• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] In need of advice: how do you get yourself focus?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
(Sorry if this has been done before)

It's getting to the point where I'm turning in really low quality work for my classes because I spend so much more time goofing off that I start it really late and only due to a sense of urgency that I won't get enough time to sleep if I don't finish it right then and there.

Even when I tell myself that I have to focus this time so I don't screw up, I checking back in on somewhere that I'm engaged in to see if anything new has happened (here, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube, etc). Then I end up thinking that doing one little thing won't hurt but eventually it piles up and then I'm up late at night miserable and stressed. And then I stay up even later to finish the work and sleep deprive myself by doing so.

It's especially bad on YouTube because I'll suddenly remember a video (usually Kelly Clarkson-related) that I wanted to look up a while ago but forgot to and then I spend time watching videos. Today I spent time watching this really funny and cute couple playing video games. It was fun to watch but now I'm kind of regretting it. Also I'm taking time out of my work to make this thread haha... :blush:

Also this is kind of more of a 7 so/sx-ish question (mentioning [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] because of the 7 wing and [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] because of the 7 soul child) but how do you pass up on social activities even though it could cause you inconveniences in the future? On Sunday I turned in really horrible work because I got a last minute invite to go with some friends to visit the Metropolitan Museum. On a much smaller scale, even someone messaging me on Skype or on the phone can be distracting (damn you [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]!) but I don't want to log off or turn off my phone because I might miss out on something important. So the whole social realm of my life can be really pulling me away from responsibilities I should really be taking care of.

Listening to music to help me zone out tends to work the opposite direction because I end up singing, dancing, or staring off into the night lights thinking my life, what I want from it, and what's in store for it. As an alternative I'm hoping listening to this will help: http://coffitivity.com/

Or maybe that website that loops Animal Crossing music, with the song depending on the hour.

Oh god tangents.

Anyway thanks for listening!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so. hard.

headphones help me a lot, but not always. i go somewhere a lot of the time, to a coffee shop or something to do work. it helps me to be somewhere else all set up. um, turning things off actually does not help me because i start to feel like i don't have escapes if i need one. really just getting myself on a roll however i can, taking breaks to talk to people or do whatever throughout, and trudging through is the best i've got.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
so. hard.

headphones help me a lot, but not always. i go somewhere a lot of the time, to a coffee shop or something to do work. it helps me to be somewhere else all set up. um, turning things off actually does not help me because i start to feel like i don't have escapes if i need one. really just getting myself on a roll however i can, taking breaks to talk to people or do whatever throughout, and trudging through is the best i've got.

Hmm, going to a coffee shop on campus and doing work there doesn't sound like a bad idea. :) Then I could get my work done during the day too so my nights would be free! As for headphones, right now the AC site has been helping (although I'm posting here to be fair hehe).

I appreciate the ideas, Nic. :heart: Hopefully I'll be able to find a way that works.

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], how much adjustment time did you need after you started going off to school on your own? I'm used to my ENFJ mom constantly nagging me to do it. While I resented it at the time, I almost sort of miss it now because it kept me in line. Now I have so much freedom I'm becoming too loose for my own good.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is my life. I'm not a 7, but I have been dealing with ADHD for 21 years so I can definitely relate. Setting deadlines for myself helps a lot. So does going to coffee shops. For some reason I can NOT focus in my apartment. But yeah, goals really help, so do rewards. Like, after two pages you can watch an episode of Friends, sort of thing.

I have also just accepted that I need breaks. Ooh, my INFP 4w3 friend has a horrible time with procrastinating so she makes me change her Facebook password for when she needs to stuff done.

badger055

Permabanned
First realize that kelly clarkson is not that talented then you have more time for video game videos.

Also people with Ne can learn to focus by using long term repetition.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
First realize that kelly clarkson is not that talented then you have more time for video game videos.

Also people with Ne can learn to focus by using long term repetition.

I'm guessing you mean that you think subjectively Kelly Clarkson is not that talented, because objectively she is very skilled as a vocalist. Good job for basically just telling me to waste my time somewhere else instead of actually giving me a productive answer though.

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], how much adjustment time did you need after you started going off to school on your own? I'm used to my ENFJ mom constantly nagging me to do it. While I resented it at the time, I almost sort of miss it now because it kept me in line. Now I have so much freedom I'm becoming too loose for my own good.

I kinda feel all warm and happy inside in the knowing that you saw me as an individual that may possibly have an enlightened response to the above... But the truth of it is... I'm the last person that can assist you in this regard. Relatively speaking haha...I don't provide a lot of concrete details about my life...for a few reasons including being completely unable to explain how it was even intellectually possible for me type myself as anything other than e7.

Have you seen the movie Braveheart? I don't really know all of what went on in that film haha...but the end scene... they have Wallace on the rack. And there's a pause because the English councilmen believe they have convinced him to admit to treason. What he actually says though is...'more weight.' <-That's me. To this day I have made no adjustments because I don't feel I should have to for a structure I do not believe in in the first place.

I dropped out of University when I was 18 after the first quarter. And each day thereafter I would get up and say..."what do I want to do today?" I have travelled all over the world. I have already crammed 4 lifetimes or so into my one. I have had the most amazing experiences, beautiful experiences...breathtaking... I wouldn't even know where to begin...I don't know how I've been so fortunate. But yah...I took the whole carpe diem thing literally. And I have had so much fun and regret nothing. There's a price though to being as rebellious as I am...that I can't imagine you being willing to pay social dom :wink: But I love you for temporarily believing I was an upstanding citizen that actually owns some sort of timepiece :wubbie:

You should invoke the power of the Sun God though... and ask [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] if he has any suggestions. I've learned so much from his wisdom.

edit: I should say that I did go back to University and earned my degrees. I just am one of those people...so determined not to have structure...I think I just taught myself how to absorb learning. I am one of those students that never studied or read or bought books even. I excelled in learning environments. Just not in the corporate one apparently :)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is my life. I'm not a 7, but I have been dealing with ADHD for 21 years so I can definitely relate.

My ESFJ bestie I told you about has ADHD too! This is cray.

Setting deadlines for myself helps a lot.

Ahh, see my problem is that I do set mental deadlines for myself but I end up extending them due to laziness. :( So really the real deadline is when I realize it's late so I have to start my work to get the minimal amount of proper sleep.

So does going to coffee shops. For some reason I can NOT focus in my apartment.

Focusing in my room can be so hard because there's so much at my disposal! I actually went to get coffee today actually and finished all my work before dinner. It was probably the greatest feeling of relief I've ever felt in a long time. Relaxation is the greatest. :wubbie:

I have also just accepted that I need breaks. Ooh, my INFP 4w3 friend has a horrible time with procrastinating so she makes me change her Facebook password for when she needs to stuff done.

Wait, that's an AMAZING idea. I'll have to have my friend do this for me and Tumblr/YouTube. Thanks for the advice I'm totally doing this in the future!

I kinda feel all warm and happy inside in the knowing that you saw me as an individual that may possibly have an enlightened response to the above... But the truth of it is... I'm the last person that can assist you in this regard. Relatively speaking haha...I don't provide a lot of concrete details about my life...for a few reasons including being completely unable to explain how it was even intellectually possible for me type myself as anything other than e7.

Have you seen the movie Braveheart? I don't really know all of what went on in that film haha...but the end scene... they have Wallace on the rack. And there's a pause because the English councilmen believe they have convinced him to admit to treason. What he actually says though is...'more weight.' <-That's me. To this day I have made no adjustments because I don't feel I should have to for a structure I do not believe in in the first place.

I dropped out of University when I was 18 after the first quarter. And each day thereafter I would get up and say..."what do I want to do today?" I have travelled all over the world. I have already crammed 4 lifetimes or so into my one. I have had the most amazing experiences, beautiful experiences...breathtaking... I wouldn't even know where to begin...I don't know how I've been so fortunate. But yah...I took the whole carpe diem thing literally. And I have had so much fun and regret nothing. There's a price though to being as rebellious as I am...that I can't imagine you being willing to pay social dom :wink: But I love you for temporarily believing I was an upstanding citizen that actually owns some sort of timepiece :wubbie:

You should invoke the power of the Sun God though... and ask [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] if he has any suggestions. I've learned so much from his wisdom.

Awww, that's admirable though. I've always dreamed of exploring the world and living millions of lifetimes in one. Hopefully I'll be able to do that someday, but you're right. I have people I want to keep in touch with and people I want to stick around with me. Especially in college when no one is really close with each other yet, I don't want to leave while everyone else is around making new friendships. I'll be left behind and then I won't find a good friend here on my own! But especially the freedom of waking up and having endless possibilities of things to do without limitations. I'm really jealous on that part. At least on weekends I have that.

And asking Halla's a great idea. Waiting on his feedback now. :yes:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My ESFJ bestie I told you about has ADHD too! This is cray.

