• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Main differences between 9s and 6w7s (particularly so/sx)?

Turtle

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
Sometimes I feel that type 9w1 and type 6w7 so/sx are the same exact thing. Both are indecisive, both are optimistic, both are focused on making others comfortable and putting others first. I have been back and forth between these two types for ages. I am wondering if there are any real life examples I can point to, too.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Um, where to start :unsure:

Everything?

Some some main areas that show the differences imo...

Trust v doubt: 6s want to be trusted by others yet find it incredibly difficult to trust in return, there's an element of always being on guard for the rug to be pulled out from underneath them so they buffer themselves, the saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself" fits. 9s on the other hand trust easily, it may not be real trust, instead it can be a form of arcadia, however there is this ability to always see the good in people.

'Realist' v optimistic: One expects things to work out right in the end and can gloss over the troubles when they come up, the other understands that things can go wrong at any time and is hyper vigilant to contingency plan so they are safe.

Head v gut: I don't think 6s find it easy, if at all possible, to get out of their heads and shut off their thoughts, 9s do, we zone out too easily and operate on 'automatic', this is separate from being intellectual or a thinker. A 9 in touch with themselves can be very centred in their body, ofc 9s are the gut type who can be most in their body and most out of touch with it, and the same with 6s with head.

Contingency planning V going with the flow
Under stress more reactive and aggressive V more unresponsive and passive
Needing to see everything bad V prone to ignoring the bad
Alert/awake to environment V zoning out
Dislikes uncertainty V is uncertain
Need for security V need for stability
Suspicious of motivations V presumes good motivations

There are similarities ofc, both can over explain as they don't want to be misunderstood and both seek their independence and a bunch of other things, but the instinct stack doesn't make them similar from my perspective as a 9 with the wrong wing who is So/Sx.

Examples. No guarantees they are correct, I don't know the men, and I personally think the above is more telling, but you asked.

Tom Hanks a possible 6w7 So/Sx

Tim Robbins a possible 9w1 So/Sx

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Um, where to start :unsure:

Everything?

Some some main areas that show the differences imo...

Trust v doubt: 6s want to be trusted by others yet find it incredibly difficult to trust in return, there's an element of always being on guard for the rug to be pulled out from underneath them so they buffer themselves, the saying "if you want something done right, do it yourself" fits. 9s on the other hand trust easily, it may not be real trust, instead it can be a form of arcadia, however there is this ability to always see the good in people.

'Realist' v optimistic: One expects things to work out right in the end and can gloss over the troubles when they come up, the understands that things can go wrong at any time and is hyper vigilant to contingency plan so they are safe.

Head v gut: I don't think 6s find it easy, if at all possible, to get out of their heads and shut off their thoughts, 9s do, we zone out too easily and operate on 'automatic', this is separate from being intellectual or a thinker. A 9 in touch with themselves can be very centred in their body, ofc 9s are the gut type who can be most in their body and most out of touch with it, and the same with 6s with head.

Contingency planning V going with the flow
Under stress more reactive and aggressive V more unresponsive and passive
Needing to see everything bad V prone to ignoring the bad
Alert/awake to environment V zoning out
Dislikes uncertainty V is uncertain
Need for security V need for stability
Suspicious of motivations V presumes good motivations

There are similarities ofc, both can over explain as they don't want to be misunderstood and both seek their independence and a bunch of other things, but the instinct stack doesn't make them similar from my perspective as a 9 with the wrong wing who is So/Sx.

You know, all of this is extremely accurate for the differences between 6w5 me and my 9w8 gf. Unknown stackings. I don't know about the specific wings and stackings under scrutiny in this thread but this description is extremely good at laying out the enneagram differences out as they show up in my household. Nice.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] would probably be helpful since she's an NFP 6w7 so/sx with a 9w1 bestie iirc.

Turtle

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
Aww man, I am starting to wonder if I am actually a 6 instead of a 9. Though I might be a 6w5 instead of a 6w7, especially since I score pretty high on 5 and my lowest score is always 7 or 8. However, I am so/sx for sure.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I've noticed our anxiety levels greatly differ. The 6's I live with tend to very often vocalize worse case scenarios whereas I tend to not have those sorts of things on the brain at all. They're both moving towards 3 because they're both pretty unhealthy so they tend to show some very paranoid behavior IMO. Although I guess it's not completely unjustified to be a little wary especially after the sorts of things they've been through.

