User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: ISTP 9w8

Default ISTP 9w8

Would you say this is accurate?

quoted from The Crossroads • View topic - ISTP with Enneagram xwx
    ISTP 9w8

An ISTP 9w8 will often be very introverted due to the 9 but the 8 brings out a need for physical sensations and like pushing themselves. They can seem very relaxed on the outside but on the inside they can be very impatient and be restless. It may appear difficult to break their calm but once you do, but once angered, they bite hard. They are one of the most likable types and people will often say things like “Everybody loves soandso” or “I haven’t met anybody who doesn’t like soandso.” Even though they may seem sweet and innocent at first due to the 9, get to know them better and you’ll see the 8 and STP show as a fun-loving, mischievous monkey. They won’t usually start conflicts but won’t back down if threatened. If someone they care about is in a conflict, they’ll often let them deal with it depending on the situation but will watch over it and step in if they have to. They have no problem throwing punches if they feel those they care about are threatened. Two things almost guaranteed to make them angry are to hit them out of anger or to treat them as if they’re stupid or as if you’re better than them. The first will lead to them often striking back but in more controlling methods like pain compliance/grappling while the other usually leads to yelling. 9s can be quite intuitive so ISTP 9w8s are likely to be a bit balanced in the S/N area but in the end, they are S’s and are more in the here and now.

What would you add to describe the 9w8 ISTP combination?

Could some ISTP 9 members post personal anecdotes or objective self descriptions?

MBTI
    ISTP

I'll say it's accurate.

Is this a pretty common enneatype for ISTPs?

I know many are also 5s. I mistyped as a 5 for a while.

I can't find the link now, but I read someone on another forum essentially say this is a winning combo.

Seems like it would create a conflicted person though. The peacekeeper aspect of 9 versus the slightly antisocial, withdrawn ISTP. A reluctantly diplomatic person, so to speak.

In my experience, family and friends always want to come to me with problems for advice. They look to me as some sort of moral compass. The thing is, I don;t mind offering advice, but I will call it as I see it. I have no problem telling people hurtful truths, so long as it is true. Sometimes people just want a shoulder to cry on and don't want you to be honest, but I have to go with facts first. I'm not going to sugarcoat shit or tell white lies to make someone feel better--that is doing them a disservice in the long run. I will offer practical advice and insights, but some people just want you to jerk them off emotionally.

MBTI
    ISTP

Then again, me saying it's accurate is obviously biased as I wrote that a few years ago.
    I actually mistyped originally as a 7, with other people occasionally thinking I'm a 7, though I have seen many 5s.
    My diplomatic side actually works with my antisocial side as I do just enough to get people to leave me alone

Quote Originally Posted by mcgooglian View Post
    Then again, me saying it's accurate is obviously biased as I wrote that a few years ago.
    I actually mistyped originally as a 7, with other people occasionally thinking I'm a 7, though I have seen many 5s.
    My diplomatic side actually works with my antisocial side as I do just enough to get people to leave me alone
    You wrote that? Cool. I found it to be a pretty accurate description of myself. I don;t go out of my way to make myself liked, but I've made hardly any enemies in my time on this planet and am usually well liked at home and at work, despite being somewhat reserved and withdrawn. There is a caustic side of me that can be drawn out which usually surprises people who normally see me as the laidback, friendly, quiet guy. I'm not a crusader in the way NF types are, but I won;t hesitate to call out double standards in people's speech and actions as I see them. It has occasionally gotten me into hot water at work, but my calm, laidback, likable persona usually saves my ass from being fired or making too many enemies.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    You wrote that? Cool. I found it to be a pretty accurate description of myself. I don;t go out of my way to make myself liked, but I've made hardly any enemies in my time on this planet and am usually well liked at home and at work, despite being somewhat reserved and withdrawn.
    Me neither. I just do whatever the Hell I want, especially when it comes to being a complete smartass and most people seem to like it (I annoy some STJs though).

Yeah, same here. I sometimes worry that my smartass comments will bite me in the ass, but people seem to find it endearing. I've had some STJ bosses who mistook me for being disobedient or a wiseass, but after working with me for a while, they usually learned that's just the way I am, and that I can be a loyal, compassionate person. I just have a funny way of showing it. Keep your distance, don;t expect touchy-feely bullshit and hugging, but I will stand up for anyone who is obviously being treated unfairly. I'm happy to follow rules as long as they make sense and don't impede on my independence too much.

MBTI
    ISTP

I've had another 9w8 say "you're a smart aleck with a balance of not being too much of a jerk and calculative with it too." The STJs usually end up realizing that while I'm a constant smartass, I tend to get shit done better than others for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgooglian View Post
    I've had another 9w8 say "you're a smart aleck with a balance of not being too much of a jerk and calculative with it too." The STJs usually end up realizing that while I'm a constant smartass, I tend to get shit done better than others for the most part.
    That's pretty close to my experience. I work in manufacturing. Most of my supervisors have been SJs of some form, and initially thought I was a smartass but after working with me for a while have realized I easily finish my work on time or ahead of time and take some level of pride in maintaining a clean work area. If only I could apply the same cleanliness to my home...

I'm also good at noticing mistakes--sharp eye for the little details--but I suppose this is a more general trait for SPs and not specific to ISTPs or 9s, but it has only helped me at various jobs.

I ask questions a lot which initially might make me look annoying or stupid, but it's only to find out how and why things work or are assembled the way they are or why certain rules and procedures are in place. When my logic brain detects flaws or inconsistencies, I can't help but ask why. There is nothing I hate more than the answer "that's just how we've always done it" or "don't ask questions, you're not hired to think"

If not for being an intelligent and hard worker, my smartassery would've gotten me fired or laid-off long ago.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I ask questions a lot which initially might make me look annoying or stupid, but it's only to find out how and why things work or are assembled the way they are or why certain rules and procedures are in place. When my logic brain detects flaws or inconsistencies, I can't help but ask why. There is nothing I hate more than the answer "that's just how we've always done it" or "don't ask questions, you're not hired to think"
    This is actually why I tend to become the Go-To Guy at different jobs. I want to know how everything works and why, so I can do my job easier. It's to the point where after I temporarily left one job, I still got texts afterwards asking how different stuff worked.