• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] How does E9 Self-Forgetfulness work?

S

Stansmith

Although E9's are often described as being self-forgetting, dependent, malleable and unassuming, quite a few 9s strike me as being the exact opposite; having a strong sense of autonomy, individuality, etc.. Often times, moreso than most.

Is it something that they presumably had to work at? If you're an E9, how would you describe your experience with the trait?

gromit

likes this
Yeah a lot of the times if I don't have a strong opinion, I just let the other person go with what they want.

But I also get frustrated if everyone is being wishy-washy, like in terms of what we're going to do as a group, so I'll sometimes just pick something randomly so we can proceed instead of just spinning our wheels.

gromit

likes this
I have been at points in my life where there's a disconnect between inside and outside... I think that's maybe the self-forgetting, acting like everything is ok when it's not. But that's really not good for you, and sucks the life force... so yes, I do make a special effort to say something or do something to change the situation, if I start feeling like I'm going along with something that is not all right with me.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Pretty much what [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] says. Sometimes it's when I wish I wanted to do what other people want because I believe it is a good, even right, thing to do. But I don't really want to and then I resent it and have to either make adjustments or I get passive aggressive. I've gotten better with it as I've gotten older, I think. Took awhile to learn to treat myself with the same care and respect as I feel I should treat everyone else/see myself as an equal with legitimate needs and desires.

Is that what you're looking for?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Although E9's are often described as being self-forgetting, dependent, malleable and unassuming, quite a few 9s strike me as being the exact opposite; having a strong sense of autonomy, individuality, etc.. Often times, moreso than most.
I haven't noticed this to be the case unless the line to 3 is strong.

for example
fire-cannot-kill-a-dragon.gif

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Is it something that they presumably had to work at? If you're an E9, how would you describe your experience with the trait?

I think I remember having that experience sometime, but I forgot.

Yeah...Nope.

MBTI Type
ERMM
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, what [MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] says.

Maybe it's got to do with your wing? Or your state of health?

I used to be self-forgetting, unassuming and malleable. Though quite independent due to my upbringing as the firstborn. As I got older, and healthier I suppose, I find myself getting more assertive and vocal in groups.

I've always embraced my individuality, somehow always felt I didn't quite fit in among my friends at school and now at work. And had always been stubborn and self confident. I think that's my 8 wing.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, so i'll sound stupid, what exactly *is* self forgetting?

When i was younger i was much more malleable than i am now, it just took a lot of time to have confidence in my own opinion and learn that conflicting ideas are not always the end of the earth.

Although, i am much more inclined to just let an argument go if i can see i have no chance of convincing/persuading the other person to see my viewpoint even if i know i'm right. I just don't see the point in going around and around in an endless circle if someone is as un-budging in their own perceptions and ideals as i am. It's easier to just move on to another topic and agree to disagree.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

First things first, I strongly object to the idea that 9s are dependent. I have not heard that one and very much disagree with it, self-forgetting, malleable and unassuming; yes, dependent; no.

We give up our own needs because we believe they are unimportant, there is no reason to be dependent on others because of this. One simply needs to witness the stubbornness of a 9 when they disagree to realise we are independent on matters we care about.

Ignoring 'dependent', in true 9 style I say I do not see the other things things being opposites or incompatible with being autonomous or strongly individual.

In the absence of an opinion a 9 will just go along, we will be unaware of our personal stance as we haven't considered or upon consideration found we really couldn't feel strongly one way or another, if someone else has a strong view we will go along with them because of our lack of conviction for or against and the impact of holy love on our desire to not be unacceptable to others means 'why not?', after all the 9 doesn't care so let's not close the door to any options, and let's also not create a situation where someone else's needs that seem to be important are dismissed, we hate it when the latter happens to us so do not enjoy doing it to others.

If we do have a view though, then we will likely react one of three ways to someone with an opposing wish; we will with diplomacy share why we 'can understand their view but prefer our alternate view', will silently and stubbornly ignore them and do what we want regardless of their wishes, or (over) react with anger/defiance/strength either a version of strong moral conviction of a w1 or assertiveness of a w8 and show our disagreement.

Personally, I am highly malleable, yet I am also fiercely independent, this plays out by being forever open to views on 99% of life, things I haven't sat down and via my own experiences and learning come to a hard fast conclusion, I, like all 9s, can see and hold duel seemingly contradictory points of views open in my mind as valid possibilities so in a conversation if you hold a strong view and it contradicts what I have previously considered, I can genuinely see it as a possibility, however there are firm boundaries with me, I cannot be moved if I do not want to be, I will rely on no one to get what I want once I've made up my mind. I minimise my own needs in a self forgetting way, I am malleable and unassuming, I am also always autonomous despite my willingness to work with others and I am my own man who will not be changed because others want it. Often when a 9 goes along with others it's because they are uninvested, when we do not it's a sign we are present in the moment as we tend to know what we do not want easier than knowing what we do.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
OOOooo [MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION] said everything i wish i had.

especially this:

If we do have a view though, then we will likely react one of three ways to someone with an opposing wish; we will with diplomacy share why we 'can understand their view but prefer our alternate view', will silently and stubbornly ignore them and do what we want regardless of their wishes, or (over) react with anger/defiance/strength either a version of strong moral conviction of a w1 or assertiveness of a w8 and show our disagreement.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, so i'll sound stupid, what exactly *is* self forgetting?

Damn Fi. I kinda think Fi + 9 may help limit self forgetting.

