Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    really heavy administrative document and strict rule-following procedures/deadlines load. it's the majority of my job, and i'm too much of a perceiver for that.
    I see.

I love the irony. This is how I know I'm a 6. LOL. It's cause I want more rules and procedures at my job

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I'm heavily influenced by 7. I experience this problem. I will share my story.

First, I have the same trouble with deciding what the crap I wanna do with my life. It's been this way since I was a kid--I always envied the kids who wanted to be "a doctor" or "an artist". How am I supposed to choose a career when literally everything seems interesting, but nothing totally captures my passion?
    Exactly!!

I try to think back to when I was a younger...and I just cannot remember ever thinking I was going to be in a certain field or career.

For a long time, I was terrified of becoming an adult because then I'd have to make these decisions and permanently lock myself into this or that crap job in corporate America and start worrying about IRAs and mortages and whatnot.

My current solution is to be a TESOL teacher--that means I travel from country to country teaching my native language. If you don't mind living out of a suitcase, this is fairly ideal--you can stay as long as you want if something captures your interest, or leave if you get tired of it. It leaves me time for other activities, like traveling, writing, and online forums. You can't really get anywhere in life, but you have the freedom to switch careers, too, and have a diversity of experience to offer after several years of this.

I think the key for 7s is that it's OK experiment around. You shouldn't force yourself into any one thing, or you'll start getting fears of missing out or wondering if you should have done X instead. The idea is to let a natural progression happen--go deeply into your interests and let your life unfold its own fascinating story. You don't have to stick with just one thing.
    I actually am moving towards that too. (the living out of a suitcase kinda thing)

I think it's the only way I'm going to be happy. Because I can still have hope that there's more potential int he future.

This last sentence in bold, I am going to want to keep in mind. I forget that wise advice, very easily. I forget to let things unfold.

Thank you for your insight!!
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I think I'm really experiencing my 7 wing more and more each day.

It's to the point that I can't tell if I'm 6 or 7 anymore.

And I am trying to find purpose in life. I know, I know....I am the only one that can ultimately figure it out.

But I don't know how anyone with 7 in their enneatype picks just one thing!?

I know I need variety. lol But that's the only thing I know.

Can you share your stories of how you figured out what you enjoy the most in life?

Or even if you know a 7 that is happy with their job or career???
    I just have a 7 wing and/or 7 fix I think. But I've seen myself change interest now and then, not everyday, like once in a couple of years. How I get into something, I don't know, I just run into the opportunity and then just "do". I again don't know how I do the switch to something else lol.. it usually happens after the previous thing was mostly completed and exhausted. I think the point I'm trying to convey is that there is no need to worry in advance, if you keep up the interest with life in general, you will always get into something nice.

Btw, so I'm sure I have some 7 in my type but I'm just fine with picking ONE thing, for a period of time, as specified above. I have a pretty one-track mind so we don't share the exact same issues. I still hope I managed to help with the above.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    I just have a 7 wing and/or 7 fix I think. But I've seen myself change interest now and then, not everyday, like once in a couple of years. How I get into something, I don't know, I just run into the opportunity and then just "do". I again don't know how I do the switch to something else lol.. it usually happens after the previous thing was mostly completed and exhausted. I think the point I'm trying to convey is that there is no need to worry in advance, if you keep up the interest with life in general, you will always get into something nice.

Btw, so I'm sure I have some 7 in my type but I'm just fine with picking ONE thing, for a period of time, as specified above. I have a pretty one-track mind so we don't share the exact same issues. I still hope I managed to help with the above.
    I think I'm a really determined and have a gift for focusing. So I'm not sure if I'm worried about doing just one thing. But it's more like deciding what to do.

I was in a really weird place (over thinking too much) when I was asking this question. lol

Sort of thinking about what the hell is life all about. You know, like what are we doing all this for anyways. Like I get the point of my life and it's purpose. But ...what's the big scheme of things. Over all. For all of life.

I can't even describe it now. lol

It's too abstract for me to even explain.

Pretty much what I took from you and the other people that posted, is that we have this desire to have a plan for everything.

But it doesn't all have to be planned out.

