• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Differences between 1s and 8s

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
8s are cool.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Great topic, and great info here!

A great description that I have read, is of 1s being called "8's in chains". The chains are morality, justice, righteousness, that tend to keep the anger contained in Reformers... until they boil over, that is. ;)

8's are not chained at all by a sense of morality, decorum or "correctness", so their anger is much quicker to be expressed and done with. Because of this, they tend not to be passive aggressive at all, where 1's usually are (b/c they are trying to maintain a "right" disposition).

Anger is the theme with all three gut types: 1's try to keep the lid on and boil over in spurts, 9's supress entirely (the only glimpse is stubbornness, like a boulder in a stream), and 8's express anger without any holds barred-- destructively and shamelessly.

Can't lie, gut types are my favorite. :heart:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Great topic, and great info here!

A great description that I have read, is of 1s being called "8's in chains". The chains are morality, justice, righteousness, that tend to keep the anger contained in Reformers... until they boil over, that is. ;)

8's are not chained at all by a sense of morality, decorum or "correctness", so their anger is much quicker to be expressed and done with. Because of this, they tend not to be passive aggressive at all, where 1's usually are (b/c they are trying to maintain a "right" disposition).

Anger is the theme with all three gut types: 1's try to keep the lid on and boil over in spurts, 9's supress entirely (the only glimpse is stubbornness, like a boulder in a stream), and 8's express anger without any holds barred-- destructively and shamelessly.

Can't lie, gut types are my favorite. :heart:

Perhaps, but is better to be chained by morality than being chained for real in jail because you don't have any morality. :wink:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps, but is better to be chained by morality than being chained for real in jail because you don't have any morality. :wink:

Not being chained by morality does not mean "immoral". It simply means that if I'm doing the right thing, it's not out of a fear of reproach or reprisal for doing otherwise. I'm doing it because I know it to be the correct thing to do. Most would consider that to be a higher form of moral reasoning, if not the highest. :wink:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Not being chained by morality does not mean "immoral". It simply means that if I'm doing the right thing, it's not out of a fear of reproach or reprisal for doing otherwise. I'm doing it because I know it to be the correct thing to do. Most would consider that to be a higher form of moral reasoning, if not the highest. :wink:

Except when the chains are too tight. That shit hurts yo!

Don't worry I was just joking. "Something" just forced me to type that. :D

However since this thread is active once again: When 1s and 8s are healthy is it realistic to presume that 1s are still observably more organized than 8s ?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
However since this thread is active once again: When 1s and 8s are healthy is it realistic to presume that 1s are still observably more organized than 8s ?

I would say yes.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know. I wouldn't say I'm all that organized. At least not in the way people seem to expect.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't know. I wouldn't say I'm all that organized. At least not in the way people seem to expect.

I would imagine in your case given you're a P (which is rather rare for 1's), that you're mentally very very organized. There will be some sort of meticulous order in pretty much all 1's, but it's not always externally obvious. I mean, my apartment is always some sort of a mess, and I am only really scrupulously organized with schedules, and internal stuff. Everything else is either not a concerned or an "order within the chaos" bit.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would imagine in your case given you're a P (which is rather rare for 1's), that you're mentally very very organized. There will be some sort of meticulous order in pretty much all 1's, but it's not always externally obvious. I mean, my apartment is always some sort of a mess, and I am only really scrupulously organized with schedules, and internal stuff. Everything else is either not a concerned or an "order within the chaos" bit.

I suppose so. I kind of rehearse concepts until there are very well memorized, and I organize ideas a lot, at least. In college I've tended to look carefully over the syllabi at the start of the semester and figure out out the schedule and calculate the course values of the assignments and so forth, and I found it relieved a lot anxiety.

Material goods are usually messy in my residence. The main way I try to keep organized in that regard is by not getting stuff, and eliminating as much stuff as I can. My favorite form of order is destruction.

á´…eparted

passages
I suppose so. I kind of rehearse concepts until there are very well memorized, and I organize ideas a lot, at least. In college I've tended to look carefully over the syllabi at the start of the semester and figure out out the schedule and calculate the course values of the assignments and so forth, and I found it relieved a lot anxiety.

Material goods are usually messy in my residence. The main way I try to keep organized in that regard is by not getting stuff, and eliminating as much stuff as I can. My favorite form of order is destruction.

I did the exact same thing as the bolded :laugh:. I still do that sort of thing other areas. I always read contracts page to page, which I found annoys people. Says a lot about what they think of their own contracts and people who read them :dry:.

I am not much of a minimalist though. I like having things, but my things need to have some sort of utility purpose. For better for worse I am one of those people that goes "ooh... SHINY!".

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
8 is anger expressed outwards, getting the goal is the total aim.
1 is about anger with the self, can lead to depression and suchlike.

á´…eparted

passages
8 is anger expressed outwards, getting the goal is the total aim.
1 is about anger with the self, can lead to depression and suchlike.

You're sort of right. It's been explained further back in the thread, but both types express anger outwardly. The difference is in how it's expressed and how it's felt. A key difference between them is 8's anger is quick to form, and evaporates quickly, and is also easy to let go of (usually). 1's is slower to form, and tends to persist for long periods of time, and is usually difficult to let go of (usually).

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're sort of right. It's been explained further back in the thread, but both types express anger outwardly. The difference is in how it's expressed and how it's felt. A key difference between them is 8's anger is quick to form, and evaporates quickly, and is also easy to let go of (usually). 1's is slower to form, and tends to persist for long periods of time, and is usually difficult to let go of (usually).

I have 8 in my tritype, and I find the judgmentalism in the anger of the 1 very tricky to understand...it feels like being on the receiving end of projection. When I'm angry it is about wanting something in particular, goal driven. Once the goal is achieved or discarded, the anger is gone.

For me showing anger is vulnerable, which most people just don't seem to get as an idea. It's not directed against others in any personal way at all...it's purely an expression of me and I'm showing a desire or a hurt, a want, a hole in my manufacturing...for me that's vulnerable - I am expressing that I want the other person or people to fix the hurt for me. Why else would I show it? Duh.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does this claim makes sense ?
I think it really depends on the person. But yeah, on a very shallow level - first impressions - the big difference between 8 and 1 is control and restraint. If 8s are more subdued, I can see there being a similarity. But again, it depends.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Is this e1 thing ? (do wings make a difference in odds that this happens ?)

You see people doing something you don't like but nothing directly bad or illegal. However you have a huge desire to intervene and stop this even if it is certain that this will create a mess and argument. Since you will be making direct intervetion and some people migh even be intimidated by your zeal. Therefore since you are aware of this you start to feel sorry for them and let them have their fun even if it inefficient, factually wrong or something like that. After all you are just going to alienate yourself and it is parhaps best to save the zest from situations when it really matters.

So in the end you end up avoiding people not to condem them or cut their world views to pieces. Since you see avoiding of people as an act of mercy.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1: perfectionists, they want to improve, when in anger they turn it to themselves, feeling they aren't doing enough.
8: judgmental, confrontational and angry. when in anger they just burst it, toward everything.

Norqs

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An 8 that pretends?

Never known an 8 to smile and pretend all is okay... always thought it was bloody evident when I was pissed off, the whole room knows there is something wrong even if I don't say a word, it kind of resonates off me. Also didn't think 8s were all that keen on pretence. Always thought we were a kind of what you see is what you get type of attitude.