• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Does sleep deprivation help 4s?

badger055

Permabanned
I suspect it's because of the 4 in my tritype that I feel better, more creative and more alive when I stay up late on purpose. I knew an ISFP 4 that would do the same thing by working graveyard shifts. Any correlation here?

Standuble

This is an interesting question as I've been trying to find out the answer to this for a long time. I usually get insufficient amounts of sleep through a combination of insomnia, later-than-ideal bed times (as in work days) and difficulty actually settling my mind enough to fall sleep when I first go to bed. As a result I have limited data in comparison for how I perform when I'm getting consistently good amounts of sleep (which is often reserved for vacations and time off work).

One thing I do notice (e.g. after two or three consecutive days with less than seven hours sleep) is that I spend my days light-headed (on one such occasion I actually felt I was in zero gravity) and in a "hazy" daze when interacting with the world. I've never smoked cannabis but I assume the states I feel are comparable to being stoned. Because of my fatigue I let mental imagery and ideas flow through me and I don't apply much effort into building upon them nor critically reining them in. I come across in the real world as smiling inanely and looking relaxed (maybe even vegetative) and my attitude to everything my mind is creating is to be receptive. However at other times it brings irritability and an increase in neurotic emotional states (this is more the case when at work however).

When I get plenty of sleep however my mind feels more like a machine and is much more focused and arguably works at a much higher performance. It is debatable though whether the deprived state is helpful or has greater capacity. If I were to differentiate it in JCF terms (for my type) I would say that sleep deprivation = enhanced Ne but with a negative Fi bend and sufficient sleep = full Fi capacity but reduced Ne performance.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, this doesn't apply to me. I start feeling physically ill if sleep deprived, and just want to lay down and sleep.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy staying up late & often do not get enough sleep for it, but no, it does not help me. I think it does the opposite....it definitely harms me.

I actually need a min of 8 hours, ideally 10, and sometimes 12 hours of sleep to feel good. I am at my best when I am well-rested, well-fed, and well-loved.

When I was a child and did not have to worry about practicalities & had someone telling me when to go to bed & waking me up, I was very creative & not really moody in a melancholy way (although temperamental still).

As an adult, I still think I function at a higher level, even creatively, when I consistently care for my physical needs in a more orderly way. It's just hard for me to create/maintain some schedule where I do that because the very idea of a schedule is :sick: , and then I often don't stick to it because I am not in the mood & I overestimate what I can do in a time period (which then discourages me when I can't do it).

I have no trouble falling asleep when I want (and pretty much wherever), but I have trouble getting up, as a part of me just wants to spend the rest of my life in bed in a half-dream state.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoy staying up late & often do not get enough sleep for it, but no, it does not help me. I think it does the opposite....it definitely harms me.

I actually need a min of 8 hours, ideally 10, and sometimes 12 hours of sleep to feel good. I am at my best when I am well-rested, well-fed, and well-loved.

couldn't agree more.

my tentative explanation is that lack of sleep is bad for people with mood regulation issues. i think sleep is central to emotional well-being and resiliency, and is definitely part of the triad oa mentions from which we derive our interpretations of our mood/felt well-being. these are the places at least in the mind body system in which we've clearly established that seratonin really underlies our basic mood mechanics, our contentment resiliency that funds our ability to let go of discomfort and perceived loss.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I'm in a creative flow when sleep deprivation hits, interesting things happen, which is why I used to intentionally do that as a teen. But then, I was a very difficult beast to live with then that I never want to be again. In all other scenarios (most of life), sleep deprivation is unambiguously harmful. The effects on mood regulation aren't worth it, and I try to get enough sleep because I have kind of grown up to dread them. Regulation itself is not impacted, but the will to regulate as opposed to indulging is.

I need eight hours of sleep as a baseline. Seven is harmless, and without an alarm clock I can sleep many hours. I prefer to use one even when it isn't necessary because I also relate to having a part of me that wants to live in my dreams, and I don't want it to win. My schedule keeping isn't perfect, but it's a habit to calculate the hours of sleep I will get before I go to bed, so I will at least be ready if a weak day is coming and know to take extra care of myself.

