• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Number of threads by Enneatype

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just checked how many threads we have by each type. Here it is.

Why do you think we have so many threads on 4s? It struck me as unusual.

Also, why so few on 1s and 2s?

Octavarium

Either:
1. Certain types, E.G. 4s, are more likely to be drawn to the Enneagram and/or internet forums
2. People are mistyping as those types, or
3. A bit of both.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because us fours love talking about ourselves. Professional navel gazers.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Sigh.

I wish we could hear more from the other types on here, and less about fucking fours and fives already.

But yeah, sadly:

1. Certain types, E.G. 4s, are more likely to be drawn to the Enneagram and/or internet forums
2. People are mistyping as those types, or
3. A bit of both.

and

Because us fours love talking about ourselves.

and other stuff.

L

LadyLazarus

Why does no one ever want to talk about 2's? I want to learn about my disintegration point dammit! All I've seen is that thread about how they're seducers and not helpers or whatever.:dry:

Also, I'm sick of all the threads on 4's because they're not all about me and just me specifically!:mad:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol

I would love to see more discussion of some of the lower types on that chart.

Starry

I just checked how many threads we have by each type. Here it is.

It struck me as unusual that this struck you as unusual. :wink:

I was thinking you had a similar graph of e-type and the site's population... I would imagine a similar distribution but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Starry

I always think of 1, 2 & 3s actually doing real life stuff in the real world. And 7s know they can't start threads...because they are so hard-pressed to see them through haha...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, aside from the population issue (or, perhaps, related to it), I've seen the claim (reasonably well substantiated in various ways, imo) that 4s and 5s are often the least healthy types on the enneagram (6s as well [but they, along with 9s, are one of the types least likely to actually know their true type]). This could explain why so many 4s and 5s visit internet forums and start threads to discuss their issues; because they are more in need of trying to work through this unhealth.

Starry

Well, aside from the population issue (or, perhaps, related to it), I've seen the claim (reasonably well substantiated in various ways, imo) that 4s and 5s are often the least healthy types on the enneagram (6s as well [but they, along with 9s, are one of the types least likely to actually know their true type]). This could explain why so many 4s and 5s visit internet forums and start threads to discuss their issues; because they are more in need of trying to work through this unhealth.

So if I wasn't strongly connected to 4, 5 & 6...I'd be completely healthy is what you're sayin... (<-that's a joke and a straightforward comment all at the same time.)

I'm also assuming there are more "I'm in a relationship with an e4/e5 - and I have no idea what they want/think/feel because they don't talk - please help" threads.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It struck me as unusual that this struck you as unusual. :wink:

I was thinking you had a similar graph of e-type and the site's population... I would imagine a similar distribution but perhaps I'm mistaken.

That's a good point. Here is what I pulled together in the fall of 2012. There's still more e5s than e4s though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's cuz the whole worlds a 4 these days. Everyone wants to be a 4, screw that.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*ehem Disclaimer: these are just my thoughts, not facts by any means.

I think we've actually been over this topic (but in the form of "why are there so many 4's on the forum?"). What's been said is true, 4's don't hesitate to talk about themselves (in order to figure it all out) and certainly there is some margin for mistyping. That said, I also think there are more specific reasons:

• 4s are prone to self analysis, introspection and strongly desire to find and understand their identity. That's why I personally am here, and having a 5 wing increases that-- the Enneagram is like anything that I (over) analyze and must pick apart to understand, even to an obsessive extent.
  • Introversion, which is a defining quality of 4 and 5 would make both types more prone to spending time on the internet.

Even without this graph, I would have definitely pegged 4 and 5 as the most likely to engage an Internet forum, have deep interest in the Enneagram and be likely to write and ask questions about themselves. 6 and 9 I believe are middle of the road, and the remaining types as low on that scale-- here's why I think they would have less interest:

1) Change makers who have a calling to "make the world right", I can understand why they wouldn't bother with spending time on Internet forums. Having issues with anger and "keeping the lid on" their volcano off shackled emotions, I can't see 1's seeking self awareness (unless they are unhealthy and reach a point of needing to).

2) I have more 2's in my life than any other type (trust me, I have a chart) and they are all far too busy listening to and doing things for other people (in the pursuit of love and self worth) to even think about their own inner workings. I also think that it would take a pretty healthy 2 to start a thread blatantly about themself without any guise of it being for someone else's benefit.

3) One the most extroverted types, it makes total sense for 3's to be scarce on an Internet forum (and who better to start a thread about 3's than themselves). Most 3's of average health want nothing less than to self analyze or get to the truth of what their nature is, as they place high value in their constructed image and what's on the surface. Some descriptions say that 3's sacrifice their "heart's desire" early in life in order to lead a life of whatever it takes to win (i.e. deceit). It makes sense then that not very many 3's would take enough interest in Enneagram to peruse an online forum.

