User Tag List

Permabanned

Default 7s and escaping into a delusional future

7s always need to escape into some promising future. So sometimes I settle for what I can get and create this fantasy in my mind of how this thing in the future is going to be perfect (ex. a life goal, moving, big purchase). But when I actually get to experience the thing more often than not it sucks. It completely destroys the delusion and I'm left wondering what I was thinking. I want to make sure that my future plans are actually what I'm looking for. How would I make sure of this?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by badger055 View Post
    7s always need to escape into some promising future. So sometimes I settle for what I can get and create this fantasy in my mind of how this thing in the future is going to be perfect (ex. a life goal, moving, big purchase). But when I actually get to experience the thing more often than not it sucks. It completely destroys the delusion and I'm left wondering what I was thinking. I want to make sure that my future plans are actually what I'm looking for. How would I make sure of this?
    i think awareness that *nothing* is ever going to be perfect is a really important thing. i look for improvements. it helps me to identify whatever i'm unhappy with and then focus on whether or not that thing has improved in my new situation.

i will always be looking forward to something bigger and better in some capacity, because that's just the way i am. but keeping it realistic is something that helps me be satisfied with all situations. just finding the positives where you're at, and weighing the negatives out, changing them if you need to.

and if in a moment, i'm really unsatisfied with where i'm at, and i need a *now* escape, that's where fantasizing can come in. can be whatever you want, as long as you know it's just a fantasy.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

First try to be as pessimistic as possible, then slowly build your way up to a fairly realistic mid-way .
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp