User Tag List

123 Last

WhoCares

Default What the fuck do you do with your life?

Help me out here, I've come to the point of realising I've got nothing else to do with the remaining 50 or so years I've got left on the planet. Playing 'human' kind of sucks and I spend my days devising new ways to avoid other people. Heres the thing....i just dont find people interesting the way others find people interesting. I can mimic interest with head nodding and listening but at the end of the day I do that to pass minutes not because I actually care about anything they might tell me about themselves. Truth be told, other people are right down on my list of priorities below cleaning out the cat litter tray and scrubbing mould off the shower.

But this whole 'life' thing is set up to interact with other people so I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Wish I had an ambition to call my own right now...so fess up what have you other 5's out there decided upon in order to bring some point to existence? Do I just stay in my current job until I fall off the twig? I was going to get a little more proactive about the falling off the twig bit but that's not allowed for discussion here.

I seem to be suffering from a combination of severe boredom, lack of focus and people phobia.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I kinda relate. I work with Law, so it's hard to avoid having to deal with people in a daily baisis.

I'm planning to focus on financials trading once I save enough money not to be heavily dependent on my results... I find it pretty exciting. have you ever tried it?

I've tried poker, but the field is far too competitive nowadays.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What about that low impact farming thing? You seemed to love it.

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Because it's just my wing, I probably don't feel this as heavily as a core 5 (but I still experience it). I say follow your interests, and make life about that! Your research, or the projects you are working on, or whatever you are interested in. Then, if people happen to be a detail of that life, then all you have to do is figure out how to work with them. The way I experience the topic in question is by being uber selective about who I actually form deep friendship with (that could also be my Sx talking). This sounds cold (eh, probably not to you guys), but I've grown to the point where I can have coffee with someone I don't know very well as sort of a trial run. If they annoy the crap out of me, I don't ever have to spend time one-on-one with them again. If we totally click though, then I want to spend time getting to know them.

I have no idea if that helps, but I hope so.

Also if you think about it, in order for 5 to integrate to 8 they have to come out into the light of day a bit. They still maintain their independance, but in a healthy way that does involve other people.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I took on a job I knew I would hate for all the type 5 reasons: talking to customers all day. The benefit is that I get to fix computers. The side-benefit is that, over the last year on this job, my people confidence has gone way up, not just on the job, but everywhere.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I find looking for interesting things in people sort of a game, and that in turn allows me to see more in them. However, that's not really an answer for everyone and I recognize that. At times separating work from life is easier when your life outside of work is interesting, and work becomes easier to deal with when there is that balance. Work, however, must have enough pros to keep you there of course, a job that makes you feel dead is never worth it.

What about a messy brainstorming session where you write down everything that does interest you without judging the words you come up with - then take those words and learn more about whatever you've written or how to do it? It may or may not have the effect of bringing you in contact with more interesting people, i.e people that share your interests. It doesn't take as much to get decent at something. I really liked this video and it made me feel like I could do more in the time I have on the Earth.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Help me out here, I've come to the point of realising I've got nothing else to do with the remaining 50 or so years I've got left on the planet. Playing 'human' kind of sucks and I spend my days devising new ways to avoid other people. Heres the thing....i just dont find people interesting the way others find people interesting. I can mimic interest with head nodding and listening but at the end of the day I do that to pass minutes not because I actually care about anything they might tell me about themselves. Truth be told, other people are right down on my list of priorities below cleaning out the cat litter tray and scrubbing mould off the shower.

But this whole 'life' thing is set up to interact with other people so I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Wish I had an ambition to call my own right now...so fess up what have you other 5's out there decided upon in order to bring some point to existence? Do I just stay in my current job until I fall off the twig? I was going to get a little more proactive about the falling off the twig bit but that's not allowed for discussion here.

I seem to be suffering from a combination of severe boredom, lack of focus and people phobia.
    You and I have a lot in common. All my life I have been very unmotivated. I don't think I am inherently apathetic, though--I just think the system didn't fit me like it does most people. 5's like to do their own thing at their own pace. I particularly hated school, but my parents ripped me to shreds if I ever did bad, so I suffered through it but never felt the least bit inspired, like I was doing it because I believed in it.

And the unanswerable question is (and was), what would I have done otherwise? I believe I would have found something if I had been allowed to follow my own desires.

One person I look at and relate to in this regard is Hunter S. Thompson. Who could have ever put him in a box? Could he have ever been like everyone else, even if he'd tried? If so, it would have been a great loss. Look at the beginning of Walk The Line. Cash was a door-to-door salesman for a while, doing what he thought he was supposed to do, but never feeling inspired. Again, what a huge loss it would have been if he hadn't wound up doing what he was passionate about, even if initially it just looked like wasted time.