It sort of seems to me like they're anxious about life in general. In turn I feel as if they see me as overly relaxed/unhurried and unrealistic about life in general.

As I said they're unhealthy so I'd take this with a grain of salt as their anxiety may be so apparent due to their health levels.

Turtle

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
Personally, I feel like I'm right smack dab in the middle. As a child, I had crippling social anxiety. Nowadays, if I am in a happy mood, I can chat with just about anyone. I only feel uncomfortable in social situations if I've been "introverted" for a long period of time in my room and am going out into the open. I am also pretty 9ish in that I always "turn into" whoever I'm talking to. I don't even realize that I am doing this. It isn't that I am agreeing with them (and I'm not afraid to state my opinion if I have a strong one that I can defend), I just feel like I become them. As a result, I have to be careful who I interact with.

I have anxiety about almost everything, and the troubleshooting metaphor used to describe E6 describes me pretty well. I am always doubting myself and my romantic relationships. If someone says something that contradicts what I said, I will try their opinion on in my head and imagine what it would be like if it were true, which usually results in me adopting the opinion. I could probably convince myself that I was any type on the Enneagram, with the exception of 8 or 7.

Some of this is difficult to decipher what can be attributed to my so/sx instinctual stacking or me being INFP. One thing is for sure, though: dating an ENTJ with a 316 tritype has been helpful, because although he has a competitive image-conscious nature, he is consistent, reliable, and does exactly what he says he will do. He is also loyal and doesn't lie. He has had girls come up and kiss him (while he was drunk) and he didn't reciprocate. This is particularly helpful, as my main fear is infidelity -- my mom cheated on my dad for years and destroyed our family as a result of it. I was also cheated on emotionally many times by my 7sx ex, who seemed to fall in love at the drop of a hat. I hate reading about 6 and 3 incompatibility issues because I am easily swayed by opinions over the Internet if I turn off the part of me that tries to think for myself, but I also feel that the reasons why 6 and 3 fail have more to do with the level of fakeness in the 3 (which is something I don't really see in my more 1ish than 3ish ENTJ).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I feel like I'm right smack dab in the middle. As a child, I had crippling social anxiety. Nowadays, if I am in a happy mood, I can chat with just about anyone. I only feel uncomfortable in social situations if I've been "introverted" for a long period of time in my room and am going out into the open. I am also pretty 9ish in that I always "turn into" whoever I'm talking to. I don't even realize that I am doing this. It isn't that I am agreeing with them (and I'm not afraid to state my opinion if I have a strong one that I can defend), I just feel like I become them. As a result, I have to be careful who I interact with.

I have anxiety about almost everything, and the troubleshooting metaphor used to describe E6 describes me pretty well. I am always doubting myself and my romantic relationships. If someone says something that contradicts what I said, I will try their opinion on in my head and imagine what it would be like if it were true, which usually results in me adopting the opinion. I could probably convince myself that I was any type on the Enneagram, with the exception of 8 or 7.

Some of this is difficult to decipher what can be attributed to my so/sx instinctual stacking or me being INFP. One thing is for sure, though: dating an ENTJ with a 316 tritype has been helpful, because although he has a competitive image-conscious nature, he is consistent, reliable, and does exactly what he says he will do. He is also loyal and doesn't lie. He has had girls come up and kiss him (while he was drunk) and he didn't reciprocate. This is particularly helpful, as my main fear is infidelity -- my mom cheated on my dad for years and destroyed our family as a result of it. I was also cheated on emotionally many times by my 7sx ex, who seemed to fall in love at the drop of a hat. I hate reading about 6 and 3 incompatibility issues because I am easily swayed by opinions over the Internet if I turn off the part of me that tries to think for myself, but I also feel that the reasons why 6 and 3 fail have more to do with the level of fakeness in the 3 (which is something I don't really see in my more 1ish than 3ish ENTJ).

You sound a lot like a 6. My girlfriend does a lot of what you have said you do, actually (she's a 6, but a 6w7 sx/so ENFP, and is counterphobic).

She is always paranoid to the point where I have to work to actually get her to focus on what's going on presently sometimes. She will adopt opinions like you have, until it doesn't go well and then she seeks out her actual, own opinion. She is constantly doubting not only herself, but literally everything, even things that are tried and true to her.

Also I think that the bolded describes 3-6-9 in general, but it manifests differently I think. I generally don't watch who I interact with at all, but I think I'm somewhat less affected by who I'm around than my GF, but it's definitely still happening. The fact that you get worried about who you interact with, again, implies 6.

