• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Differences between 1s and 8s

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since I had some time to think things through ...

Not so long ago I had a thread that says that all of the type profiles in typology are biased towards America or at least 1th world. In other words what bothers me is what happens if environment is not so structured/linear. Very recently I said in another thread that I was hidding from military air strikes as a child ... since I was hidding from airstrikes as a child. However by the reaction of others I have a feeling that I said something that is over the line. It wasn't bad thing to say, it was just over the line in a certain social sense, while to me this is normal and all people of my age around me went through the same thing. What opens the whole new horrizon in typology because in deveoloped world 1s mostly just have to keep the system in place and make sure that everything is as it should be. However if that is not the case 1 first has to make sure that there is a system he and others have to maintain, what is quite a task. Not to mention that this will probably provoke opposition that has to be defeated in order that vision will come to life. However that probably wouldn't be possible if 1 doesn't apply pretty 8ish way of doing things.

Also you have a different paradox. Before war turned large part of my country into rubble my country was Communist. In other words all houses, flats, factories, schools, companies, healthcare provides, food makers etc. were owned 100% by the government. What creates a problem because in such environment 8s shouldn't exist because this evironment is 100% representation of their basic fears. However I think that there where 8s in such society, but they were defined somewhat differently.

In other words with radically different context the whole system of typology can simply brake. Therefore for me it is pretty hard to see the clear difference between 1 and 8.

I came to peace with idea that Americanization is blocking me from typing properly.
I am INTJ and technical expert tritype but I am not 5w6 but 1w9. 1w9 often mistypes as 5w6 and when you add 5w6 and 3w4 fixes on INTJness it becomes inevitable that you mistype. Especially since e1 profiles are very biased towards American culture and I have almost nothing with American culture, since I live on the other side of the globe. All these "this church that church", constitution worshiping and free market things just doesn't apply to me, especially since I am from the place most Americans would rate as "quite different". Silly example is that I am older than my country and therefore when I was growing up I didn't even have defined gramatical rules ... and exactly this kind of undefined sitations are what made e1, since the nation started to build the country basically from scratch. Plus I was rised by 3 head types and head based education system, so this approach is what I see as "proper approach", even if this isn't who I am fundamentally.

Integration is basically finding what you missed in your childhood and for me that isn't 8ness in interaction with the world since I am pretty spartan like. Instead of that it is much more of a 7ish sense of fun and joy. Therefore my motivations are closer to 1w9 than 5w6 and the main difference is in deliberations. Also I am not really inventor like stereotypical 5s, instead I am more of a deployer of technology/knowlege, teacher and knowledge advocate. For years I have pushed very aggressive fixes on my e5 core but it is just not enough since I am genuinely pushy, questioning and demanding. Also I scored as an 8 a number of times but I just don't see myself as an 8, I can be 8ish in methodology but my reasoning is almost never 8 like. (and reasoning is what counts the most in enneagram)

Actually this sounds a lot like me. (for better of for worse)

153 - The Meticulous Expert. Introverted, meticulous and objective. Uses scientific methods, deliver impeccable work, but fear they do not have enough resources. 1w9, SO, SP. Usually introverted and elitist, prefer the scientific approach in nearly everything they do. These Ones appear colder and very self-certain but can be rather sensitive and fearful on the inside. Are afraid of failure and not meeting the expectations of others, mainly because they think they do not have enough resources for all their projects. They are hard-working, thorough and very meticulous and their work is usually impeccable. These Ones are particularly intellectual, knowledgeable and objective. Cerebral, scientific, meticulous and objective

Also regarding the whole "following the rules" thing the profiles said it pretty nicely:

135s gets overloaded with competency issues and comes out becoming too rigid, too logical for humanitarian work -- people seem too chaotic, 1-3-5's know their own abilities and studies best, so they stick with those. They aren't "by the book" but would rather write the book themselves.

Also let's be honest, this isn't the score of someone who should be primarly be defined as "observer".

There is no point in denying the obvious just because some profile writers don't get your unorthodox life path.