7) Enthusiasts want variety and excitement-- sitting in front of a computer for very long doesn't fit that bill. Healthier 7's I can see wanting to understand their inner workings (like a 5) but average to unhealthy individuals would avoid introspection like the plague (that is the 7's head point of anxiety after all).

8) I would think that Challengers are too busy shaking the earth and cowboy-ing about to spend regular time in an Internet forum (though I do believe introverted 8's are more prone to it). From the 8's I know IRL, they tend to buck typology in general or anything that would define or fence them in. I would guess that this is also a type that individuals of other types more commonly start threads about, hence the higher number in the graph.

Haha, I've often chuckled to myself seeing so many 4's and 5's here (though they are reportedly the least populous types) and wondered what percentage of each type is present on typology forums. Less for specific numbers and more to illustrate my thoughts, my extremely haphazard guess is something like this.*

1 - 3% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
2 - 0.5% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
3 - 0.72%
4 - 49% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
5 - 50% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
6 - 12% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
7 - 8% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
8 - 19% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums
9 - 14% of the entire pop. are present on internet typology forums

*from what I've read, I consider the reportedly least populous types (in descending order) to be 8, 4 and 5.

Humor me, thoughts?

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't think there are more unhealthy 4s & 5s, but these types may be perceived that way.
I think there just a lot of us on the Internet cuz we are withdrawn types.

It's harder to get 9s to analyze too.

There is a ton of 6 discussion on other enneagram forums. This place will catch up now that more identify as 6.

Because us fours love talking about ourselves. Professional navel gazers.

Other types make threads about us too. When I said I was getting sick of talking about being a 4, some got offended.

I've made threads about 1s and they die after a few posts. Perhaps people know a thread about 4s get responses.

á´…eparted

passages
First, @highlander I love threads like this. Such pretty data to look at :wubbie:. Makes a lot of sense too. Both due to population and interest in given types, as well as the typical attributes of the given types that would drive them to create or have threads created on their behalf for that given type. More or less for the reasons that have already been pointed out.

I've made threads about 1s and they die after a few posts. Perhaps people know a thread about 4s get responses.

I have yet to see a single 1 thread show up since I got here. I've thought of making one on several occasions for that reason. Though, to be perfectly honest I really don't like creating threads like that. It's sort of like "hey! I'm this type! Let's talk about ourselves, our issues, ask questions, what makes us tick!" and it makes me feel really narcissistic and self important and I feel really icky when I do stuff like that. Most other ones I know feel somewhat similar in response to talking about the self ad drawing explicit attention to it. It's more like, making one (or anything in that sort of vein) out of thin air without an explicit reason just feels wrong and rife with self-importance. Though if there is something that could have prompted it, then it's ok. Eh, I digress.

That could be some of the reason for it anyway. That, and most folks tend to have bad impressions of 1's being all strict and nit-picky (which is a stereotype, but it's a stereotype for a reason) and not wanting to deal with it or talk about. No one (even ones themselves) likes to be at the receiving end of a 1's "paddle of correction", and might want to just ignore them from being butthurt (if you can excuse that horrible horrible pun).

Octavarium

I've thought about this a bit more. I've made plenty of forum posts (mostly on PerC rather than here) in response to posters saying that most people must be mistyping themselves in the MBTI, since the proportion of INxx types in typology communities is so high in comparison to the estimates for the general population. I've argued that the I and N preferences both tend to make someone more likely to be interested in psychology and/or to participate in internet forum discussion, so as I said in my first post, I'm open to the idea that certain Enneagram types would be more likely to be drawn to forums and/or the Enneagram. However, I think mistyping is probably a bigger part of the explanation for the Enneagram than it is for the MBTI. Firstly, the MBTI (especially in its dichotomy-centric form, as opposed to the functions) is a much simpler system than the Enneagram, meaning that the Enneagram has more room for error. Secondly, as far as I know, all of the well-known MBTI experts are intuitives, and almost all are INs, whereas among Enneagram authors there seems to be a more even spread of Enneagram types. So it doesn't really seem as though there are certain types that are more likely to be professionally involved with the Enneagram in the same way that intuitives are so overrepresented among MBTI professionals.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I want to make sure everyone knows you can do this now. The Enneagram forum threads are all tagged - or the ones that don't fall into the "general" category anyway. You can pull up a subset of the forum threads by specifying what prefix you want.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...e=-1&sort=lastpost&prefixid=Type_1&order=desc

The MBTI/Cognitive function subforum is not tagged yet. That's huge.

*all of a sudden is much less annoyed about this whole tagging business*