WEIRD! That is super crazy. I wish I had an ENFP bestie, then it would just be ridiculous. But, my besties are ISFJ and INFP.

Starry

Awww, that's admirable though. I've always dreamed of exploring the world and living millions of lifetimes in one. Hopefully I'll be able to do that someday, but you're right. I have people I want to keep in touch with and people I want to stick around with me. Especially in college when no one is really close with each other yet, I don't want to leave while everyone else is around making new friendships. I'll be left behind and then I won't find a good friend here on my own! But especially the freedom of waking up and having endless possibilities of things to do without limitations. I'm really jealous on that part. At least on weekends I have that.

And asking Halla's a great idea. Waiting on his feedback now. :yes:

Umm sure it's admirable haha. I mean, it's sometimes difficult for me to access these understandings of myself in my mind...but the qualities I possess that allowed me to do what I did/do...I know I value these very much. But I'm so impressed with you.

Perhaps it is the case I've completely forgotten what I was like when I was your age... but I really don't think I was as mature and self-aware as you are today.

Anyway, there's so much more I could say but I'm running out the door. I just needed to turn over this idea/suggestion to you before it was lost.
I know there are apps that you can program...that may in fact function similar to an ENFJ Mom (I believe they are for individuals with ADD maybe? Have you heard of these? Shit I need one. Perhaps we should develop an app together called 'the ENFJ Mom.')

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It's easy, all I need is pressure and I focus.

I'm not necessarily the strongest horse out of the gate, but close to the finish line I always turn it on.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I'm not necessarily the strongest horse out of the gate, but close to the finish line I always turn it on.

That's generally how I operate too. :thinking: Once I realize the deadline is in less than 24 hours I just focus and do what I can within that time frame. But my work probably isn't as great of quality because I'm more worried about just getting it out of the way than actually properly finishing it. That's why I want to try to start finding new ways of working - to get better grades on assignments and also to snag me some relaxation time during the night. So far going to the coffee shop works (there's a big window with a view of the entire NYC skyline there; it's great). Now it's just a matter of sticking to that process and maybe experimenting with other ideas too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(Sorry if this has been done before)

Everything has been done before during a previous iteration of the universe, no apologies needed! :cheese:

A quick heads up, my advice is usually (a) very direct, and (b) from the perspective of "if this were happening to me, how would I deal with it?' - so please (1) don't think I'm being snipey, if anything I write comes across that way that wasn't my intention, and (2) don't think of my replies as me telling you what to do - I'm not that way.

I'll gladly share what I've learned about managing my time, overcoming procrastination, and learning to schedule and prioritize my assignments with you, because it's been a lifelong battle for me and if I can spare you any of the grief I caused myself with similar experiences that will make me happy. :)

Here we go!! :run:

Chanaynay said:
It's getting to the point where I'm turning in really low quality work for my classes because I spend so much more time goofing off that I start it really late and only due to a sense of urgency that I won't get enough time to sleep if I don't finish it right then and there.

At your age I had the same problem. :yes:
20 years later I still have the same problem. :shock:
This shit happens to me even if I have Adderall in my system!! :wtf: :doh:

Regardless, have no fear. There are ways to develop the discipline and time management skills that you need to overcome your issues with procrastination. Everyone had to learn this at some point in their lives, Bro.

You are not defective, you're human and 20 years old - alot of life and the world in general are new to you, and thus a myriad of interesting experiences are constantly enticing you to delay fulfilling your responsibilities. That's how it felt to me anyway. :newwink:

Chanaynay said:
Even when I tell myself that I have to focus this time so I don't screw up, I checking back in on somewhere that I'm engaged in to see if anything new has happened (here, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube, etc).* Then I end up thinking that doing one little thing won't hurt but eventually it piles up and then I'm up late at night miserable and stressed.* And then I stay up even later to finish the work and sleep deprive myself by doing so.

My advice:

(1) Disconnect your PC from the Internet. I'll bet you can do alot, if not most if your assignments without a web connection. Draft it in MS Word and/or MS Excel, and copy it into whatever you need to later in order to submit it. You can even do your research online, save your works cited + the URL where you found it in a MS Word document, and then you can refer to it OFFLINE and work without distraction.

(2) Turn off your smart phone. Seriously. You will get any and all important texts, voicemails, emails when you're done with your homework.

Chanaynay said:
It's especially bad on YouTube because I'll suddenly remember a video (usually Kelly Clarkson-related) that I wanted to look up a while ago but forgot to and then I spend time watching videos.* Today I spent time watching this really funny and cute couple playing video games.* It was fun to watch but now I'm kind of regretting it.* Also I'm taking time out of my work to make this thread haha... :blush:

Ummm, yeah - disconnecting your Internet connection when you need to work is probably full of WIN. :yesss:

Chanaynay said:
Also this is kind of more of a 7 so/sx-ish question because of the 7 soul child) but how do you pass up on social activities even though it could cause you inconveniences in the future?*

A few things help me in this regard:

(1) Understand the concept of "opportunity cost"

(2) Recognize that there is always something going on/fun to do, but that your assignments are of very specific scope, and have s non-negotiable due date.

(3) You're a 7, Bro, you can make fun shit happen anytime, anyplace - "it's what we do."* :banana2:

Chanaynay said:
On Sunday I turned in really horrible work because I got a last minute invite to go with some friends to visit the Metropolitan Museum.*

Learn from that.
The museum is open all the time.
Your friends would likely go again later, and if not that's Ok too.

Chanaynay said:
On a much smaller scale, even someone messaging me on Skype or on the phone can be distracting (damn you but I don't want to log off or turn off my phone because I might miss out on something important.*

Your priorities are inverted:

(1) Your school work is your top priority.

(2) Turn. Off. The. Fucking. Smartphone! :BangHead: :laugh:

Chanaynay said:
So the whole social realm of my life can be really pulling me away from responsibilities I should really be taking care of.

You are in control of that, that is your choice to make.

Honestly, if you are totally not into school right now, consider taking a semester off. Don't tank your grades by excessively socializing, seriously.

I had a very similar conversation with my niece a few weeks ago. She is your age and going through the same thing. She told me something I didn't expect to hear. She told me that she "felt like she had to go to school" - that she "had no choice." There is alot of family pressure & societal expectation about young people going to school and getting a degree. The reality is though that everyone's path is different. So, pleasr think in terms of what you NEED to do for yourself, and ultimately for your education.

You can't just be enrolled. You have to go to class, you must take notes, you must fo your homework, and you must sufficiently prepare for your exams. You can't just "show up." You must commit to the work, and if you can't thrn you're wasting time and money, IMHO.

Chanaynay said:
Listening to music to help me zone out tends to work the opposite direction because I end up singing, dancing, or staring off into the night lights thinking my life, what I want from it, and what's in store for it.*

Ummm, no music for you! :shock:* :laugh:

Chanaynay said:
Oh god tangents.

Welcome to my world... Muhaa haa... :horror:

so. hard.

headphones help me a lot, but not always.

I'm like this too.
Headphones help me when ambient noise is distracting.
My noise (music) is known to me and thus not a disteaction in these cases.*

five sounds said:
i go somewhere a lot of the time, to a coffee shop or something to do work. it helps me to be somewhere else all set up. um, turning things off actually does not help me because i start to feel like i don't have escapes if i need one. really just getting myself on a roll however i can, taking breaks to talk to people or do whatever throughout, and trudging through is the best i've got.

I've tried that too with varying success. I'm kind of large, and prone to "sprawling" across furniture to get comfy. At Starbucks that could get awkward/rude quickly so I usually go to a restaurant and get a booth, tell the server I'll be hanging out for a bit after my meal to study, and tip them $20 upfront for camping in their section. Then I'm comfy. :)

Have you seen the movie Braveheart?* I don't really know all of what went on in that film haha...but the end scene...* they have Wallace on the rack.* And there's a pause because the English councilmen believe they have convinced him to admit to treason.* What he actually says though is...'more weight.'* <-That's me.*

Most epic cinematic self-comparison EVARRRRR!!! :rock:

Starry said:
You should invoke the power of the Sun God though... and ask [MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] if he has any suggestions.* I've learned so much from his wisdom.

The Sun God always manifests when summoned by the Goddess of the Moon. :solidarity:
That's how the E7 sky rolls! Teamwork!! :hifive:

Thank you for your kind words and support. I'm a big fan of your wisdom too, Starry. For all things you write about, you say it like it is, and your words are straight from your heart. You integrate so much content and so much reflection into writings that are cohesive, enjoyable to read and enlightening. Keep kicking ass and taking names, my friend!! :rock:

Starry said:
edit: I should say that I did go back to University and earned my degrees.* I just am one of those people...so determined not to have structure

I too avoid structure whenever possible. The one major exception is when I had professors who were great lecturers. I'm an auditory learner, and if someone is a good speaker, and delivering the course material in an engaging way - I'm there. I'd much rather be entertained while being educated, than be tortured with the drudgery of reading copious books, journals, etc. :newwink:

Starry said:
...I think I just taught myself how to absorb learning.* I am one of those students that never studied or read or bought books even.* I excelled in learning environments.

