First 1234 Last

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by badger055 View Post
    Harvey from the show suits is a 387 I think.
    Yeah I agree, I was always pretty sure he was a 3. How about Mike Ross?

I liked your summary 8 vs 3 here too

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I've been able to stop dividing the parts of my personality as starkly as I used to (and you still do).

It's worked a lot better to combine the cold ice man side, the social side, and some of the hidden child side.
    How did you do that?

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

@Azure Flame

Did I ask too many questions here or what?

3 - status, assertive, competent
    8 - power, assertive, reactive

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Yeah I agree, I was always pretty sure he was a 3. How about Mike Ross?

I liked your summary 8 vs 3 here too
    ENTP 782 probably.

A few random thoughts:

8s are instinctual - it's all about power, anger, conflict, stance, presence, energy and what to do with it
    3s are receptive - it's all about identification, admiration, success, dishonesty

3s are deceptive where 8s are honest. A 3 is out of touch with his true feelings, an 8 wears them on his sleeve.
    3s are manufactured, 8s are warts 'n all
    3s are composed, 8s are angry
    Hello

garbage

3s are more calculating, for good or for bad. With 8s, what you see is what you get. Yeah?

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by entpersonal View Post
    3 - status, assertive, competent
    8 - power, assertive, reactive
    How would you elaborate on status vs power?

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    A few random thoughts:

8s are instinctual - it's all about power, anger, conflict, stance, presence, energy and what to do with it
    3s are receptive - it's all about identification, admiration, success, dishonesty

3s are deceptive where 8s are honest. A 3 is out of touch with his true feelings, an 8 wears them on his sleeve.
    3s are manufactured, 8s are warts 'n all
    3s are composed, 8s are angry
    As for the bolded: deceit is the vice of the 3, why not mention the vice of the 8 for comparison instead of taking a negative trait of 3 and contrasting it with a generally positive trait of 8?

Btw I'm sure you didn't mean 8's wear every emotion of theirs on their sleeves. Anger, sure...

Hmm I read 3's can also be angry but they can and will control expression of it more, according to goals.

What kind of stance did you mean about 8's?

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

I'd like to add some more contribution on the 3 vs 8 comparison... Attitude to success vs failure is probably different. But it would be nice if someone who's more experienced with enneagram would elaborate on the difference.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

@valaki To correct that comparison so it contains both negative words but still maintain the essence of what @VagrantFarce was going for (which I agree with), I'd say this:

3's are deceptive/polished, 8's are blunt/vulgar.

To the O.P. I've made a study of 8 and the types that commonly mistype as such (3, cp 6, 7w8). I find the main differences between 3 and 8 can be found in the already aforementioned links. That said, I think the main points are:

- Image: 3's are very aware of this and can change it to suit their needs, environment, success rate. They desire their image to match that of their culture's desires. 3's I have known are very conscious about their physical presentation and it's fitting with cultural ideals (slightly less for a wing 4 than wing 2). 8 on the other hand is much more individual, and presents the self however they see fit, regardless of the opinions of others. They like what they like, and public opinion matters not. 3's need praise from others, 8's could care less (and in my experience, don't even notice).

- Heart vs. Gut: 3 is a heart type and thus desires the love of others-- they feel that in order to be loved, they must be successful/be a winner. Conversely, 8 is a gut or instinctive type, they act on impulse and live in almost "survival" mode.

- Independence vs. Social: 3 is one of the most extroverted Enneagram types, their image and success relies on social community. 3 tends to be the "showman", entertaining and impressing others with their charm and achievements. 8's on the other hand are more solitary creatures, they can of course be social and extroverted, but independence from the control of others is one of their main ideals. 3's schmooze and flatter, 8's merely challenge and push others buttons.

@valaki In regards to your question about their attitudes toward success and failure, I believe 3 and 8 attitudes are similar but their motivations are very different. 3 dislikes/fears failure and strives for success to attain love from others (they believe they must be successful to be loved), this is (as aforementioned) why they are in the heart type group. 8 on the other hand desires success and fears failure because they literally believe the entire universe is on their shoulders. It's a control/power thing that stems from mistrust of others (or the competence/ability of others to do what needs done). 8's desire success so they can attain the power to remain always independent and self sustaining.

I think it's also important to note that it is far more likely for a 3 to mistype as an 8 than visa versa, mainly because 8 is among the three least common types (and 3 is one of the more common).

I hope that helps.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