• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram 7 Instinctual Subtypes

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Social 7: Friendship and Community

120412-one-direction.png

When most people think 7, it is typically the Social 7 which comes to mind; however, it is in fact the counter type among the 7s. Less narcissistic than other 7s, the Social 7 turns her sensitivity to deprivation outwards, is usually willing to lend a helping hand and is often found in work involving social activism. Her charm, enthusiasm and ability to make people laugh means she is usually popular and has little trouble warming people up to her many ideas and contributions. Given the more spread out nature of the Social instinct, this subtype is the most traditionally "monkey brained" of the 7s, wanting to know what's going on everywhere and interested in a wide range of topics (she is often more intellectual than her Sp and Sx cousins). For the Social 7, friends are what life is all about. She is intensely loyal, even self sacrificing at times in a manner similar to 2 and 6. Common career fields in which the Social 7 feels at home are social activism, sales, entertainment and work involving children.

Examples: Steve Irwin, George Clooney, Richard Branson, "Esmeralda" (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Self Preservation 7: Hedonism and Acquisition:

article-2555515-1B57BF9800000578-934_634x782.jpg

The most ambitious and grounded of the 7s, this subtype is often mistaken for 3 or 8. The Self Preservation 7 wants what he wants and will stop at nothing until he gets his. It is in this subtype that 7's universal fear of deprivation manifests most tangibly. The world is his oyster and is willing to work long, hard hours in order to have the highest quality food, clothes and various other hedonistic pleasures. He often has a political bent, allying himself with kindred spirits with whom he can exchange resources and express his true, self indulgent nature without judgment or restriction. Ironically, this is possibly the most physically sexual subtype on the Enneagram, often viewing sex as a connoisseur views a fine wine or tea. However, despite a typically selfish bent, the Self Preservation 7 is very keen on protecting "his own" and often serves as a responsible provider and pillar of strength for his family and close friends. More pragmatic than other 7s, he is well suited to the fast paced, competitive environment of the business world and may possess an entrepreneurial spirit.

Examples: Hugh Hefner, Steve Jobs, "Scarlett O'Hara" (Gone With the Wind), "James Bond"

Sexual 7: Fantasy and Grandiosity

Howls-Moving-Castle-BD_03.jpg

The darkest subtype of 7, the Sexual 7 possesses a somewhat brooding, melancholy quality which can resemble 4 (though he is, at this core, positive outlook and more self indulgent). He is likely to live out much of his time in indulging his vivid imagination and wild fantasies, mixed in with addictive tendencies and spurts of hedonism (similar to his Sp cousin, but often of a more narcotic nature which can resemble 9). If the Self Preservation 7 exhibits most visibly 7's fear of deprivation, the Sexual 7 most visibly displays 7's frustration; constantly longing for something out of reach, fantastical and out-of-this-world (King Arthur's search for the Holy Grail rings reminiscent of this subtype). Much of this frustration will be sexual in nature, as he is very picky when it comes to love and has probably invested countless hours dreaming up his ideal lover, for whom he searches desperately and fears he will never meet. Despite his darker, more introverted side, the Sexual 7 has a louder, more flamboyant side to his personality. He often possesses a distinct charisma and a flair for the dramatic and theatrical (which, at times, can border on delusional) which, coupled with his eclectic tastes and style, make him hard to miss in a crowd. Careers he is suited to include artistic pursuits, inspirational speaking and any career in which his unique perspective and insights can be put to use.
Examples: Lady Gaga, Lindsay Stirling, Salvador Dali, "Ariel" (The Little Mermaid)

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting read, thanks. Did you write this yourself?

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
According to these descriptions I should be an Sp. But that doesnt seem right:thinking:

And some So

So that leaves me with either so/sp or sp/so

badger055

Permabanned
Sounds like made up bullshit to me. Whoever wrote this doesn't even know what instincts are.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it sounds made up.

I think that the paragraph on so is good. I have read similar descriptions.

And I don't think the sp description differs from others too much either.

I have no comment on the sx description though, cause I don't have a deep understanding of them yet.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
OMG I'm gonna kill you for the One Direction picture. :laugh:

Social 7 sounds exactly like me. Spot on. I just don't have as much of a desire to give to society as you portray them. But other than that, yeah.

Also ignore the guy that says you don't know what you're talking about - counterphobic 6 talk. :alttongue: He ain't positive outlook at all.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as an sx/sp 7, these sound pretty good to me.

badger055

Permabanned
OMG I'm gonna kill you for the One Direction picture. :laugh:

Social 7 sounds exactly like me. Spot on. I just don't have as much of a desire to give to society as you portray them. But other than that, yeah.

Also ignore the guy that says you don't know what you're talking about - counterphobic 6 talk. :alttongue: He ain't positive outlook at all.

In what world are sx 7s brooding? It's bullshit and you know it.

Starry

In what world are sx 7s brooding? It's bullshit and you know it.

^^You're right badger.

I mean, I actually didn't read Elfboy's descriptions...I only looked at the pictures haha. But if Elfboy is using the word 'brooding' for 7 sx... You are right and he is right.

The 7 descriptions are way fucked-up in my opinion. Most of them have a 7w8 bias...but there are a few descriptions floating around that account for a certain anomaly...that I have only ever seen in the 7w6 sx...and yet it is always applied to all of 7 which I totally agree is complete bullshit. I don't fully understand why but 7w6 sx is very connected to 4 in some way...and I'm assuming 4w5 to be specific (as 7 is connected to 5.) And yes, 7w6 sx are known for fits of melancholy like 4s. Not to worry though because most 7w6 sx...are totally mistyped as 4s and 5s anyway.

Elfboy should be able to link you to one of these descriptions... but yah. No way is 7w8 sx brooding.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^You're right badger.
I mean, I actually didn't read Elfboy's descriptions...I only looked at the pictures haha. But if Elfboy is using the word 'brooding' for 7 sx... You are right and he is right.
The 7 descriptions are way fucked-up in my opinion. Most of them have a 7w8 bias...but there are a few descriptions floating around that account for a certain anomaly...that I have only ever seen in the 7w6 sx...and yet it is always applied to all of 7 which I totally agree is complete bullshit. I don't fully understand why but 7w6 sx is very connected to 4 in some way...and I'm assuming 4w5 to be specific (as 7 is connected to 5.) And yes, 7w6 sx are know for fits of melancholy like 4s. Not to worry though because most 7w6 sx...are totally mistyped as 4s and 5s anyway.
Elfboy should be able to link you to one of these descriptions... but yah. No way is 7w8 sx brooding.

7w8 bias? if anything, the Sexual and Social descriptions sounded much more 7w6.

Starry

7w8 bias? if anything, the Sexual and Social descriptions sounded much more 7w6.

You're interfering with me defending your 7w6 biased descriptions.

What I was saying to badger was most general, not-created-by-Elfboy-with-photos-of-anime-and-boy-bands 7 descriptions possess a 7w8 bias.

badger may not be familiar with this 7w6 sx melancholia trait because of the common, more 7w8 in nature understanding of 7. dude.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're interfering with me defending (why?) your 7w6 biased descriptions.
What I was saying to badger was most general, not-created-by-Elfboy-with-photos-of-anime-and-boy-bands 7 descriptions possess a 7w8 bias.
badger may not be familiar with this 7w6 melancholia trait because of the common, more 7w8 in nature understanding of 7. dude.

ah, it wasn't quite clear what you were talking about.

Starry

ah, it wasn't quite clear what you were talking about.

No I know I was just giving you a hard time. Off the top of my head I know oceanmoonshine had a 7 sx description that accounted at least in part for what you are calling 'brooding'...but they're no more I think (the site). You have to agree though that this is really only meant for 7w6 sx.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't know, i identify much more with the Sp definition, but this would be a first since in every other test and description i'm definitely Sx-first.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Social 7: Friendship and Community

120412-one-direction.png

When most people think 7, it is typically the Social 7 which comes to mind; however, it is in fact the counter type among the 7s. Less narcissistic than other 7s, the Social 7 turns her sensitivity to deprivation outwards, is usually willing to lend a helping hand and is often found in work involving social activism. Her charm, enthusiasm and ability to make people laugh means she is usually popular and has little trouble warming people up to her many ideas and contributions. Given the more spread out nature of the Social instinct, this subtype is the most traditionally "monkey brained" of the 7s, wanting to know what's going on everywhere and interested in a wide range of topics (she is often more intellectual than her Sp and Sx cousins). For the Social 7, friends are what life is all about. She is intensely loyal, even self sacrificing at times in a manner similar to 2 and 6. Common career fields in which the Social 7 feels at home are social activism, sales, entertainment and work involving children.