Schedules appeal to me, but my weakness with them is overconfidence in my ability to keep them in my head without using tools. If I am moved to, I may recalculate to justify a change of plans. This is dangerous because I convince myself with numbers that something will work when it is really based on a misperception of time and anything but an objective decision.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm happier and think freer and more inspired thoughts when I have a hangover, am incredibly tired are have so much shit happened to me that I'm ready to let the world burn. I don't know that anything has really come of it. I have an intuition that I get more done when I'm in good health and well rested and decide to sit and concentrate on something.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should be sleeping, but nooooooooooooooooooooo. I'm up here chatting away on the forum. *throws in towel*

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I have that thing where the later it gets, the more excited I get. I definitely do my best work at night, and if left to my own devices, I generally fall into a ~3am-11am sleeping schedule.

However, that's not to say I enjoy sleep deprivation. It doesn't enhance my performance in the slightest. If anything, it makes me crabbier and weepier, more unlikely to want to get up in the morning, and prone to fighting off sleep all day. I can't imagine sleep deprivation is a good thing for any type.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sadness & Misery compel me to sleep and write poetry because I can't face the world or keep it in my system, respectively. It's not sleep that makes me creative, it's emotion, which also causes sleep.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like this has more to do with instinctual variant than being a 4. sp's are probably more likely to be worse off without sufficient sleep, sx's can handle it if there's a fire in them, I don't know too many so 4s.
Edit: I don't know any so 4s

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sometimes, it depends though. If I pull an all-nighter it tends to help me, but not if I've been continually tired for days, that's when I tend to just slack.

thatpants

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
my tentative explanation is that lack of sleep is bad for people with mood regulation issues. i think sleep is central to emotional well-being and resiliency, and is definitely part of the triad oa mentions from which we derive our interpretations of our mood/felt well-being. these are the places at least in the mind body system in which we've clearly established that seratonin really underlies our basic mood mechanics, our contentment resiliency that funds our ability to let go of discomfort and perceived loss.

Agree, agree, agree. Like some others have mentioned, I absolutely prefer a late to bed, late to rise schedule, and tend to be more creative/interesting late at night. And if I get up at 7 (but was well-rested), I can keep going til 4 AM and do think that those later hours can be more productive/more engaging. But I am wrecked the next day if I can't sleep til noon. I really need those 8 hours.

As far as the state i am in's mention of sleep's role in helping us let go of discomfort/perceived loss...this article was interesting to me regarding sleep's role in helping us deal with stress. It's a little pop-psychology-esque, but opened up some trains of thought I'd like to follow a bit more:
http://m.theatlantic.com/health/arc...e-respond-to-stress-by-falling-asleep/282422/

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sadness & Misery compel me to sleep and write poetry because I can't face the world or keep it in my system, respectively. It's not sleep that makes me creative, it's emotion, which also causes sleep.

Agree, agree, agree. Like some others have mentioned, I absolutely prefer a late to bed, late to rise schedule, and tend to be more creative/interesting late at night. And if I get up at 7 (but was well-rested), I can keep going til 4 AM and do think that those later hours can be more productive/more engaging. But I am wrecked the next day if I can't sleep til noon. I really need those 8 hours.

As far as the state i am in's mention of sleep's role in helping us let go of discomfort/perceived loss...this article was interesting to me regarding sleep's role in helping us deal with stress. It's a little pop-psychology-esque, but opened up some trains of thought I'd like to follow a bit more:
http://m.theatlantic.com/health/arc...e-respond-to-stress-by-falling-asleep/282422/

Yes, Abbey's post also made me think of how much energy emotions expend. I always feel like I have less energy than other people, and I do think it's related to more emotional expenditure, especially the kind NOT directed at others in an interaction, because then it's not a reciprocal thing.

The connection to letting of perceived loss (not just generic stress) is interesting because of the 4 focus on "what is missing".

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember once in college I stayed up for three nights, and I felt like a 4. Maybe if I had spent all of college without sleep, I would have been able to pull off that sensitive artist thing.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh my goodness, this would explain so much. My 4 roommate pretty much NEVER sleeps during the week. She gets maybe 12 hours of sleep for the entire week, then sleeps for like 30 hours over the weekend.

B

brainheart

I used to have zero concept of sleep hygiene and had extremely erratic sleep behavior- two hours some nights, twelve others. Then I had a nervous breakdown and had to learn. I seem to be at my best with around seven hours. More than that and I swing into a depressive state. Less than that I begin to get manic. But I also feel a lot more boring and uncreative. I used to do a lot of art in the middle of the night.

MWill

Well, Marcel, I'm a 4w5. I've learned that sleep is essential for me, but doesn't help my creative output. I work best at 3-6am. But, my relationships suffer with sleep deprivation. I get wired and paranoid without sleep. I'm more stable with 6-7hours/night.