User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Default 4w5 and 5w4: The Thinking/Feeling Types

Being both can be a challenge, at least this has been my experience. We are the "high F" thinkers, and the "high T" feelers of MBTI and can confuse the crap out of others and ourselves. We analyze our emotions to death, and our intense thoughts cause us to become emotionally volatile.

4w5 and 5w4 friends, please share your experience of this as I am quite done drowning in my own of late.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm unfamiliar with the 5, I haven't explored my wing, really. But I don't think it's wrong in saying that as a 4, at least, this can be very true for me. I think I was more afraid of my emotions than I needed to be, this intensified and set that feeling that my own impulses are dangerous.

They became a lot more manageable when I allowed myself to express them, sometimes in making bad decisions, sometimes in just writing things or being very honest to a friend.

Another thing that helps is to have perspective and a sense of humor about yourself. Humanity is a very silly thing, there's a farcical aspect to the fact that we feel like we are at the center of the universe in our personal drama when you consider that everybody else is as well. I love absurdity, it's not taken seriously enough. I am a Minister in the Church of the Subgenius.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Huh, @Qlip interesting. If you are unfamiliar with 5, then how do you know it is your wing? The fact that you haven't explored it causes me to think that you indeed may not have a 5 wing-- 5's and those with 5 components are puzzle solvers, ever curious and obsessively pulling topics and things apart to understand and analyze them. For someone with 4 and 5 components that would mean insatiable self analysis. I would expect someone that felt that to definitely know about their wing to a deep and complete extent.

I also find it curious that you were afraid of your emotions, I see 4's in quite the opposite way really. I indulge in and freely let my emotions reign when at average health. Only in health am I capable of self control and maintaining boundaries. All in all, I don't think I have ever feared my emotions, though I have definitely felt shame about them.

Would you expand? As of now, I think perhaps you are a bit mistyped.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    esfj
    Enneagram
    3w8

@small.wonder

Can you explain what you mean by "high F" thinking and "high T" feeling? Surely you don't mean thinkers who have a lot of feelings or feelers who have a lot of thoughts.
    3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

3w2 6w7 8w7

"Verbally adept and a good reader of people and situations, you have the ability to identify unjust authority, rebel against tyranny and verbally spar against it."

"The 368 is very dynamic. This is the toughest fighter on the Enneagram."

The Justice Fighter

3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

@the resident Sure! I meant that 4+5 people tend to test pretty evenly on the Thinking/Feeling element of MBTI because we are a heart/head combo. For instance, I test almost evenly but Feeling wins out by like 5 points usually, so I'm a "high T" Feeling type (or that's how I think of it anyway). I suppose another way to denote that is to write my type with a lowercase "f" because it's not as strong of a preference. I hope that helps!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@small.wonder

I suppose I've just assumed that I'm a 4w5 because I tend to have analytical language patterns and I am a computer programmer. I wonder if my fear of my feelings has something to do with maybe having 9 in my tritype.

I indulge my feelings, but only within myself, I have a tendency to keep them under wraps when it comes to other people. When in bad health, I tend to think of myself as a monster, or having a disease, so I quarantine myself.

MBTI
    esfj
    Enneagram
    3w8

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    When in bad health, I tend to think of myself as a monster, or having a disease, so I quarantine myself.
    Why not give in?
    3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

3w2 6w7 8w7

"Verbally adept and a good reader of people and situations, you have the ability to identify unjust authority, rebel against tyranny and verbally spar against it."

"The 368 is very dynamic. This is the toughest fighter on the Enneagram."

The Justice Fighter

3w2 6w7 8w7
    3w2 6w7 8w7

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by the resident View Post
    Why not give in?
    The world is bad enough without me dumping my problems into it. But I'm starting to think this is exactly what the world is for.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    864 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    4w5 and 5w4 friends, please share your experience of this as I am quite done drowning in my own of late.
    On tests that give percentages, my results usually fall squarely in Feeling territory, generally 60% or higher. I don’t experience confusion between Thinking or Feeling when it comes to MBTI, nor do I feel tension between my analytical and emotional aspects. Fi fits me perfectly. It’s not a “high T” version. It’s still Fi.

My uncertainty is about 5w4 and whether it fits. It doesn't help that stereotypes probably lead me astray. Whether I’m 4w5 or 5w4 doesn’t change how strongly I relate to Feeling, although it might adjust my view on my priorities.

Is being emotionally volatile something 4w5s or 5w4s are known for?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Is being emotionally volatile something 4w5s or 5w4s are known for?
    I think 4s (being part of the reactive triad) are known for being more emotionally volatile, as well as for tending to intensify and dwell in their emotions. 5s (being part of the competency triad) tend to avoid overly intense emotional states, and tend to withdraw and intellectualize. 5s are sometimes known for being calm in a crisis, as well.

Still, I think it certainly can vary. Some 4s are more internal about their emotional intensity, and those 5s that are not very emotionally tuned in can habitually come across as harshly critical. Certainly some of those who identify as 5s here seem both fairly verbally aggressive and reactive.