User Tag List

12 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default E-6 with an 8 fix and 8 with a 6 fix

So forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but as a sub-discussion of the cp6/8 issue, I feel like 6's with an 8 fix would have a distinct quality to them. They would be 8ish in specific ways but retain their 6 differences. Similarly, 8's with a 6 fix would be have distinctive type related characteristics. So to pick the issue apart, how is a 6/8/X different from an 8/6/X? How is a 6/8/X different from a 6/9 or 1/X? How is an 8/6/X different from an 8/5 or 7/X? Does having an 8 fix make a 6 counter phobic? How strong is the correlation? What would a phobic 6 with an 8 fix look like?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

I'd start off with the fact that a 6 is in the head triad and an 8 is in the gut triad.

So in a very real way, a 6 is going to be overthinking things when they start going counterphobic on you. An 8 on the other hand is just going to be handing you raw rage without much of a basis behind it.

So to differentiate, I'd look for that overthinking vs underthinking dichotomy.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Masokissed, greenfairy, MDP2525, Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The only thing I really know about ennegram 6s is that I seem to get along with them really well and empathize with them to a great degree, probably because I'm 5w6 rather than 5w4. Otherwise, I need more clarity on what the enneagram type is all about. I think the phobic/counterphobic thing really throws me off.

I also admit to having some skepticism about the whole tritype thing. It's the kind of thing that would be lovely if it was true, but I'm not sure that it is.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    The only thing I really know about ennegram 6s is that I seem to get along with them really well and empathize with them to a great degree, probably because I'm 5w6 rather than 5w4. Otherwise, I need more clarity on what the enneagram type is all about. I think the phobic/counterphobic thing really throws me off.

I also admit to having some skepticism about the whole tritype thing. It's the kind of thing that would be lovely if it was true, but I'm not sure that it is.
    What seems improbable about tritype? To me it makes sense to have a preference in each center. We all use our heads, hearts, and guts after all. I don't think it's all due to integration and disintegration.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    What seems improbable about tritype? To me it makes sense to have a preference in each center. We all use our heads, hearts, and guts after all. I don't think it's all due to integration and disintegration.
    Maybe it's the separation between heart and gut. It's not really clear to me how they differ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Maybe it's the separation between heart and gut. It's not really clear to me how they differ.
    It maps to the nervous system very well: heart is the limbic system (emotions), and gut is the autonomous system (instinctive reactions). In terms of Enneagram, heart describes how we feel sad, and gut describes how we express anger. That might seem a bit weird, but anger is our self-defense mechanism, fight or flight. The head center is about fear, but really it describes anxiety, all the fears that arise from thinking about things too much, so it isn't the same kind of avoidance as in the gut center "flight". (And all the Enneagram types have a particular "fear", so the word isn't meaning exactly the same thing in all cases.)

So in short, head center is how we worry about things (cerebral cortex), heart center is our sadness/grief arising from the longing to connect with other people (limbic system), and the gut center is the anger that exists to defend us from attack or wrongdoing (autonomous "gut" system).

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes greenfairy, Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So forgive me if this has been asked a million times, but as a sub-discussion of the cp6/8 issue, I feel like 6's with an 8 fix would have a distinct quality to them. They would be 8ish in specific ways but retain their 6 differences. Similarly, 8's with a 6 fix would be have distinctive type related characteristics. So to pick the issue apart, how is a 6/8/X different from an 8/6/X? How is a 6/8/X different from a 6/9 or 1/X? How is an 8/6/X different from an 8/5 or 7/X? Does having an 8 fix make a 6 counter phobic? How strong is the correlation? What would a phobic 6 with an 8 fix look like?
    Do you mean like a x68 tritype? I'm going to take a wild guess here but those types are usually double reactive types. If it's a 468 tritype, a triple reactive one. So, they more than likely will be counterphobic. I may be wrong about that. But since 6 integrates to 9 (not 8), this would tell me that the person is....probably *unknowingly* a counterphobic 6 and not a phobic 6 at all. That is, if they are a type 6. I don't know enough about tritype to distinguish core type from the other two. At least, it doesn't seem like it does distinguish. It seems to me that tritype can explain core mistypes in the enneagram.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

From what I've read and observed, there is generally no need to distinguish core type from the other two. Two people with identical tritypes tend to be more alike than two individuals with the same primary type.

So the "main type" of the tritype is really whichever one needs the most development, in my opinion.

Likes MDP2525 liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

This conundrum is exactly why I believe tritype is total crap, and offers an excuse for people to not zero in on their core issues (intentionally or just as a side effect). The idea of tritype also tends to convolute the core foundations of the Enneagram, health patterns, etc. Not trying to troll, just offering a alternative solution to the OP. Most of the time, I find that the differences people attribute to tritype can actually easily be attributed to instinctual and wing differences.

Myself as an example: I would have an "8-fix" but Naranjo already calls Sx-4 "8-like" so I don't need tritype to understand that aspect of self. Just as an SP-8 would seem more "6-like" than it's SX and SO 8 brethren, due to their fixation with preservational (security) based things.

Just a thought.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes Masokissed, MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    This conundrum is exactly why I believe tritype is total crap, and offers an excuse for people to not zero in on their core issues (intentionally or just as a side effect). The idea of tritype also tends to convolute the core foundations of the Enneagram, health patterns, etc. Not trying to troll, just offering a alternative solution to the OP. Most of the time, I find that the differences people attribute to tritype can actually easily be attributed to instinctual and wing differences.

Myself as an example: I would have an "8-fix" but Naranjo already calls Sx-4 "8-like" so I don't need tritype to understand that aspect of self. Just as an SP-8 would seem more "6-like" than it's SX and SO 8 brethren, due to their fixation with preservational (security) based things.

Just a thought.
    I don't think tritype is "necessary". I consider Enneagram and its variations as a framework that lets me map out otherwise extremely abstract ideas.

The main virtue of tritype is that I think it helps emphasize those three main "cores" of the psyche. It was in part the concept of tritype that helped me settle on my being a type 9, because none of the types the tests identified me as were "next to each other". There was no obvious "wing" or anything like that. The tritype test revealed me as 953, and that was the only Enneagram result that I ever identified with.

Can it be abused? Yep. I especially have a problem with using wings and tritypes: if you're doing that, you should just identify the three types that you are NOT. :p

But on the whole I think it helps identify type for those who are otherwise having issues. Given a choice of 3 types in each center, it's fairly easy to pinpoint which of the three is closest to you. Once you have a tritype, it's just a matter of weighing things between the three to figure out your main one. For my part, it helped me explore Enneagram more thoroughly, especially with people just typing me as "5w6" and my not identifying with that type at all except for very superficial descriptions.