Some differences in me and my GF are-

-I always go with the flow and deal with stuff as it comes up, which I excel at and it has always gotten me where I need to go. She is always worried about stuff and going with the flow is like another language to her. She often gets so worried that she won't do anything at all, or just the opposite, she will violently and explosively react to things totally unwarranted (because it's solely in her head, her thoughts).

-She is incredibly detail oriented, even as an ENFP. Although she forgets about a lot of the details, so she goes through the same mental processes over and over again because she forgot that she has already processed the information. Things have a tendency to "fester" in her mind, where if something doesn't happen around something she's worried about, her obsessive thoughts over that thing will evolve it into something completely different in her mind than what's in reality, and assume the worst about people and things as a result. Which causes really, really bad stuff to happen generally. I am not like this at all, and I find it strange to constantly be worrying yourself over seemingly menial things, when you could be out doing something about the things that are bothering you.

-I never really plan ahead, unless it's something tangible that I know will happen. Which in that case it doesn't take long to figure out what I'll do when the imminent arises. I never assume plans will change. She is always under the assumption people and plans will change for no reason, and then makes plans for when those plans don't go wrong. She is always planning ahead in this way. Kinda like what [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] said, it's a contingency planning obsession. While in my experience, 99% of the time nothing ever changes, and my perception is correct. I can literally only thing of one time where one of her contingency plans was necessary. And even then I still feel that it's a useless habit, because it took be approximately 0.5 seconds to adapt to the situation. (Maybe that's the Se though?)

-She always assumes people are out to get her, but it's unconscious. I size people up based on things I've observed, and things that would logically occur as a result of things that they've done. I never assume people are out to get me. In this world everyone is out for themselves, why would anyone give a shit about you. You're a person that they may never see ever again. That's my thoughts on it anyway.

-The only time I have any anxiety at all is when something tangible is occurring that I can't do anything about until a later time, or if I don't have any control over it. She gets anxious over everything, sometimes even stuff that has nothing to do with her or that has happened before (that's a big one, huge anxiety about the past, that may be inferior Si talking though). I have to calm her down a lot because a lot of the stuff a 6 thinks about is simply absurd in my mind, and could never possibly happen. :laugh:

I can continue if anyone has any questions... but I think the differences are pretty clear. I think that sometimes the social attitudes of a 9 and a 6 could be similar, in that we are both "buddy" types to be around, and go along with what others want unconsciously. On the surface sometimes the two types may appear somewhat similar. But once you step into even the acquaintance zone, the differences in the two individuals will be glaringly obvious.

Not to pry, [MENTION=22289]Turtle[/MENTION], but are you sure your BF is a 3? I hate to question others, but from what you've said maybe he's a type 1? With the typical 1 stuff softened by the so/sp stacking, and may not have as much of an intensity about "enforcing" due to lack of sx. Just a thought. You obviously know him more than I. :)

Turtle

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION], that was an extremely helpful post. I think that you solidified me being a 6w5, because I relate to your GF in almost every instance you provided. I think that 9w1 can seem more appealing to an NFP when most type 6 descriptions have a distinct STJ flavor. However, I have often battled between INFP and INFJ as my MBTI type (despite relating 100% to the NFP functions over the NFJ functions), and I think that this has more to do with me being a type 6. For example, I often read that perceivers like "going with the flow" and wandering around without a goal in mind, whereas this makes me feel uncomfortable. I am also not very spontaneous at all and love planning for myself, whether contingency or otherwise. :)

As for my ENTJ being a type 1...I mean, I tend to consider it from time to time. I had him take the test once and he scored Type 1, though I showed him the Type 3 description (his second or third highest) and he said he related to that one more. Though he is less personable and expressive due to his sx-last, his primary motivation has always been to acquire a high degree of success, and failure is a fear that governs his actions. Though he is honest and steady, I wouldn't say that he is particularly morally inclined. He would be willing to sacrifice his principles for being the best. He is certainly not untrustworthy, but he is definitely in it for himself (and anyone else who happens to be on his team, which includes me).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=22289]Turtle[/MENTION] I'm glad my post was helpful! If it makes sense, I think that type 6 is better suited toward an STJ, because the paranoia kind of manifests itself in their Ne. But for N types, their intuitive functions are just fed by the type 6 paranoia, while I think the STJs to a degree ignore it much moreso than the NP types who are 6s. I do hold the opinion though that every type there is can be a 6, of any wing too (although I think 6w5 is more inclined toward IXTX except ISTP sometimes, and 6w7 is more slanted toward EXFX, with ENFP as the exception sometimes. The others are all fair game).

