• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Enthusiast MBTI Variations

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey my Enthusiastic friends, I have recently been struck with specific curiosity as to how 7's vary by MBTI differences. Let's be real, I know enough about instincts, and don't believe tritype is valid, so would you 7's share about "what kind of 7" your MBTI makes you? How do your functions affect or color the 7 motivations, or stress patterns? What differences do you see between yourself and other 7's of different MBTI types?

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I'll bite.

The biggest difference I've noticed exists between two very popular stereotypes: the scattered, gregarious, social butterfly 7, and the instant-gratification, pleasure-seeking, party animal 7. There are plenty of grains of truth in both, but the descriptions I've stumbled into over the years typically depicted one or the other without, interestingly enough, a ton of overlap between them. Kinda seemed like the authors must have known more Sevens of one flavor, and thus walked away with the impression that we're all like that. Anyway, these two blueprints generally correspond to what I've come to think of as the Ne 7 and the Se 7, respectively.

Many of the Sevens I've known in person have demonstrated more of that Ne dimension. They're very friendly, very playful, very much full of ideas and "We should totally do this sometime!" Their attentions are more easily flipped around when they see someone else they recognize enter the room (which sucks sometimes, because I might really be enjoying our conversation and I don't want it to stop, or have to share it with someone else). There's an almost airy quality to them, more of a social aspect - though that could well be because they're so much fun, people tend to love them almost by default. Their energies can be so infectious, but they're harder to get a hold of. If going out as a group, be prepared for sudden changes of plans or additional, surprise guests. An evening with an Ne 7 may well turn into an adventure, as long as you're open to going wherever your whims take you; they're usually excellent companions if you're in the mood for something novel. Less extroverted versions exist, too, but there's always an openness, a curious, playful, idea-sharing magic that I love.

Then there's the Se 7, whose methods of distraction tend to be a bit more literal. Substances, travels, things; sensory pleasures of every sort. Socialization patterns seem to shift, too. Instead of flitting from one person to the next, they're running from one experience to the next - if you happen to be along for the ride, then great, but there's a selfish component that takes precedence in varying degrees. More of an "I'm going here, come have fun with me!" attitude with regard to activities. They kind of throw themselves into the world, living in the present and eating up/savoring as much of it as they can. In that regard the Se 7 becomes a more concrete representation of the whole gluttony fixation concept. Not to suggest that Se-flavored Sevens aren't people who entertain ideas and possibilities as much - they certainly can and do. It's just that their need for distraction often ends up satisfying itself in physical things outside of themselves. The personalities of both types of Seven sort of "shine" to me, but in different ways; if the Ne 7 has a glitter or bokeh feeling to them, then the Se 7 seems more chrome, like something sharp. There's a bit of an edge to them, just a little less warmth.

I could easily see how the Se dimension of 7 would lend itself to an 8-wing, but as it stands, I've got a 6-wing (pretty sure). My boyfriend is a 7w8 though, definitely another Se type.

The above separations are my own personal theories, and I don't mean to over-generalize or simplify anything. Tendencies can occur in the same person, with plenty of overlap. These are just the main threads I've noticed.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Okay, I'll bite.

The biggest difference I've noticed exists between two very popular stereotypes: the scattered, gregarious, social butterfly 7, and the instant-gratification, pleasure-seeking, party animal 7. There are plenty of grains of truth in both, but the descriptions I've stumbled into over the years typically depicted one or the other without, interestingly enough, a ton of overlap between them. Kinda seemed like the authors must have known more Sevens of one flavor, and thus walked away with the impression that we're all like that. Anyway, these two blueprints generally correspond to what I've come to think of as the Ne 7 and the Se 7, respectively.

Many of the Sevens I've known in person have demonstrated more of that Ne dimension. They're very friendly, very playful, very much full of ideas and "We should totally do this sometime!" Their attentions are more easily flipped around when they see someone else they recognize enter the room (which sucks sometimes, because I might really be enjoying our conversation and I don't want it to stop, or have to share it with someone else). There's an almost airy quality to them, more of a social aspect - though that could well be because they're so much fun, people tend to love them almost by default. Their energies can be so infectious, but they're harder to get a hold of. If going out as a group, be prepared for sudden changes of plans or additional, surprise guests. An evening with an Ne 7 may well turn into an adventure, as long as you're open to going wherever your whims take you; they're usually excellent companions if you're in the mood for something novel. Less extroverted versions exist, too, but there's always an openness, a curious, playful, idea-sharing magic that I love.

Then there's the Se 7, whose methods of distraction tend to be a bit more literal. Substances, travels, things; sensory pleasures of every sort. Socialization patterns seem to shift, too. Instead of flitting from one person to the next, they're running from one experience to the next - if you happen to be along for the ride, then great, but there's a selfish component that takes precedence in varying degrees. More of an "I'm going here, come have fun with me!" attitude with regard to activities. They kind of throw themselves into the world, living in the present and eating up/savoring as much of it as they can. In that regard the Se 7 becomes a more concrete representation of the whole gluttony fixation concept. Not to suggest that Se-flavored Sevens aren't people who entertain ideas and possibilities as much - they certainly can and do. It's just that their need for distraction often ends up satisfying itself in physical things outside of themselves. The personalities of both types of Seven sort of "shine" to me, but in different ways; if the Ne 7 has a glitter or bokeh feeling to them, then the Se 7 seems more chrome, like something sharp. There's a bit of an edge to them, just a little less warmth.

I could easily see how the Se dimension of 7 would lend itself to an 8-wing, but as it stands, I've got a 6-wing (pretty sure). My boyfriend is a 7w8 though, definitely another Se type.

The above separations are my own personal theories, and I don't mean to over-generalize or simplify anything. Tendencies can occur in the same person, with plenty of overlap. These are just the main threads I've noticed.

I love the distinctions made here between the Ne 7s and the Se 7s. I've been looking into the varying ENFPs based on Enneagram typing, so it's interesting to do the same, but from the Enneagram perspective and seeing how 7s may differ based on, in this case, difference in function used.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I'll bite.

Woah, yeah! This response is way better than I was expecting, really fascinating way of putting it! Yes. I asked the question, looking at the variety of 7's in my life and really trying to understand these subtle differences that I feel amongst them. Of course, any two people of any type will have differences, but I've been thinking a lot about the 7's recently. Your thoughts are so spot on though, and really I should have thought of it-- it's just like Fi 4's and Ni 4's.

Really good stuff, thanks! :hifive: