123 Last

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Post INTP self typing as 9w5

why is 9w5 not accepted as a type? i feel quite sure that is the best description for me, though i can't find a description of 9w5...

any help from those more familiar with this system of typology is very much appreciated....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Because if you are a 9, you can only be a 9 with an 8 wing (9w8) or a 9 with a 1 wing (9w1) like me. The wings only relate to neighbouring numbers from 1-9 recurring.

You may relate to 5 and 5 may be the second or third number in your Tritype.

You may find it useful reading more about Enneagrams and Tritypes to find out more. There's resources on Wikipedia and the Wiki on this site which may help.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

i have settled on 9w1 sx/sp and 5/2/1

tests seem to give me a 50/50 split on 9 or 5

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Being a Ti dominant, it's not unusual to relate to e5 since your thinking patterns align somewhat with that type of emotional processing. Welcome to the forum!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Being a Ti dominant, it's not unusual to relate to e5 since your thinking patterns align somewhat with that type of emotional processing. Welcome to the forum!
    that sort of makes sense... oh, and thanks... nice to be here (so far)...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Like as said earlier, the concept of the wing was developed, as, well, a wing -- that the type on either side of your type on the enneagram wheel influences your behavior. So that's why nines can only be 9w1 or 9w8.

There's the popularized tritype theory where people pick one type from each of the three groupings (Head, Heart, Instinct) to identify themselves as. It seems pretty common for 5 and 9 to be in a grouping together -- along with Four, they are withdrawn (or "move away from") types so there are similarities in style.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes PeaceBaby liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Like as said earlier, the concept of the wing was developed, as, well, a wing -- that the type on either side of your type on the enneagram wheel influences your behavior. So that's why nines can only be 9w1 or 9w8.

There's the popularized tritype theory where people pick one type from each of the three groupings (Head, Heart, Instinct) to identify themselves as. It seems pretty common for 5 and 9 to be in a grouping together -- along with Four, they are withdrawn (or "move away from") types so there are similarities in style.
    i spent most of last night researching this and socionics... this is the sort of reply i was seeking at first, so thanks...

i feel like 9w1 sx/sp ennegram and 5/2/1 tritype fits well... the order of the numbers for the tritype seemed important, so i took that into account... is there any reason that you know of that those results aren't compatible with one another?
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    i spent most of last night researching this and socionics... this is the sort of reply i was seeking at first, so thanks...

i feel like 9w1 sx/sp ennegram and 5/2/1 tritype fits well... the order of the numbers for the tritype seemed important, so i took that into account... is there any reason that you know of that those results aren't compatible with one another?
    Well, it's a bit odd to see someone call themselves a Nine, but then put One as their "Gut" type in their tritype. (Why aren't you a 1w9 then? Or a 529? I see a lot of 529, versus 521...namely because of what I said before ... 5 and 9 are both withdrawing types, so there's an overlap there... but in 521 you have a moving away type, a moving towards type, and a moving against type... it seems inherently contradictory on some level, mayhaps... especially 5 vs 1 since you have a Thinker type who wants to step back and tends to let the data determine the values, but the 1 is a gut type with strong values that then determine how data gets used.)

But considering this is all kind of makeshift anyway, not sure how it's supposed to align.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Well, it's a bit odd to see someone call themselves a Nine, but then put One as their "Gut" type in their tritype. (Why aren't you a 1w9 then? Or a 529? I see a lot of 529, versus 521...namely because of what I said before ... 5 and 9 are both withdrawing types, so there's an overlap there... but in 521 you have a moving away type, a moving towards type, and a moving against type... it seems inherently contradictory on some level, mayhaps... especially 5 vs 1 since you have a Thinker type who wants to step back and tends to let the data determine the values, but the 1 is a gut type with strong values that then determine how data gets used.)

But considering this is all kind of makeshift anyway, not sure how it's supposed to align.

i guess because i use a 521 process because i want the results that a 9 seeks... i have for years treated my thought process as a machine that can be tinkered with... i.e. "emotions are damaging me? i'll shut them off for now"... i spend long periods of time analyzing myself for ways to improve myself, my thinking, and the lives of those around me... i know that my entire process happens because of 5... i know that the motivation for applying critical thinking are the goals of 9, 2, and 1 (in order of importance)... when i think critically, everything about 9 makes sense... i don't act like a 9 because it is natural, i act like a 9 because it is best... i think i only see 1 as important because of phrases like this: "Ones are not only aware of the flaws they see embedded in the very structure of reality, but also, by extension, of the flaws they see in others, and more importantly of those they find in themselves."... the reasons the flaw matter are because of things like this from 2 "Twos have a built in radar for what the other might need, and they see themselves as the correct person for satisfying that need." and these two from 9 "The central problem for Nines revolves around the fact that their desire to maintain peace and to avoid conflict is compulsive." "At a largely subconscious level, Nines intuitively grasp that the constructed personality, the personality with which most of us identify, is not the true self; it is not who they are. This is, in fact, a very deep truth; the constructed personality is simply that – a construct through which consciousness operates, much of it built out of defenses and reactions to dangers which are no longer present; it is, in a sense, both a limitation and an obscuration. But the constructed personality also serves a necessary function; it gives the individual a base from which to operate, a sense of self, however ultimately flawed and partial. While the constructed self is not ultimately who we are, it is a necessary step towards the development of true individuality."

when i was a child i was an extrovert... then there was trauma, and somehow i came out of that an intp (i have 0 doubts on intp)... i have read reports from many other intp's that this happened to them also... i think that naturally i would have been a 2, maybe a 251 if it wasn't for those events...

(i nearly said 259 if not for those events...)
    Last edited by Obfuscate; 08-23-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: forgot my quote....
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    Because if you are a 9, you can only be a 9 with an 8 wing (9w8) or a 9 with a 1 wing (9w1) like me. The wings only relate to neighbouring numbers from 1-9 recurring.

You may relate to 5 and 5 may be the second or third number in your Tritype.

You may find it useful reading more about Enneagrams and Tritypes to find out more. There's resources on Wikipedia and the Wiki on this site which may help.
    I always get 9, 5, 6, and 4....With 9 and 6 being the highest.

The enneagram is a subjective construct and like all subjective constructs, your mileage may vary.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan