• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] ISTP: 7, 8, 9?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
This has to do with both MBTI and Enneagram, so I just had to choose where to put this.

What are common E-types for the ISTP? I know one who has tested as 7w8, but I am not so sure. Aren't 7s usually flighty, extroverted, and optimistic? I think 8w7 and 8w9 are also plausible. 9w8 to a lesser extent.

I guess this is just a huge question of 7w8 vs 8w7 vs 8w9 vs 9w8. I know there is an 8 somewhere in this person, whether wing or core. What can help separate out these types?

All feedback is welcome--especially from ISTPs or any of the Enneagram types I've listed. :)

á´…eparted

passages
In my experience, 5, 8, and 9 are the most common for ISTP. 6 and 7 aren't unusual. 3 and 4 are rare. 1 and 2 are pretty much unheard of.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In my experience, 5, 8, and 9 are the most common for ISTP.

And specially, 5w6. I have a hard time seeing an ISTP with 4 influence. 9w8 over 9w1 too. And I'd say 7w8 is a lot more likely than 7w6, although a lot of cp6 ISTPs are attracted to the 7w8 label for some reason because they somehow translate it into fucking with people for fun or being badass like James Bond.

With 6 and 8 both wings work to an extent.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The following matches me alot. 9w8

In healthy persons of this subtype, the Eight-wing adds an element of inner strength and willpower, as well as an expansive, passionate quality to the overall style of the personality. Healthy Nines with an Eight-wing combine the comforting, positive qualities of the Nine with the endurance and strength of the Eight, resulting in a subtype at once powerful and gentle. Despite their unselfconsciousness, healthy people of this subtype are able to assert themselves effectively; despite their graciousness and concern for others, they can be quite strong and forceful; despite their ability to subordinate themselves to others and to common goals, they can be courageously independent; despite an easygoing manner, they can have formidable tempers, although these are rarely resorted to. Thus, healthy persons of this subtype give the impression of strength and good nature, sensuality, and power. The Nine with an Eight-wing wants to engage with people and things in the world more than the other subtype. They enjoy socializing, have a wonderfully dry sense of humor, and may have numerous skills, although they tend not ot promote themselves. They are concerned with their immediate needs and circumstances ,and more accepting of people as they are. Nines with an Eight-wing often enjoy the helping professions, consulting, sales, and services, and can be very effective in business, especially in negotiations or working in human resource capacities.

Minus social..actually I have been told I am very good socially, you just have to get me to open my mouth and chat. That's the only issue with my social, I don't always have a desire to say what I am thinking.

My favorite picture is a dragon bowing down to its master.in this terms I define who my master is and if I don't like them I walk away or eat them alive. I don't need anyone, but I do enjoy that one person who helps give me some sort of direction and drive. Without that I tend to wander more aimlessly because nothing really matters that much except for helping people. I give my money away freely, I give my time away freely, I give my stuff away freely, I don't care about any of that stuff.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The following matches me alot. 9w8

Minus social..actually I have been told I am very good socially, you just have to get me to open my mouth and chat. That's the only issue with my social, I don't always have a desire to say what I am thinking.

My favorite picture is a dragon bowing down to its master.in this terms I define who my master is and if I don't like them I walk away or eat them alive. I don't need anyone, but I do enjoy that one person who helps give me some sort of direction and drive. Without that I tend to wander more aimlessly because nothing really matters that much except for helping people. I give my money away freely, I give my time away freely, I give my stuff away freely, I don't care about any of that stuff.

I thought of you immediately when I read the OP. 9w8 I can agree with too, you're not a 7 with any wing.

I don't think 7's are necessarily flighty but they can be. They're enthusiasts so - enthusiastic, they like to wing it but I think they can make bad choices because they lack confidence. If they are a 7w8, confidence may not be as big of an issue. They have no idea how to say no, this is a hallmark I see in nearly all 7's. Lots of energy, always going. I can also see them being histrionic, materialistic, greedy, restless and exaggerated. I do think E/I plays a role here too, maybe more than it's given credit for. I don't know enough about the ISTP in question though.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought of you immediately when I read the OP. 9w8 I can agree with too, you're not a 7 with any wing.

I don't think 7's are necessarily flighty but they can be. They're enthusiasts so - enthusiastic, they like to wing it but I think they can make bad choices because they lack confidence. If they are a 7w8, confidence may not be as big of an issue. They have no idea how to say no, this is a hallmark I see in nearly all 7's. Lots of energy, always going. I can also see them being histrionic, materialistic, greedy, restless and exaggerated. I do think E/I plays a role here too, maybe more than it's given credit for. I don't know enough about the ISTP in question though.

9w8 is more then likely what allowed me to even be with my ex-wife. It drove her nuts that people saw me as coy and her running over me because she was naturaly pushy and I was naturally laid back. Almost no one saw my stubborn ass, strength and it drove her nuts for people to think she ran over me because she didnt.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And specially, 5w6. I have a hard time seeing an ISTP with 4 influence. 9w8 over 9w1 too. And I'd say 7w8 is a lot more likely than 7w6, although a lot of cp6 ISTPs are attracted to the 7w8 label for some reason because they somehow translate it into fucking with people for fun or being badass like James Bond.

With 6 and 8 both wings work to an extent.

Agreed. As a cp6, when I took the enneagram I got 8w7 or 7w8 primarily. Made me not trust the enneagram because I thought I was equal parts each and knew that couldn't be right.

It's just how the test is. It is deficient when it comes to filtering cp6's. No ulterior motives from the cp6 to choose a type for badass reasons tho. That's funny. Lol.

Re: OP: I would reckon ISTP 7's have very high Se respectively compared with the other functions. I think the Big 5 test would be a good comparison test for same type/different enneagram possibilities between type. Or at least, it would be cool to see side by side.