might explain this. There's a lot of meaning to the phrase - 'too good to be true.' ^^;

Thank you for this song. It's beautiful. And I see what you're aiming at. I don't know if it translates all that well into reality (I definitely feel less than special, and [MENTION=27762]ThaumaturgicTheorist[/MENTION] seems to share that sentiment, I don't know about other 9s), but in theory... well there is a certain logic behind it^^

skimpit

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intentionally "befriending" people I don't like just to mock them afterwards. I just noticed that when I start messing with people who annoy me, they're often like "haha no she can't be serious she's too nice for that". I just usually let them believe that
I understand. It's just usually better to be upfront. Even if you have secrets, know one's going to know unless you tell them. No one assumes you have secrets upon the first meeting, right? So just don't act like you do. ;)

What I'm trying to say is that niceness can be used to abuse people. And you might think that odd, but it's true. Nice people are known for facades, and it's very true that a nice person is rare. In English, 'nice' has a variety of meanings, most of the time meaning 'just generally pleasant, not great' which isn't the best outlook for someone who wants to be nice in their core. Y'know??

Would you stop caring for yourself if you knew you were the bastard kid of a tiger and a rhinozeros instead of a dove? Admittedly, that would be totally badass, but I think such creatures would want to live, too, and would not want to attract the attention of bigger fish.

You're close to what I was saying. I think they wouldn't stop caring for themselves, but rather they'd just stop caring for themselves. As in, "I don't care to go for a drive with you," or "I don't care for ice-cream today." They'd get sick of themselves is what I'm saying. Ideally, they'd protect themselves from harm, even that which could come from themselves.