Self forgetting is allowing ourselves to believe we don't have needs or opinions, to allow ourselves to 'not care' one way or another and ignoring that rising anger inside that tells us 'oops, you do care, you just don believe you matter enough to count'.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5

Self forgetting is allowing ourselves to believe we don't have needs or opinions, to allow ourselves to 'not care' one way or another and ignoring that rising anger inside that tells us 'oops, you do care, you just don believe you matter enough to count'.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Oh, no, my fi makes sure that if i care about something that angry little bubble of rage and belligerence comes up and i either esplode with opinion or sulk about how im right and they're wrong and i can't MAKE THEM BEND TO MY WILL. THE ASSHOLES.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Oh, no, my fi makes sure that if i care about something that angry little bubble of rage and belligerence comes up and i either esplode with opinion or sulk about how im right and they're wrong and i can't MAKE THEM BEND TO MY WILL. THE ASSHOLES.

W1 + Fi is gloriously scary with epic judgy hidden-unknown-boundaries wrath <3

Fe is all like, your needs matter, I sorry :cry:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My boyfriend is sp-first 9w1 and I'd say one of his primary characteristics is his independence and autonomy. As far as taking care of himself goes, he has that completely covered and will do what he has to for that. @Kasper already covered it pretty well but it doesn't really seem to have much to do with being self-forgetting, malleable, or unassuming. He's just pretty laid-back in general and he'll change the flow of his life to avoid conflict, notching his willful priorities down to accommodate the existence of an unpleasant situation. He rarely gets angry though he may harbor an intellectual resentment against a crappy system or hateful person. In general it seems from the outside like it's an energy thing for him. He'll express sentiments like why would I waste my energy on an unpleasant situation when I could opt for a pleasant one instead....

So that's where I see the self-forgetfulness/malleability coming in. The willingness to be redirected by environment.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
My boyfriend is sp-first 9w1 and I'd say one of his primary characteristics is his independence and autonomy. As far as taking care of himself goes, he has that completely covered and will do what he has to for that. @Kasper already covered it pretty well but it doesn't really seem to have much to do with being self-forgetting, malleable, or unassuming. He's just pretty laid-back in general and he'll change the flow of his life to avoid conflict, notching his willful priorities down to accommodate the existence of an unpleasant situation. He rarely gets angry though he may harbor an intellectual resentment against a crappy system or hateful person. In general it seems from the outside like it's an energy thing for him. He'll express sentiments like why would I waste my energy on an unpleasant situation when I could opt for a pleasant one instead....

^^^^^ yes. All this, as an INFP 9w1 i'm pretty good at all of the above and

W1 + Fi is gloriously scary with epic judgy hidden-unknown-boundaries wrath <3

Fe is all like, your needs matter, I sorry :cry:

not for the first time am i SUPREMELY glad i have Fi. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 even if, during outbursts, i come across more like a belligerent kitten than an adult.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
not for the first time am i SUPREMELY glad i have Fi. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 even if, during outbursts, i come across more like a belligerent kitten than an adult.

Hehe, you make it sound cute, yet I'm sure it's not (well, completely) XD

Fe can make the Fe type feel all warm and gooey in an OMG I'M CONNECTED TO ALL OF THE WORLD/UNIVERSE THIS IS BLISS kinda way when the feels are flowing so while I do have envy of what being as individualistic as a Fi type can be inherently, and the being less or unimpacted by others could be, I like being Fe over Fi well enough, although maybe it's just that I can intellectually understand Fi but I can't "get" it to know any better. Actually the most important element is I wouldn't trade my Ti for the world, subjective logic is the most awesome to have ever awesomed! :biggrin:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

well put

PS: [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
see now why I don't type as a 9? :laugh:

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
i am extremely malleable and easily led in most situations-
and also very stubborn and an intractable asshole in others.

I think a key to ISTPs is our belief that:
all things (all decisions and all situations) are contextual.
and; in the absence of morality, it is easier to follow than lead.

so despite having ferocious loyalty, i will always want to make my decisions based on the immediate strongest most relevant evidence.
if there is no conflict, i will often hold back my thoughts/opinions until all other possibilities are heard - and then i will happily re-align my decisions with the closest proximal equivalent.
in most social encounters i much prefer to defer.

what do you mean by self-forgetfulness?
i find i am always very aware of my self; my sense of my self is the most powerful and real and substantial thing in my life, it is a powerful constant.
i find that my love for myself is the only thing that never fails me.

In the absence of an opinion a 9 will just go along, we will be unaware of our personal stance as we haven't considered or upon consideration found we really couldn't feel strongly one way or another, if someone else has a strong view we will go along with them because of our lack of conviction for or against and the impact of holy love on our desire to not be unacceptable to others means 'why not?', after all the 9 doesn't care so let's not close the door to any options, and let's also not create a situation where someone else's needs that seem to be important are dismissed, we hate it when the latter happens to us so do not enjoy doing it to others.

Personally, I am highly malleable, yet I am also fiercely independent, this plays out by being forever open to views on 99% of life, things I haven't sat down and via my own experiences and learning come to a hard fast conclusion, I, like all 9s, can see and hold duel seemingly contradictory points of views open in my mind as valid possibilities so in a conversation if you hold a strong view and it contradicts what I have previously considered, I can genuinely see it as a possibility, however there are firm boundaries with me, I cannot be moved if I do not want to be, I will rely on no one to get what I want once I've made up my mind. I minimise my own needs in a self forgetting way, I am malleable and unassuming, I am also always autonomous despite my willingness to work with others and I am my own man who will not be changed because others want it. Often when a 9 goes along with others it's because they are uninvested, when we do not it's a sign we are present in the moment as we tend to know what we do not want easier than knowing what we do.

i feel very much the same way.

absolutely!, that strikes home.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20418]Dannik[/MENTION]
what do you mean by self-forgetfulness?
i find i am always very aware of my self; my sense of my self is the most powerful and real and substantial thing in my life, it is a powerful constant.
i find that my love for myself is the only thing that never fails me.
^this sounds 7 to me (shamelessly self indulgent, but in a good way)