Which is kind of a relieving thought.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I purposefully went for a skillset that should give me enough flexibility (economics + maths + languages + programming). I don't want to settle down on a very specific career until I'm 35 - considering that I'll have to work until I'm 70-72, I truly feel like I need to explore my options and find a job where I can be successful while being myself and using my natural strenghts (of course, it has to pay good money ), rather than drudging along in a very secure setting. Idealistic? Perhaps, we'll see.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Since I am a 1 (which in many ways is sort of the inverse of 7), I have had the complete opposite experience. I totally understand and sympathize with those who can't easily settle on a career and I totally get it, but I can't empathize with it at all.

I have known I wanted to be a scientist since age 4, I knew I wanted to be a chemist since age 10, I knew I wanted to be an organic chemist and get a PhD since age 16. I am now 24, and doing exactly that. I have always known what I wanted to do, I have always had an explicit (and largely implicit) path to take with a series of goalposts, checkpoints and markers to meet along the way. I can't imagine being any other way. If I truly can't decide on something, I force it and simply make something happen, because eventually my mind will settle. If I ever have a situation where have many options, my response more along the lines of "too many things! Must eliminate things now!", and then I will just chuck things for the sake of having a goal.

So ultimately, it's actually kind of facinating to see people who waffle this much and actually want to be able to waffle, because it's the complete opposite of what I am.

Some of this I just want to say "I... what, how?!", but it's still interesting to read. Carry on
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I think I'm a really determined and have a gift for focusing. So I'm not sure if I'm worried about doing just one thing. But it's more like deciding what to do.
    Right you're not a core 7 so no issues with focus

I was in a really weird place (over thinking too much) when I was asking this question. lol

Sort of thinking about what the hell is life all about. You know, like what are we doing all this for anyways. Like I get the point of my life and it's purpose. But ...what's the big scheme of things. Over all. For all of life.

I can't even describe it now. lol

It's too abstract for me to even explain.
    uh honestly I find that a pretty boring topic. I mean, this stuff about "the point of life" in general. It just leads to nihilism, I prefer living life to nihilism.

Then perhaps you didn't mean it like that

If you meant it in terms of developing some vision for a goal then I can relate.

Pretty much what I took from you and the other people that posted, is that we have this desire to have a plan for everything.

But it doesn't all have to be planned out.

Which is kind of a relieving thought.
    I don't actually have that desire too much so yes my point was it's not needed and I'm glad if it gives you relief

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I purposefully went for a skillset that should give me enough flexibility (economics + maths + languages + programming). I don't want to settle down on a very specific career until I'm 35 - considering that I'll have to work until I'm 70-72, I truly feel like I need to explore my options and find a job where I can be successful while being myself and using my natural strenghts (of course, it has to pay good money ), rather than drudging along in a very secure setting. Idealistic? Perhaps, we'll see.
    I think it's alright, not too idealistic Interesting those are mainly the areas I'm interested in myself & where I developed some skills (well except maths major in university, I quit that right away, long story & I didn't get to study economics either, just had the thought to)

A friend of mine did economics at university and got self-taught programming skills and it was a very good choice for him too, especially financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I have known I wanted to be a scientist since age 4
    Hey you got a story on that? How you decided on it? Do you remember?

I knew I wanted to be a chemist since age 10, I knew I wanted to be an organic chemist and get a PhD since age 16. I am now 24, and doing exactly that. I have always known what I wanted to do, I have always had an explicit (and largely implicit) path to take with a series of goalposts, checkpoints and markers to meet along the way. I can't imagine being any other way. If I truly can't decide on something, I force it and simply make something happen, because eventually my mind will settle. If I ever have a situation where have many options, my response more along the lines of "too many things! Must eliminate things now!", and then I will just chuck things for the sake of having a goal.

So ultimately, it's actually kind of facinating to see people who waffle this much and actually want to be able to waffle, because it's the complete opposite of what I am.

Some of this I just want to say "I... what, how?!", but it's still interesting to read. Carry on
    I totally relate to the bolded.

The rest, not so much, oh well, good thing you always knew what you wanted.