I wouldn't even worry about the letter descriptions, the functions are much more helpful in describing a person's personality. :)

Are you a member of the Enenagram Institute? You have to be a member to view certain documents on there (all of which are helpful), and these include the type comparisons and confusions. If you'd like, I could PM you 9 vs 6 and 1 vs 3. Those are both actually common mixups, but these articles are written to help give clarity.

Your BF sounds like a cool dude though. Coming from someone of opposite variant even. :laugh:

Turtle

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION] Thank you so much. :) I am a member, so I am able to view that page. Even after reading through it, I am still a little unsure. One key thing about him is that he needs to "be seen as someone who is in control, and has everything together." I wonder if that is 3 or 1.

And for what it's worth, you've been helpful on this thread, so thank you!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] for the mention, sorry for being slow to show :)

@Kasper and @BlackCat have done a really nice job of clarifying, not sure I have much to add beyond personal experience. Essentially I think it boils down to 6 and 9 both really wanting to live in a stress-free world, but taking polar opposite approaches to how to attain that. 6s scan everything and rout out potential problems; 9s create harmony via negotiating and detaching. @Turtle, IMO the most telling difference will probably be whether you tend to stay in your head and hyperanalyze to the point of driving thought trains around in circles (6), or whether you tend to run on autopilot and seek comforts to avoid stress (9).

I have a 9w1 sp/so boyfriend and a 9w8 sp/sx brother... we all tend to be a little on the anxious side, interestingly - my boyfriend's is more an e1/SJ need to be perfect/together - he had pretty disciplinarian parents and I think some of it stems from that - while my brother and I have the more classic generalized, diffuse anxiety - but the major difference I see is that my brother and boyfriend spend a lot of time engaging in comforts that divert them from their anxiety - daily routines, food/drink/etc, comforting places, playing and listening to music - while I spend a lot of time spinning my mental wheels thinking about how to address the situations that make me anxious. Given, I am N while they are both S, which naturally does mean I spend more time in my head and less in the present, while they are more realistic doers. My brother does more avoiding and more confronting, while my boyfriend does more peacemaking and routinizing, which I think are mostly SP/w8 and SJ/w1 differences. One really funny thing I have noticed about both of them is they are really awful at rushing. It's like the more you push them, the more they become stubborn about not hurrying. I tend to be the opposite - the more I am pushed for time, the more harried I become. I think that is a fairly good microcosm of the 9-vs-6 response tendency.

I always "turn into" whoever I'm talking to. I don't even realize that I am doing this. It isn't that I am agreeing with them (and I'm not afraid to state my opinion if I have a strong one that I can defend), I just feel like I become them.

I do this as well to an extent.

If someone says something that contradicts what I said, I will try their opinion on in my head and imagine what it would be like if it were true, which usually results in me adopting the opinion.

This is actually something I do not relate with. I tend to immediately assume the defensive if someone contradicts me, ready to fight against. I have to manually override that instinct to feel like it is an attack and take a neutral stance in response. I have no idea if this is just me or if it is an Enneatype thing. I am not particularly either phobic or counterphobic, so this might be a more CP behavior on my part.

I hate reading about 6 and 3 incompatibility issues because I am easily swayed by opinions over the Internet if I turn off the part of me that tries to think for myself, but I also feel that the reasons why 6 and 3 fail have more to do with the level of fakeness in the 3 (which is something I don't really see in my more 1ish than 3ish ENTJ).

Ah. I had a 3 best friend in college. I think 3-6 can work out very well as long as the 6 can tolerate the 3's need for gloss and the 3 can tolerate the 6's periodic hyperanxiety.

One key thing about him is that he needs to "be seen as someone who is in control, and has everything together." I wonder if that is 3 or 1.

I think that will sort of depend on where the focus is. Is the focus on his need to be seen as having it all under control, or does he need to feel for himself like everything is under control? The 3 generally has more faith in their ability to "perform" and achieve what they need to achieve even if things are a little sloppy backstage, while the 1 is deeply concerned that everything is in order and may bring aberrations to attention even if no one else has noticed thus far. 3 has more focus on getting the end result and 1 has more focus on going about things the "right" way, even if it hinders effectiveness.

She is constantly doubting not only herself, but literally everything, even things that are tried and true to her.

Haha, BlackCat, I relate to your girlfriend in this way for sure! :)