123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Differences between 3 and 8

I have a tritype of 8-3-7

My 7 tendencies are obvious to me, and not hard to get under control. However my 8 and 3 tendencies seem to be intertwined at times.

Inside of me is a child that I protect from being abused. But as far as I can tell this is applicable to many personality types.

I ignore my emotions and suffering in the way 8's have been described. However, my method for doing this is to dissociate from my emotions entirely. Its almost as if I bring all fights up into the clouds, far away, to distract from the child that's standing down on ground level. I stop feeling all things when I fight, except intensity and aggression.

Its said that E3's become disingenuine because their genuine selves are not appreciated enough. I feel similar to this. I feel like all my life I was too humble, too honest, too genuine, and its seemingly only gotten me fucked over by those who lie. This causes great anger within me, and when I see this behavior in other people, I want to ruin their lives.

My avatar illustrates how i often feel when I'm around strangers. I feel like a husk. People attack me and my defense mechanism is to simply ignore it. This often makes them angrier. Yet at the same time, this also makes me extremely difficult to read. I delete the human inside, and people cannot judge or understand me and become reliant solely on what I tell them, which in most cases is nothing. I become very silent around strangers. However if I mark you as a threat, I very obviously show this in my eyes with looks of hostility.

So, what are your thoughts on the differences between 3 and 8? Is there an easy way of telling the two apart? My body seems to do whatever it wants to regardless what I think is going on. I'm very conscious of my actions, but not the motivations for them.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    I have a tritype of 8-3-7
    Cool crazy tritype ;p

My 7 tendencies are obvious to me, and not hard to get under control.
    I'm curious, what does this mean exactly, what kind of stuff is the 7 and how do you get it under control?

However my 8 and 3 tendencies seem to be intertwined at times.
    Hmm I guess you mean that emotionally? How is your approach/attitude to success?

I ignore my emotions and suffering in the way 8's have been described. However, my method for doing this is to dissociate from my emotions entirely. Its almost as if I bring all fights up into the clouds, far away, to distract from the child that's standing down on ground level. I stop feeling all things when I fight, except intensity and aggression.
    After the fight, do you get in touch with other emotions again?

Its said that E3's become disingenuine because their genuine selves are not appreciated enough. I feel similar to this. I feel like all my life I was too humble, too honest, too genuine, and its seemingly only gotten me fucked over by those who lie.
    Would you mind talking about this in a bit more detail?

Btw this doesn't sound too 3-ish to me at this point unless by "getting fucked over" you meant that you got no appreciation. So, let me know if I interpret this right or now.

My avatar illustrates how i often feel when I'm around strangers. I feel like a husk. People attack me and my defense mechanism is to simply ignore it. This often makes them angrier. Yet at the same time, this also makes me extremely difficult to read. I delete the human inside, and people cannot judge or understand me and become reliant solely on what I tell them, which in most cases is nothing. I become very silent around strangers. However if I mark you as a threat, I very obviously show this in my eyes with looks of hostility.
    I dunno but if all you do is hold yourself back, keep silent, that doesn't sound like an active effort at building an image like a 3 does in an adaptable way.

Btw are you comfortable doing this?

So, what are your thoughts on the differences between 3 and 8? Is there an easy way of telling the two apart? My body seems to do whatever it wants to regardless what I think is going on. I'm very conscious of my actions, but not the motivations for them.
    3 is an image type, goes by external standards more, needs admiration. 8 is more independent in this sense.

3 is in attachment group, while 8 is in rejection group: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/ar...p#.UtkomdJdXAw

3 is in competency group, 8 is in the reactive/emotional intensity group: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/ha...p#.Utkoz9JdXAw

Also 3 vs 8: http://pstypes.blogspot.hu/search/la...dentifications

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Cool crazy tritype ;p

I'm curious, what does this mean exactly, what kind of stuff is the 7 and how do you get it under control?

Hmm I guess you mean that emotionally? How is your approach/attitude to success?

After the fight, do you get in touch with other emotions again?
    yes and no. Frustration is dispersed.

Would you mind talking about this in a bit more detail?

Btw this doesn't sound too 3-ish to me at this point unless by "getting fucked over" you meant that you got no appreciation. So, let me know if I interpret this right or now.
    No I get fucked over because people lie and get their way when I've been too genuine and real.

I dunno but if all you do is hold yourself back, keep silent, that doesn't sound like an active effort at building an image like a 3 does in an adaptable way.

Btw are you comfortable doing this?
    not entirely comfortable. I'd rather be loud obnoxious self in all situations. I can do it but I start to go crazy if it goes on for too long. I start to feel bottled up.

3 is an image type, goes by external standards more, needs admiration. 8 is more independent in this sense.

3 is in attachment group, while 8 is in rejection group: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/ar...p#.UtkomdJdXAw

3 is in competency group, 8 is in the reactive/emotional intensity group: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/ha...p#.Utkoz9JdXAw

Also 3 vs 8: http://pstypes.blogspot.hu/search/la...dentifications

hmm. Well you make it sound very cut and dry.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I had a thread called the "Ice man and the Child" that you might want to have a look at.

It's way back in the archives from when I first joined though I think.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    yes and no. Frustration is dispersed.
    How about other emotions then?

No I get fucked over because people lie and get their way when I've been too genuine and real.
    Ah I see.. mind talking about some real life examples?

not entirely comfortable. I'd rather be loud obnoxious self in all situations. I can do it but I start to go crazy if it goes on for too long. I start to feel bottled up.
    But what happens if you allow yourself to be your loud obnoxious self?

hmm. Well you make it sound very cut and dry.
    Did the - very - short summary or the links help?

If you answer this question "How is your approach/attitude to success?", that might also help.

And when I was asking about 7, that was just out of curiosity because I've been wondering about 7 vs 8 myself. So I wondered what you meant by the 7 stuff when I asked: "what kind of stuff is the 7 and how do you get it under control?"

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I had a thread called the "Ice man and the Child" that you might want to have a look at.

It's way back in the archives from when I first joined though I think.
    This one right?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes.

It really takes me back reading it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes.

It really takes me back reading it.
    oh cool so you identify sorta with what I talk about. Except I'm not an ice man, I'm more of a... Idunno, some elemental entity. A cold soul-less elemental being masking a weak soul underneath. Maybe I am an ice man. Idunno I'm kinda like this protoss archon:

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've been able to stop dividing the parts of my personality as starkly as I used to (and you still do).

It's worked a lot better to combine the cold ice man side, the social side, and some of the hidden child side.

Permabanned

8s are the ones with the child inside. 3s wear masks. A 3's image is their identity. They are the ones with the fear of being empty inside.

Threes stand to gain the most attention and success from the society, but also end up among its greatest victims—estranged from their own heart’s desire, empty, and emotionally isolated, while never knowing what it is they are doing wrong.
    Harvey from the show suits is a 387 I think.