• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Core Beliefs of 8s According to Beatrice Chestnut

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- "In a tough world, you need to be tough to survive."
- "It's bad to be weak or vulnerable. Weak people are not worthy of respect."
- "I am stronger and more powerful than most people."
- "I can do whatever I want."
- "No one can tell me what to do."
- "Other people do not have the power to limit me in what I want and what I do."
- "I'm not subject to the constraints others might want to put on me."
- "I have the power to make things happen and do what I want."
- "If some is good, more is better."
- "I work hard and play hard."
- "It's not bad to be bad."
- "Powerful people tend to take advantage of weaker individuals. I protect the people I care about."
- "While I don't necessarily "like" conflict, I can confront others when I need to move forward, get what I want, protect someone or combat injustice."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
These I mostly agree and identify with.

-"In a tough world, you need to be tough to survive."
- "It's bad to be weak or vulnerable. Weak people are not worthy of respect."
- "I am stronger and more powerful than most people."
- "Other people do not have the power to limit me in what I want and what I do."
- "I have the power to make things happen and do what I want."
- "I work hard and play hard."
- "Powerful people tend to take advantage of weaker individuals. I protect the people I care about."
- "While I don't necessarily "like" conflict, I can confront others when I need to move forward, get what I want, protect someone or combat injustice."

- "I can do whatever I want."

No. No one can do whatever they want, certainly not without consequences and it's usually not worth it.

- "I'm not subject to the constraints others might want to put on me."

If I have a family to take care of, I am subject to constraints, like it or not.

- "No one can tell me what to do."

If I trust their leadership, I don't have a problem with orders/directions.

"If some is good, more is better."

I know 8's lean towards gluttony in everything (myself included). Power, food, sex, adventure but as one matures, moderation really becomes the name of the game. You just can't go 100mph all the time and survive.

- "It's not bad to be bad."

Yes it is.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]
No. No one can do whatever they want, certainly not without consequences and it's usually not worth it.
I think what she means is more "no one can impose rules on what I can do" rather than "I can do whatever I want and expect the come out ok".

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
define "bad"

Morally corrupt, not pure, found guilty of wrongdoings. Most importantly though, for type 8 (and arguably, also 1), it's a very strong internally felt experience of simply "not being good [enough]" which then translates into being equal to bad. It's a conviction of one's own badness. You are a bad person. To be honest, unless you have personally experienced this, it's very difficult to explain, but it's kind of like the feeling when you were found stealing from your parents or something along those lines. You know that you did something wrong and that it's bad which means you too, must be a bad person, for committing such an act. There is no real rational logic behind it and why you feel this way or why you think that you are, you just know in your gut that you are. It needs to be remembered that 8s are gut types and as such, operate a lot on what is internally felt in the gut and a lot of knowing comes from trusting your gut instincts.

In relation to this and what separates 8s and 1s apart in their sense of badness, is that type 8 the best exemplifies the notion of original sin and fallen from grace. 1s feel wrong but they do not necessarily feel that they are sinners as they may staunchly believe in their own sense of actually being a good person or that they in the very least, can be a good person. 8s, do not. 1 and 8 operate in contrary reaction formations in this regard, in that 8s embrace and accept as a means to cope, and 1s seek to improve themselves and overcome it.

EDIT
Marilyn Manson's (s)AINT is actually good example of how 8s may experience it:

I don't care if your world is ending today
Because I wasn't invited to it anyway
What's my name, what's my name?
Hold the S because I am an AINT

It also kind of exemplifies the point below, the whole "I can do whatever I want and you have no right to stop me or impose restraints upon me, because any attempt to do so will have the opposite effect."

You see similar sentiments in Whore by In This Moment:

I can be your whore!
I am the dirt you created
I am your sinner
I am your whore
But let me tell you something baby
You love me for everything you hate me for

@ceecee

I think what she means is more "no one can impose rules on what I can do" rather than "I can do whatever I want and expect the come out ok".

I agree, that's a very good way of putting it. I'm reminded of Metallica's Wherever I May Roam:

In sentiment, it's a very 8-ish song, I think.