User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Type 4 - What is it good for......

absolutely nuthin....?
    My name is Sheree and I am a type four. Believe me I feel that way about my type.
    Maybe in a creative genius you might excuse it but having spent a lifetime trying to deal with emotional storms and inner tantrums.
    And very early on in my life before I got a whiff of the enneagram I realised that type one objectives and pure mental discipline was the answer.
    But that is pure hard work too and made Jill a very dull girl.
    So what is to be done? Can I live in my type and love it without being a creative genius.
    Can anyone suggest a worthwhile role model because when I read the type profile I just want to slap it's silly face.
    Likes chickpea, IndyGhost liked this post

Some of the strongest people I know of are 4s - that might have something to do with having to deal with those storms or it might be the reason they can; chicken/egg. I wonder if it wouldn't be brazen to consider 4 something like an introverted 8? Introverted in the Jungian sense; focusing on the internal whether it's their own inner world or the 'inner lives' of even abstract phenomena. Just the inner side of everything.

Strength (a quiet kind), courage, endurance, insight, all in an existential way. They have this way of inspiring those traits in others too ime.

I'll probably have to come back later and repost when I've thought of some who might qualify as role models in a general sense instead of just to me for personal reasons.
    Likes ShereeB liked this post

... The best I can come up with is Albert Camus (a philosopher, so not technically a creative genius),

and I'll have to be excused for putting up Haruki Murakami, who is a creative, but I'm suggesting him because he's been awarded the Jerusalem Prize for the Freedom of the Individual in Society. His writing isn't just romanticism for instance - he's addressed some worthwhile political themes in the reflective, existential typical-of-4 way.
    Likes ShereeB, KumikoKnew liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

The key for a 4 is to find some way of expressing these emotional storms, so that they can simultaneously have some relief and take pride in them. This could depend somewhat on the wing and fix. As stereotypical as this sounds, writing poetry and novels seem to be an ideal medium, because 4s are generally talented at verbalising/realising their emotional states. 4w5s could possibly explore this in more abstract ways - @Noon has hinted at a few.

In my experience from having E4 as my fix, it does not lend one to being particularly altruistic. I imagine the best way forward for a 4 would be to master something they are naturally good at (and everybody is good at something), claiming it as their own.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Writing, singing, and then commiting suicide after becoming world-famous

You could also get a gender studies degree and blame patriarchy whenever a privileged cis-hetero white male employer decides not to hire you

Choose wisely
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Or, you could be a badass:
    (I am sure everybody mentioned so far has also worked hard)

T.E. Lawrence

Yukio Mishima

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    641 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    ... The best I can come up with is Albert Camus (a philosopher, so not technically a creative genius).
    Huh? The Stranger is one of the most important novels of the 20th Century. But even if he hadn't been a novelist, to limit the idea of creative genius to the arts is...well...limiting.

In general, and in this context, it fuels the 4 fixation's desire for hidden/revealed outsider uniqueness.

Virginia Woolf? T.E. Lawrence? Mishima? Hardly role models for 'equanimity'. 'sup with the mythologizing, people?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    641 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Sheree, there are plenty of Fours in all different fields. I know a Four well who's a geologist.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@anastasiaromanova I was just countering Rasofy's stereotypes, and illustrating people who aren't completely immersed in the arts. :P I think it's safe to say that most famous 4's have a quality of legend, because that's the sort of schtick we sell. I'm a software engineer, and I'm quite happy, as long as I have the time to explore the other parts of life.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    641 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Oh, okay, got it. Good to know. Thanks.

Btw Mishima really saw his whole life as art, including and maybe especially the politics, dramatic end and all...the man was on fire...