Examples: Steve Irwin, George Clooney, Richard Branson, "Esmeralda" (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Self Preservation 7: Hedonism and Acquisition:

article-2555515-1B57BF9800000578-934_634x782.jpg

The most ambitious and grounded of the 7s, this subtype is often mistaken for 3 or 8. The Self Preservation 7 wants what he wants and will stop at nothing until he gets his. It is in this subtype that 7's universal fear of deprivation manifests most tangibly. The world is his oyster and is willing to work long, hard hours in order to have the highest quality food, clothes and various other hedonistic pleasures. He often has a political bent, allying himself with kindred spirits with whom he can exchange resources and express his true, self indulgent nature without judgment or restriction. Ironically, this is possibly the most physically sexual subtype on the Enneagram, often viewing sex as a connoisseur views a fine wine or tea. However, despite a typically selfish bent, the Self Preservation 7 is very keen on protecting "his own" and often serves as a responsible provider and pillar of strength for his family and close friends. More pragmatic than other 7s, he is well suited to the fast paced, competitive environment of the business world and may possess an entrepreneurial spirit.

Examples: Hugh Hefner, Steve Jobs, "Scarlett O'Hara" (Gone With the Wind), "James Bond"

Sexual 7: Fantasy and Grandiosity

Howls-Moving-Castle-BD_03.jpg

The darkest subtype of 7, the Sexual 7 possesses a somewhat brooding, melancholy quality which can resemble 4 (though he is, at this core, positive outlook and more self indulgent). He is likely to live out much of his time in indulging his vivid imagination and wild fantasies, mixed in with addictive tendencies and spurts of hedonism (similar to his Sp cousin, but often of a more narcotic nature which can resemble 9). If the Self Preservation 7 exhibits most visibly 7's fear of deprivation, the Sexual 7 most visibly displays 7's frustration; constantly longing for something out of reach, fantastical and out-of-this-world (King Arthur's search for the Holy Grail rings reminiscent of this subtype). Much of this frustration will be sexual in nature, as he is very picky when it comes to love and has probably invested countless hours dreaming up his ideal lover, for whom he searches desperately and fears he will never meet. Despite his darker, more introverted side, the Sexual 7 has a louder, more flamboyant side to his personality. He often possesses a distinct charisma and a flair for the dramatic and theatrical (which, at times, can border on delusional) which, coupled with his eclectic tastes and style, make him hard to miss in a crowd. Careers he is suited to include artistic pursuits, inspirational speaking and any career in which his unique perspective and insights can be put to use.
Examples: Lady Gaga, Lindsay Stirling, Salvador Dali, "Ariel" (The Little Mermaid)

I see tons and tons of social in me, a medium amount of Sexual, and just barely a little Self-Pres...
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION]

yeghor

...Careers he is suited to include artistic pursuits, inspirational speaking and any career in which his unique perspective and insights can be put to use.

I was recently wondering what Lindsey Stirling's type may be...?

ENFP or ENFJ?

As for variants thing my guess is:

Sx = desire to not be bound (even by others') boundaries...A desire to expand out of one's bounds\body, conquer and multiply in the process...desire to expand energy...poor impulsive control

Sp = desire to remain disconnected from others...so as to preserve energy and conceal one's self...avoid harm/pain...inhibition...strong ego boundaries...

So = desire to connect with others...openness accompanied by vulnerability and weak personal boundaries...

If we liken this to a single cell organism:

Sx = a virus that infiltrates other cells to multiply...

Sp = a single-cell organism that has a thick outer skin...and no desire to connect with other cells...

So = a cell with thin outer skin that can connect with other cells to form a multi-cell organism...

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
I was recently wondering what Lindsey Stirling's type may be...?

ENFP or ENFJ?

As for variants thing my guess is:

Sx = desire to not be bound (even by others') boundaries...A desire to expand out of one's bounds\body, conquer and multiply in the process...desire to expand energy...poor impulsive control

Sp = desire to remain disconnected from others...so as to preserve energy and conceal one's self...avoid harm/pain...inhibition...strong ego boundaries...

So = desire to connect with others...openness accompanied by vulnerability and weak personal boundaries...

If we liken this to a single cell organism:

Sx = a virus that infiltrates other cells to multiply...

Sp = a single-cell organism that has a thick outer skin...and no desire to connect with other cells...

So = a cell with thin outer skin that can connect with other cells to form a multi-cell organism...

But then according to this im SX

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Sp 7 seems to fit me, even though the description may be slightly 7w8 and male biased.