I did that too, at least I tried to, all the time. Sounds like you have a natural knack for that, which is way cool. :nice:

Sometimes my attempts as such were fruitful :cheese:* - and other times they were - ummm - uhhh yeah, maybe not so good? :doh: :ack!:

Starry said:
Just not in the corporate one apparently :)

I detest corporate environments too. I am way too direct and unable to hide the look on my face when I think someone is totally full of shit. :tongue10: It's a daily battle for me, but I factor out the BS as much as I can by taking on assignnents that are creative and collaborative/inter-departmental. That way I get to set the agendas, run the meetings, and entertain the project team instead of bore them to death.

The cold hard truth though is that the only way I survive corporate environments is to find jobs in the the department of militant outcasts that no one wants to deal with, but everybody needs something from. Information technology, baby! YEEE-HAAAHHH!!! :weirdbanana: :bananachamp: :moonwalk:

LMAO!! :rotfl:

Chanaynay said:
Ahh, see my problem is that I do set mental deadlines for myself but I end up extending them due to laziness. :(*

Once the work is done, you are free. Start early and have the rest of the day to do as you please! :)

Chanaynay said:
So really the real deadline is when I realize it's late so I have to start my work to get the minimal amount of proper sleep.

Without sleep, your next day is half wasted. You are just not fully cognizant of what you need to be. I've fought this for years. I've had insomnia since my late teens. My brain is constantly thinking, and it's all good stuff, none of it is scary/anxious stuff it just WONT SHUT OFF. :cheese:

Now I'm a big believer of sleep hygeine. You should check it out, it's so easy and works great.* offtobed:

http://umm.edu/programs/sleep/patients/sleep-hygiene

..and...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_hygiene

Chanaynay said:
Focusing in my room can be so hard because there's so much at my disposal!*

I have the same issue.
My solution is to have a "man cave" (referred to by mortals as a "study") - that way my mind knows that space is for work, and tends to wander less...

Chanaynay said:
Wait, that's an AMAZING idea.* I'll have to have my friend do this for me and Tumblr/YouTube.* Thanks for the advice I'm totally doing this in the future!

Just turn off your wireless Internet adapter!! Aaaarrgghhhh!! :9436:

Chanaynay said:
And asking Halla's a great idea.* Waiting on his feedback now. :yes:

Sorry it took forever for me to reply!! :doh:

I've been busy and distracted & stuff, hopefully late is better than never!! :newwink:

I know there are apps that you can program...that may in fact function similar to an ENFJ Mom (I believe they are for individuals with ADD maybe?* Have you heard of these?* Shit I need one.* Perhaps we should develop an app together called 'the ENFJ Mom.')

Hell to the yeah on that!!
Let's fire up a kickstarter fundraiser for research & development!! :yays:

I relate to this alot too. When tine ia running out I get pissed, and fortunately I'm able to re-direct that anger into focus and motivation. :hifive:

That's generally how I operate too. :thinking: Once I realize the deadline is in less than 24 hours I just focus and do what I can within that time frame.* But my work probably isn't as great of quality because I'm more worried about just getting it out of the way than actually properly finishing it.* That's why I want to try to start finding new ways of working - to get better grades on assignments and also to snag me some relaxation time during the night.*

The bolded part is key, you have to try out different techniques, you have to ditch what doesn't work and keep moving forward with the tools you have that help you. AND - You have to keep doing this, not just in college, but all through yout life.

Dude, there are days when I've done everything I knew how to do right and still couldn't focus on jack shit. Even after eating Adderall like Pez my brain was not engaging with what I "had to be doing" at that time. There are alot of X-factors, or "unknowns" that can wreak havoc on your motivation and/or ability to focus.

An example of one of these that smacks me upside the head a few times a year no matter how hard I try to keel tabs on it is "being emotionally aware" - that is simply not easy for me. It takes me longer than the average person to "feel stressed" by most things, and so by the time it actually registers my stress level might have gone past the tipping point, and by the time I figure out "Oh shit, I'm stressed out right now!" :shock: I might have gone DAYS not paying attention to shit and hardly been aware of it.

