User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default A Serious Question From a 9

Are there any 4's out here who use indifference as a defense mechanism? And if so, why do you use it as such?

I'm really curious to know, so any comment/opinion is appreciated. Thanks!
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    Are there any 4's out here who use indifference as a defense mechanism? And if so, why do you use it as such?

I do that 24/7...people can't hurt your feelings that much, when they think you don't give a shit

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I do this all the time. I care very deeply about so many things, and in the past people have used this against me. If they don't know what wounds you, they have a harder time getting to you.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Maybe when I was less healthy, and specifically when pertaining to Envy. If someone wore something I admired I would pointedly ignore them (so as not to get angry, product of Sx 4) or if everyone loved a certain musician or raved about a specific place I would not even give it a chance. It's almost an elitist style defense mechanism that prevents us from directly expressing envy, but it also could be a reaction (revulsion really) to anything mainstream, commonplace, inauthentic or popular.

Sorry, we can be weird.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yes, and I see some connection to 5 also. I use indifference to demotivate myself from acting, especially when faced with issues of integrity (owning to lack of it when my indulgences have led to self-sabotage or having to face a compromise head-on where it's ideal-self vs desire). Indifference is a lack of emotional drive - it's not caring. I cultivate "not caring" on purpose. I suspect this is more automatic for 5s, so that it's not cultivating anything but just experiencing it, but I still get to the point of really not caring.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe