• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7s and escaping into a delusional future

badger055

Permabanned
7s always need to escape into some promising future. So sometimes I settle for what I can get and create this fantasy in my mind of how this thing in the future is going to be perfect (ex. a life goal, moving, big purchase). But when I actually get to experience the thing more often than not it sucks. It completely destroys the delusion and I'm left wondering what I was thinking. I want to make sure that my future plans are actually what I'm looking for. How would I make sure of this?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7s always need to escape into some promising future. So sometimes I settle for what I can get and create this fantasy in my mind of how this thing in the future is going to be perfect (ex. a life goal, moving, big purchase). But when I actually get to experience the thing more often than not it sucks. It completely destroys the delusion and I'm left wondering what I was thinking. I want to make sure that my future plans are actually what I'm looking for. How would I make sure of this?

i think awareness that *nothing* is ever going to be perfect is a really important thing. i look for improvements. it helps me to identify whatever i'm unhappy with and then focus on whether or not that thing has improved in my new situation.

i will always be looking forward to something bigger and better in some capacity, because that's just the way i am. but keeping it realistic is something that helps me be satisfied with all situations. just finding the positives where you're at, and weighing the negatives out, changing them if you need to.

and if in a moment, i'm really unsatisfied with where i'm at, and i need a *now* escape, that's where fantasizing can come in. can be whatever you want, as long as you know it's just a fantasy.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
First try to be as pessimistic as possible, then slowly build your way up to a fairly realistic mid-way .