But like I said, you will find what you need within yourself to reach the level of motivation and productivity you need in order to achieve your goals. My two favorites so far as self-motivating factors are (1) doing thingd/work that allows me to usr my natural strengths, and (2) working on thingd that I identify with, and thay I believe in. Yeah, my job is in many ways a corporate IT job, BUT - it's one that allows me to use my natural strengths, and it also contributes to something I believe in, and that is ensuring that vulnerable people have access to good quality health care. So, I have created balance whete there was once chaos, but it's still a struggle each day to do all I need to do, and each day I wake up and plow forward, and try to make today a little more productive and focused than the day before. :)

I hope my ramblings made some sense. :happy:

Good luck, and have a great evening!!

:hug:

-Halla74

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6109]Halla74[/MENTION] LMAO!

I'm seriously cracking up because I am currently arriving at a restaurant to do exactly what you said.
What difference we have in body size I'm pretty sure I make up for in sprawl. When I work, I'm everywhere! Currently setting up shop in a booth at a small low traffic restaurant, ordering dinner, informing the waiter of my intention to work here, and prepared to tip accordingly.

:hifive: 7s, UNITE!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NOOOO WAAAYY!!! :rock: LMAO!!

That is so fraking AWSM-hilarious!! :rotfl:

7s gotta' study - WOOT!! :woot:

:solidarity:

-Halla74

G

Glycerine

Same here. I need the possibility of "failure" to motivate me.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same here. I need the possibility of "failure" to motivate me.

I wish this worked for me. I need the "probability" of failure to get me going at times.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeesh, somehow I missed this mention, sorry [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] :heart:

Honestly for me it's been a long road of fucking up so many times that I've finally learned that the consequences of not doing my work (or not doing it until THE last minute) really aren't worth the pleasure of putting it off. I do feel like I've picked up some strategies along the way, though, which I'll list:

- Getting into the "good student" mindset. This is sort of stupid, but it makes it like a bit of a game. I get in some comfy-but-put-together clothes, set myself up a little workstation, get all my little pens and pencils, get fresh new paper, write neatly, and get into the "game" of doing my work. I imagine myself as a good little student and entertain all the nice images that go along with that, like old-school cute uniforms and the TV and book good-student characters I idolized and the image of myself being very successful at the end of the road.

- Being well-rested, having my materials organized, having fresh new school supplies, having nice music on if it's a subject I can listen to music while working on. Just creating an environment that is conducive to work.

- Getting away from my laptop if possible, or shutting off the internet. If it's getting really bad go unplug the modem and set up your workstation far away from it so you won't want to walk all the way over to plug it back in. Use your own laziness to your advantage.

- Not taking breaks until I am done. Some people say it's better to take 10 minute breaks every 50 minutes. I say my 10 minute break turns into a 2 hour break and I'm much better off just powering through til the finish.

- Making it an experience. Like how going to the coffeehouse has been mentioned. I also really love going to a small quiet restaurant during the off-hours, and I'll just get a few drinks to sip on or a little snack while I enjoy the ambience there and do my work, and then if I get hungry I can get some food and just keep on plugging. When I was living at college I used to love going to the caf around 2 pm or so and just hanging out at a table and looking out the windows and getting work done while nomming on a bowl of pudding or the like.

- Schedule your work around the times with the most fun possibilities. If I have a day off and my boyfriend's coming home at 4, I try to get my work done before that so that when he does, we can do whatever fun thing comes to mind instead of me miserably whining and slogging through my homework while he hangs out on the couch or, worse, goes to have a fun adventure without me. Which relates directly to:

- Getting it done early. I know, cringe. But seriously, if you can set yourself up a nice relaxed time and make an experience of it, you can spend a really pleasant Tuesday afternoon doing a bit of homework while everyone else is busy with work or school anyway and then when Friday rolls around and everyone's ready to hang out, you're free.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Welcome to my world. Because anything is better than grunt work.

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice--for me the problem is breaking the psychic resistance to doing it and getting started rather than the work itself. It doesn't matter how much I reason with myself, procrastinating is so much more fun. My object is sort of to spend as much time doing what I want, then do it at the last minute, extra fast, using a minimum of effort. Yes, I usually miss a night of sleep to do so. But I get more free time this way.

So, if you're like me, you need to find a mechanism that helps you break through the resistance to begin, rather that just learn to do it earlier. I'm 30 and haven't figured out what that mechanism is yet (beyond the deadline being hours or minutes away), but I'll let everyone know if I ever figure it out.