I don't think you'll be able to run the rat race forever. The very fact that you're asking this question shows that you're making progress towards focusing more on your own dreams--which you may not even recognize at this point. Personally, I ran the rat race until I simply couldn't anymore. I literally got too depressed to go on like I was.. which isn't a pretty sight, but it's how things happened nonetheless. I wish I could say I've found something, but I've still got time. As it is right now, I mostly live the life I want. I do what I want. I just wish I had that picturesque life sometimes... the life I always felt like I was supposed to live, and sometimes still feel guilty for not living.

But hey--who is great that is normal? Be a character. Be controversial. Believe in yourself. Whatever you see in the world is important. Given who you are and what you post about, I'd say you have a lot of potential because you have a great capacity for understanding and shedding light on situations. The world needs that, very badly. If it's a question of money and recognition, well, I don't know. But I can say, it's something to do with your life.

MBTI
    INTP

This may seem bizarre (I don't even play the game), but I liked these (it's a playlist with each of 9 characters)

videos about the characters in Team Fortress for this reason. Each one is different, but fully themselves. A character. Does Heavy look at Scout and spend much thought on how he falls short in all the ways Scout excels? No, and that's what makes each one so brilliant. They are all different creatures.

I see myself as kind of like that. I do what I do, not what I don't do. Maybe I'm crazy and bizarre but at least I'm somebody. And that's what is intriguing and exciting about me.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I kinda relate. I work with Law, so it's hard to avoid having to deal with people in a daily baisis.

I'm planning to focus on financials trading once I save enough money not to be heavily dependent on my results... I find it pretty exciting. have you ever tried it?
    I worked in that field very early in my career. It is exciting but I'm not up on human psychology enough to be able to see the swings coming. I'm also really risk averse so the stress levels would be insane for me playing with my own money.

Yeah the permaculture thing is a project I love and I'm still going ahead with it, but the Last few days fuelled a bit of a crisis for me. The thing is, that project requires me to leave my current job. But i dont hate my job and I love the $$ it brings. Its very easy work for very good money and highly portable. I can move to any one of five cities in which our company is based and take my job with me. It's a social job and every day is a performance which I also love but it takes the crap out of me. Its also the kind of job where your life just quietly seeps away and years pass without you realising it. There is no real reason for me to leave but at the same time the idea I could be in this job a decade very easily scares the crap out of me. Theree is no progression beyond where I am now, you're just spinning wheels while raking in cash. I thought I was ready to leave but the lifestyle and cash are making it hard to. It's also a job that once you're on the outside, it will be difficult to get back in on my current working conditions. I'm also afriad that if I do leave and work on my farm fulltime, I may never connect with society again. I'd become the crazy woman living in the hills that no-one ever sees or knows anything about. Not sure I'm ready to become the resident weirdo.

I have to get ready for work now but I'll come to this thread in about 10hrs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I worked in that field very early in my career. It is exciting but I'm not up on human psychology enough to be able to see the swings coming. I'm also really risk averse so the stress levels would be insane for me playing with my own money.
    Human psychology can be learned, but a big aversion to risk would be hard to overcome.

Yeah the permaculture thing is a project I love and I'm still going ahead with it, but the Last few days fuelled a bit of a crisis for me. The thing is, that project requires me to leave my current job. But i dont hate my job and I love the $$ it brings. Its very easy work for very good money and highly portable. I can move to any one of five cities in which our company is based and take my job with me. It's a social job and every day is a performance which I also love but it takes the crap out of me. Its also the kind of job where your life just quietly seeps away and years pass without you realising it. There is no real reason for me to leave but at the same time the idea I could be in this job a decade very easily scares the crap out of me. Theree is no progression beyond where I am now, you're just spinning wheels while raking in cash. I thought I was ready to leave but the lifestyle and cash are making it hard to. It's also a job that once you're on the outside, it will be difficult to get back in on my current working conditions. I'm also afriad that if I do leave and work on my farm fulltime, I may never connect with society again. I'd become the crazy woman living in the hills that no-one ever sees or knows anything about. Not sure I'm ready to become the resident weirdo.
    Lol, valid objections. Anyways, there aren't risk-free options available, which is standard. I took some calculated risks leaving a fairly good paying routine job 3 years ago, and that decision is paying dividends now. I told myself there was no way I would work on that job until retirement (that much was a given), and came up with a plan B.

Job wasn't bad either, but it consisted in around 6 hours a day wasted without any sort of mental challenge and/or intellectual growth.